bennay

bennay

Lost traveler
Sep 2, 2021
I've had so many reasons to question life and I started thinking about technology advances and medicine.
I'm thinking that if the world doesn't change in the perspective of suicide and dying, when and IF it becomes possible to successfully move ones consciousness to an artificial body or if a medical discovery leads to prolonging life for another 100 years, we are still going to be viewed as irrational and crazy because "any sound person wants to live as long as possible" or "suffering physical ailments won't be a problem anymore if your conscious is moved to an artificial body"
Everyone should be granted the right to choose instead of being forced into living a life they don't want as it is.
I know these possibilities are probably a ways off and probably after most if not all of us will be gone anyway but I feel for the people after who may have to face this possibly.

I-can-only-imagine

I-can-only-imagine

Student
Apr 26, 2021
I hate how they keep talking about trying to cure cancer or extend lives yb curing "old peoples illnesses" such as dementia. We should be focusing on how to make their passing better, better care for them, not extending life. The world is already fucked and how people expect it to sustain people who live so much longer, is beyond me.

Reactions: ShornSoloists and bennay
Darkover

Darkover

Angelic
Jul 29, 2021
i'm willing to bet we could never get free, The idea of transferring your consciousness, to another person or to a machine therefore turn out to be impossible even in the long run, there's no chance of uploading your brain into a computer, the brain runs on chemicals computers are pure numbers, consciousness the phenomenon as we now generally see it are simply not understood at all.

Reactions: bennay
bennay

bennay

Lost traveler
Sep 2, 2021
i'm willing to bet we could never get free, The idea of transferring your consciousness, to another person or to a machine therefore turn out to be impossible even in the long run, there's no chance of uploading your brain into a computer, the brain runs on chemicals computers are pure numbers, consciousness the phenomenon as we now generally see it are simply not understood at all.
Consciousness itself is still a large gray area but there are a few foundations that are attempting to understand and make this work. Possible or not, it just got me thinking about the fact that if something like this were actually to happen, how unfortunate it would be for anyone who wants out.

Rayzieka

Rayzieka

Not Really Here
Apr 28, 2021
I feel like by the time we get to that the world may be more understanding. They say we're over populated as well so it would be strange for them to want everyone to stay an extra 100 years.

bennay

bennay

Lost traveler
Sep 2, 2021
I feel like by the time we get to that the world may be more understanding. They say we're over populated as well so it would be strange for them to want everyone to stay an extra 100 years.
What are your thoughts as to why they are forcing it on us right now?

Fadeawaaaay

Fadeawaaaay

Visionary
Nov 12, 2021
Nobody is forcing anything. There are people who genuinely want to live longer and A lot of people are living longer and healthier. Not everyone, Of course.

FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
In my opinion, there is nothing good about prolonging life. Life is tedious and boring. I have no interest in life. The life expectancy is long enough as it is. We do all deserve a right to die, after all it is our life and our decision. However many people live under a delusion that life is always worth living and allowing us a peaceful exit at a time of our own choosing would shatter this false belief.

Reactions: markimobzzdeasui, ShornSoloists and bennay
Darkover

Darkover

Angelic
Jul 29, 2021
life is just a ride you can get off it at any time, my bother ended his relationship with his wife they have two children togther, she has take 4 overdoes in the last year, obviously because she wants the pain of the relationship breakdown to end, the government will never give everyone the right to die when ever they decide when life is nolonger worth lving because it would just set off a mass exodus.

Last edited:
Rayzieka

Rayzieka

Not Really Here
Apr 28, 2021
I think the reason we're kept alive as long as possible is entirely for profit from families that can't let go.
But I think as we come to accept more and understand illnesses and be better aware that people might start to see how terrible it is to make someone suffer and stay around just for them.
Even if they understood- its a difficult thing, but moving forward I feel people are going to be more accepting. Even if it takes another hundred years.

bennay

bennay

Lost traveler
Sep 2, 2021
Nobody is forcing anything. There are people who genuinely want to live longer and A lot of people are living longer and healthier. Not everyone, Of course.
And that's GREAT for those people but this conversation is about others who don't want it, being put in a position where they aren't given a right to choose, because there is always going to be the side that thinks life is ALWAYS worth living no matter what and the side that has something to gain from prolonging life regardless of its it wanted or not.
I think the reason we're kept alive as long as possible is entirely for profit from families that can't let go.
But I think as we come to accept more and understand illnesses and be better aware that people might start to see how terrible it is to make someone suffer and stay around just for them.
Even if they understood- its a difficult thing, but moving forward I feel people are going to be more accepting. Even if it takes another hundred years.
I hope as we move forward, society would be more excepting. As of now though, we are overpopulated and it's still not acceptable for people to be given the right to choose unless they are pretty much dying already and considering greed seems to run quite a lot in society these days, it's just hard to hopeful for the future people in our position, you know what I mean?

Last edited:
Reactions: Fadeawaaaay