Rational man

Rational man

Enlightened
Oct 19, 2021
UK Assisted Dying Bill - Good news update. A Private Member's Bill is to be introduced in the House of Lords on Friday. Charlie Falconer, the Labour peer introducing the bill is quoted as saying " "Change is definitely coming." (CNN report). From my own observations, we have been here before and the result was disappointing but the UK has changed in many ways. Labour PM Starmer, a human rights lawyer will allow a free vote and if passed, the law will eventually change. Assisted Dying has gained much traction in recent Years with many high profile advocates and groups supporting the change in law. Of course, there's probably a long road ahead and one must expect the usual caveats, in particular, 'Gods representatives', other groups and will probably intervene. Notwithstanding this, im hopeful in the law will change and will provide options and relief for many people like me, who face uncertain health crisis and like me, constant pain.

• Love
Reactions: lachrymost, CloudyCoffe, uglyugly and 3 others
SilentSadness

SilentSadness

Sitting in the darkness.
Feb 28, 2023
I am very sceptical sadly, that government cares about anything but personal freedoms, it will probably end up like MAID in Canada, delayed eternally.

Reactions: lachrymost, uglyugly and Rational man
Chronicallyunwell

Chronicallyunwell

Aug 9, 2024
If it ever becomes available in the UK, it will be for terminal illness with 6 months left to live only. They will not be euthanising anyone with unbearable chronic pain sorry to say...

Reactions: lachrymost, uglyugly and Rational man
Rational man

Rational man

Enlightened
Oct 19, 2021
If it ever becomes available in the UK, it will be for terminal illness with 6 months left to live only. They will not be euthanising anyone with unbearable chronic pain sorry to say...
I agree.

Reactions: lachrymost and Chronicallyunwell
uglyugly

uglyugly

Student
Aug 24, 2024
I don't trust a single government on this planet whatsoever. However, it would be nice to see this pass. And you are right, the usual religious crowd will appose. I'd like to make a bumper sticker that says "Don't like suicide? Don't commit it." Kind of a play on the "Don't like abortion? Don't have one."

Reactions: Rational man
uniqueusername4

uniqueusername4

died a long time ago
Aug 13, 2023
I hope that eventually assisted suicide will be available for mentally ill/neurodivergent. It feels like I have a terminal illness, why can't I choose to die peacefully instead of waiting endlessly and miserably for an uncomfortable at best death option?

• Hugs
Reactions: Rational man and Lookingtoflyfree
Chronicallyunwell

Chronicallyunwell

Aug 9, 2024
I don't trust a single government on this planet whatsoever. However, it would be nice to see this pass. And you are right, the usual religious crowd will appose. I'd like to make a bumper sticker that says "Don't like suicide? Don't commit it." Kind of a play on the "Don't like abortion? Don't have one."
I just wish I knew in my country Im not gonna be tortured by illness until I die.

Chronicallyunwell

Chronicallyunwell

Aug 9, 2024
I hope that eventually assisted suicide will be available for mentally ill/neurodivergent. It feels like I have a terminal illness, why can't I choose to die peacefully instead of waiting endlessly and miserably for an uncomfortable at best death option?
Theres no chance whatsoever
Theres no chance whatsoever
I cant even get assisted dying for unbearable chronic illness, even paying for it lol