willitpass

willitpass

Don’t try to offer me help, I’ve tried everything
Mar 10, 2020
People are constantly worried about pro-lifers and the view of this website in the media. There are always threads complaining about how no on represents us properly. There are threads trying to argue about how we aren't what they say we are. There are threads trying to change peoples minds. There are so many people so worried about what will come if this site gets taken down. I know the user base is constantly rotating, such is the nature of a site like this, but many new users aren't aware that we aren't the first, nor will we be the last, suicide forum.

I've gone to look back at ASH lately. Some for reading up on the methods. Some for the odd sense of reading the messages left behind by people who may well have caught their bus over 20 years ago. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe ASH was the first. I know it's where the phrase "catch the bus" originated. It went down sometime in 2002. Their community section is full of people trying to explain to "saviors" and "do gooders" what the nature of suicide community really is. If you do a quick search in your search engine of ASH you'll find articles from the early 2000s blaming ASH for suicides and saying it is a cult where people learn to die. This place is really nothing new. What we have to say is just an echo chamber of all of those before us. Some died in the 90s and left their last words on the forum. I'm sure many went on to either continue living or even to recover and leave behind the forums. Some carried on to bring about the next community of its kind. This is not a novel concept. It's just the next cycle in history.

That's the nature of humans. We yearn for connection to those like us. Especially in times of pain and hardship. People will always find a way to connect to people. One ship goes down another is built.

• Informative
Reactions: Forever Sleep, pleaseiwanttogo, sevennn and 10 others
Tesha

Tesha

Life too shall pass
May 31, 2020
So it was, so it is, so it will always be.

Memories are short, but human nature endures.

There will always be places like this, and for that, I am thankful.

Reactions: pleaseiwanttogo, Tac0Johnz, divinemistress36 and 4 others
sevennn

sevennn

Student
Sep 11, 2024
that's reassuring. where can i read the ASH forum. i tried to look it up but found nothing ☹️

Reactions: pleaseiwanttogo
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
Do you mean- you think it's pointless to worry about how other people (specifically 'normies' or pro-lifers) perceive us? Or, that this 'battle' has been raging on for decades with not much change?

I suppose ultimately, we're all hoping that assisted suicide will one day be accepted and legalised. I imagine that is the major ambition. For that reason, I think it does matter how those same people perceive us- they get to make the decisions that control our lives.

Issues like automatically coupling ideation with mental illness and mental incapacity are going to always be a problem because, we're never going to be given the right to autonomy if they think we are a bunch of crazies who can't reason. I suppose sites like this are a place for people to try and demonstrate that we can reason.

But yes, I guess it is pretty depressing that the same arguments have been put forward by members going on for decades most likely. I suppose that's why people do like the idea of some maverick journalist or writer, scientist, whoever- some brainy and respected person actually taking up our side of the argument and putting it out there persuasively.

Kadaver

Kadaver

let death be kinder than man
Aug 11, 2023
that's reassuring. where can i read the ASH forum. i tried to look it up but found nothing ☹️
I'd like to know where I can find it too. I tried looking but couldn't find anything