E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
Hello everyone!

If you are like me, the moment you log in to SS, your sight is immediatedly drawn to the upper left-side corner of your mobile, where a tiny white number shines brightly against a red square - a red square with a magical sign which shows you that you are liked, read, quoted, approved of, even ... loved.

It is precisely this tiny symbol which has come to govern out lives on social media, that I would like to talk about.

I am starting to feel a certain aversion to it. I don't know why. This aversion started at first to insinuate itself in my mind, and now I am almost inclined to stop using it.

So far, I have liked as a means to say "I read your post, I like your ideas, I love the way you think, I am shocked, I am saddened".

But I am beginning to wonder if maybe I should take the time to write a reply, instead of perpetuating this behaviour which I fear might (in some cases) breed despair for empty validation.

What are your thoughts on the like button?

• Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: crybaby, Quarky00, notjustyetagain and 2 others
exhausted

exhausted

Experienced
Oct 22, 2019
I hate when I see a heart-rending post by someone is distress with no replies but 22 assorted likes, but I see it as a show of support by people who may not know what to say, it's better than nothing. Sometimes I like something when I agree and that's all. Sometimes I enjoy receiving a like from someone with no explanation, especially if I have never seen them before. Very mysterious indeed. I think you should reply to people more, few would turn down a more substantiated concurrence. I "hug" some people's posts no matter what they say if they are having a bad time in the thread.

With regards to myself, I am fucking depressed, so if life wants to throw some cyber hearts and cuddles at me, imma take the boost. I don't want to get too dependent on that of course, but if I put effort into my replies and people appreciate it, then good for me. I am also a shy and unsure person irl so it is affirming for me to see people can like or love my contributions. You never know if your like is the positivity someone needed.

• Hugs
Reactions: Broken Chimera, Sensei, TrashBean and 6 others
E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
With regards to myself, I am fucking depressed, so if life wants to throw some cyber hearts and cuddles at me, imma take the boost. (...) You never know if your like is the positivity someone needed.

You are absolutely right! I didn't think about the like function from this perspective. I am glad you shared your thoughts with me.

• Wow
Reactions: TrashBean, nitrogen and exhausted
exhausted

exhausted

Experienced
Oct 22, 2019
No problem. Now I am debating whether to like your reply to me. Hmm....maybe I will be shocked by it. Ok, have a "wow".

Reactions: nitrogen, Soul and Epsilon0
E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
This is all just a hypothetical discussion. I don't think I will stop using the like button. I am just curious to hear how other members feel about it.

Reactions: nitrogen
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
It doesn't bother me here like it does on social media because, rather than vapid validation, the reacts feel like part of the conversation, such as, "I agree with what you said" or "I care." If someone has a question and they see that a response has a lot of agreement, that also contributes.

Reactions: Broken Chimera, Sensei, nitrogen and 2 others
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
I realized tonight that reacts can also be used to gang up on someone. So that kinda sucks, akin to the laugh react that mods removed because sometimes people were using it derisively.

As far as the love react, it can be used for love-bombing. It can manipulate emotions. I can get a dopamine bump from certain emoji reacts, which can alter my emotions in an inaccurate way, so I have to work through that to return to equilibrium.

Honestly, I don't see myself stopping using the like button, either. It is a way of communicating. But I wouldn't be upset if we no longer had react options.

Reactions: Broken Chimera, Sensei, nitrogen and 2 others
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
I confess to getting that 'liked' kick of dopamine. I think that's natural. Its a bit of a lazy way of communicating but that's how things are now. I do it myself when I've nothing to say but appreciated a post. I do, however, try to add a post in reply if a) I feel I have something to add or b) someone hasn't gotten any responses and its been up for hours. Sometimes people miss posts and they get easily lost in the morass, so its good to bump too. But I'm only human. I don't reply to everything and sometimes I just...can't.

Reactions: charlottewilts, Sensei and nitrogen
E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
But I wouldn't be upset if we no longer had react options.

I would prefer it actually!
I confess to getting that 'liked' kick of dopamine. I think that's natural. Its a bit of a lazy way of communicating but that's how things are now. I do it myself when I've nothing to say but appreciated a post. I do, however, try to add a post in reply if a) I feel I have something to add or b) someone hasn't gotten any responses and its been up for hours. Sometimes people miss posts and they get easily lost in the morass, so its good to bump too. But I'm only human. I don't reply to everything and sometimes I just...can't.

I read an article a long time ago about an experiment which showed how parts of the brain connected with reward and well-being lighted up when people saw they had messages or alerts on their Facebook page.

This is behaviorism in all its glory. We are all dogs in Pavlov's experiment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Quarky00, Sensei and nitrogen
nitrogen

nitrogen

Schrödinger's cat
Nov 5, 2019
@exhausted @Epsilon0 @GoodPersonEffed @Underscore

Dopamine bump coming your way from your SS lunatic (me). No need to return to equilibrium. JUST TAKE IT!!!

Screen Shot 2020 02 29 at 84849 AM

• Hugs
Reactions: exhausted and Epsilon0
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
He's cute! My mum would have loved him. Bless.
I would prefer it actually!

I read an article a long time ago about an experiment which showed how parts of the brain connected with reward and well-being lighted up when people saw they had messages or alerts on their Facebook page.

This is behaviorism in all its glory. We are all dogs in Pavlov's experiment.
Well I'm drooling now. But that's probably because its teatime. And somebody just rang a bell. :blarg:

Reactions: exhausted
E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
Behaviorism in a nutshell:

Pavlov turns on the light, kicks the dog, and the dog flies 2 feet.

After a couple of weeks, Pavlov turns on the light and the dog FLIES!

@Underscore