puppy9

puppy9

au revoir
Jun 13, 2019
You guys knows this better than people outside. So I'll post the question here.

If one wants to be a Social Worker, What advice would you give em?

Thanks

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: mediocre, forever21, Sensei and 4 others
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
Have a thick skin and a passion for helping others. Social work is tough from all aspects but it can be very rewarding at times.

You also need to keep up with current laws and policies. I'm sure these vary depending on country or type of social work you're interested in.

• Love
Reactions: mediocre, Élégie, forever21 and 3 others
BPD_LE

BPD_LE

The Queen of Meme
Aug 11, 2019
Trust your gut instincts.
Stay strict within your personal boundaries.
Never take anything personally.
Be honest and reliable.
Be genuine.
Remember you can't save everyone.

• Love
Reactions: mediocre, Élégie, forever21 and 4 others
voyager

voyager

Don't you dare go hollow...
Nov 25, 2019
Don't be sicker than the ones you're trying to help. :hihi:

I know that sounds rough, but I've seen some in the drugs bracket who were way too engulfed in the whole life style. Yes, they could relate to the person in question, but they were also a little too understanding, if you know what I mean, and the two of them were getting no where. Another didn't really interact at all after the first few weeks and just cashed in the check each month. So, my advice would be to be passionate and committed to the job, but also know your limits.

• Love
Reactions: justwhy?, Élégie, Sensei and 1 other person
F

Final Escape

I’ve been here too long
Jul 8, 2018
I believe this is a government created job I think right? I'm not sure. I heard it's not really great money but it might open u up to be able to be a life coach or something, where u might be able to work for yourself one day. Basically ure gonna be like a therapist but a lower ranking one. I could be wrong but this was the impression I got but I might not be correct. I think u have the temperament to be a great counselor or therapist of some type. I have read your posts and I do feel that this type of work would be a good fit for u. Im gonna look and see if my friend Aaron has any vids about this career and post it. The video just helps u understand about fake job or real job. Wether it's actually benefiting people or are people forced to pay for the service.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: puppy9 and BPD_LE
Jean4

Jean4

Remember. I am ALWAYS right.... until I’m not
Apr 28, 2019
Don't. It doesn't pay, and you will have student loans. You want to help? Volunteer.

I got my Masters in Social Work in the 80's. Also, when you get burnt out and want to leave the field, your degree doesn't transfer to other professions.
I believe this is a government created job I think right? I'm not sure. I heard it's not really great money but it might open u up to be able to be a life coach or something, where u might be able to work for yourself one day. Basically ure gonna be like a therapist but a lower ranking one. I could be wrong but this was the impression I got but I might not be correct. I think u have the temperament to be a great counselor or therapist of some type. I have read your posts and I do feel that this type of work would be a good fit for u. Im gonna look and see if my friend Aaron has any vids about this career and post it.
In the USA it can be government, for profit or non profits

• Love
Reactions: justwhy?, Sensei, puppy9 and 2 others
LegaliseIt!

LegaliseIt!

Elementalist
Nov 29, 2019
I have a family member that is a Social Worker, and she gets restless at her jobs after a few months. Two years after finishing university, she has had 6 jobs. She now can't work for the government anymore (they pay the best), and so she is limited to non-profits. As she continues to job-hop, she finds her pay and benefits getting lower. She has to stay in one city, because her son is in school there.

• Love
Reactions: forever21, Sensei, puppy9 and 2 others
ThingWithFeathers

ThingWithFeathers

Student
Sep 23, 2019
Hey @puppy9 , puppies make good social worker. Everyone loves puppies and all issues are resolved the moment you see them. I see that in you, lol.

When I was a kid, I used to think social worker is a fun job, it lets you socialize and work at the same time. Then I grew up and realized its not that easy... it's not like you spend a lot of time on a social website and you get to call yourself social worker.

If altruism drives you to this profession then it's great, because the reality is that it requires a lot of maturity to deal with vulnerable people, a lot of patience and compassion. They are pretty much practical psychologists with hands-on knowledge of resources and policies which keep changing from election to election.

Maintaining your cool and managing your own needs and staying rational at all times is of utmost importance otherwise instead of becoming a social worker you may end up becoming asocial worker, or worse... anti-social worker! :-D

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: protonic76, justwhy?, Sensei and 1 other person