TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
This isn't the first story nor will it be the last one, but if anything, this is a textbook example of why there should be the right to die for everyone, not even just limited to terminally ill people (but people suffering in general).

Of course, the legal system (as messed up as it is) showed no mercy to this poor woman, who had to not only make the hard decision, but also fight her survival instinct (she intended to die with him), and of course, now, suffer legal consequences. Most of the comments on YouTube are in agreeance with the woman and her decision. The same with the comments on the news articles as well. I agree with said commentators and comments as I believe that she acted out of compassion, love, and selflessness, regardless of what the pro-lifers' and legal system would think. Sadly, the legal system (not a lawyer nor giving legal advice) sees her as a murderer and a monster, despite the facts and circumstances surrounding the case. Hopefully the jurors will see it differently though.

If we had the right to a peaceful, dignified exit, all of this would not have happened, and people would be able to say their goodbyes and well wishes for the person who is about to go. In this particular case, this is a very good example of why there should be a death with dignity law that extends to everybody, and much more so, for the terminally ill. It is quite appalling and disgusting that even in 2023, still the same number of states and jurisdictions (since 2021) have death with dignity laws (and of course, in our community we recognize as still being paltry at best). In addition to this, if and when more states legalize death with dignity laws, I would hope they expand it further to not just include terminally ill patients, but also those with irremediable (long term and oftenly permanent) conditions so they are not forced to endure for years and decades of unnecessary suffering.

What do you guys think?
@FuneralCry @RainAndSadness

• Informative
  • Aww..
Reactions: Yavannah, StarlightDreamer, Antinous and 12 others
Shu

Shu

As above, So Below.
Jan 21, 2022
I literally just got done reading about this story on Facebook and was commenting saying the same thing. Thank you so much for the threads you make I really enjoy reading them and before becoming suicidal never thought about these things.

Reactions: Per Ardua Ad Astra, ksp and TAW122
J

jay308

Jan 16, 2023
completely agree

Euthanza

Euthanza

Self Righteous Suicide
Jun 9, 2022
Poor old lady, I sympathize with her facing this systemic societal failure to recognize sufferings and respecting one's right to choose end of life dignity. Hope they have mercy on her.

U

Unending

Enlightened
Nov 5, 2022
Whether she is convicted or not, this is already messed up beyond belief. I can't imagine being held without bail as an old lady who just had to help her husband die and have a long tense experience with the police. This should have never happened :(

Reactions: Per Ardua Ad Astra, ksp, TAW122 and 1 other person
ksp

ksp

Arcanist
Oct 1, 2022
i saw this yesterday too, similar to the UK case

https://sanctioned-suicide.net/thre...y-time-a-tragedy-happens.102772/#post-1766154

these predicaments show just how cruel society is, in 2023!
i'd like to see the end results of the case, but this is pure torment and horror

Last edited:
  • Aww..
Reactions: TAW122, pthnrdnojvsc and Per Ardua Ad Astra
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
Poor woman. I agree- it's disgusting that there aren't formal legal practices that allow someone chronically ill and of sound mind to have a peaceful exit. HOW is it humane to expect us to just sit by and watch the people we love endure months and even years of intense pain and suffering? Not all illnesses are treatable. Not all people are given the resources to live a quality of life we would deam liveable.

What gets me even more is the fear some people have to even just accompany their loved ones to an assisted suicide clinic. (If they happen to come from a country where assisted suicide is illegal.) I'm not so sure it's ever been followed up on- I don't think arrests have been made. Still- the threat is there. Like those poor people aren't suffering enough. That's with an 'authorised' suicide too! This world is SO messed up.

I can't see that poor lady facing punishment. (I certainly hope not.) Her actions were so brave and selfless (presuming there's no doubt it was a mercy killing.) You're absolutely right though- no one should be put in that position in the first place.

Reactions: Mayonaise, TAW122, Per Ardua Ad Astra and 1 other person
L

lionetta12

Just a random person
Aug 5, 2022
This isn't the first story nor will it be the last one, but if anything, this is a textbook example of why there should be the right to die for everyone, not even just limited to terminally ill people (but people suffering in general).

Of course, the legal system (as messed up as it is) showed no mercy to this poor woman, who had to not only make the hard decision, but also fight her survival instinct (she intended to die with him), and of course, now, suffer legal consequences. Most of the comments on YouTube are in agreeance with the woman and her decision. The same with the comments on the news articles as well. I agree with said commentators and comments as I believe that she acted out of compassion, love, and selflessness, regardless of what the pro-lifers' and legal system would think. Sadly, the legal system (not a lawyer nor giving legal advice) sees her as a murderer and a monster, despite the facts and circumstances surrounding the case. Hopefully the jurors will see it differently though.

If we had the right to a peaceful, dignified exit, all of this would not have happened, and people would be able to say their goodbyes and well wishes for the person who is about to go. In this particular case, this is a very good example of why there should be a death with dignity law that extends to everybody, and much more so, for the terminally ill. It is quite appalling and disgusting that even in 2023, still the same number of states and jurisdictions (since 2021) have death with dignity laws (and of course, in our community we recognize as still being paltry at best). In addition to this, if and when more states legalize death with dignity laws, I would hope they expand it further to not just include terminally ill patients, but also those with irremediable (long term and oftenly permanent) conditions so they are not forced to endure for years and decades of unnecessary suffering.

What do you guys think?
@FuneralCry @RainAndSadness

It's things like this and the treatment of the sick and elderly that makes me want to work for the right-to-die especially. It's a shame that it's not legalized where I live.

Reactions: TAW122, Per Ardua Ad Astra and ksp
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
That really does sound like a horrible situation, and it's very true that if this pro suffering society finally legalised euthanasia, situations like this would be prevented, but of course in general so much torment that is experienced in this world would be reduced.

It would be the most compassionate thing to let people go through a process of being able to exit peacefully rather than having to find a way to do it themselves with all of the risks and complications involved. It's so tragic how this society still stigmatises suicide to the extent that it does as the reality is that for many people leaving this world at a time of their own choosing is the preferable option and this fact should be accepted.

pickajack

pickajack

Student
Jul 17, 2020
Saw this on the news. So upsetting. Wish I was a more functional person with enough energy to take part in supporting right-to-die freedoms. I guess that's the sad reality of most oppressive legislation. The vulnerable population who could most benefit from change don't have the resources to fight for it.

Reactions: Per Ardua Ad Astra, TAW122, ksp and 1 other person
GasMonkey

GasMonkey

Nitrogen Master Race
May 15, 2022
Yeah it sucks that still there isn't a legal and easy right to die. I hope that in the future there will be "Sarco centers" everywhere.

But in part it's her fault for using a violent method, same as the UK guy who cut the throat of his wife (wtf?). Assisting suicide must always be done with a peaceful method. In fact, you can assist suicide in an undetectable manner with Nitrogen and then removing all the gear. This possibility is commented in the PPeH:

She should have contacted EXIT for guidance instead of blowing his head off with a firearm.

Reactions: TAW122 and ksp
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
Thank you for all the comments and interesting points discussed in this thread.
Saw this on the news. So upsetting. Wish I was a more functional person with enough energy to take part in supporting right-to-die freedoms. I guess that's the sad reality of most oppressive legislation. The vulnerable population who could most benefit from change don't have the resources to fight for it.
Indeed, the people who most benefit from it are oftenly suffering so much they don't have the resources (time, energy, and money in some cases) to push for change. The paradox comes in where the people who aren't suffering as much (but still suffering nonetheless) don't really put much thought or effort into fighting for change (despite having the means to do so), but those who need it the most are not able to even if they want to.

Yeah it sucks that still there isn't a legal and easy right to die. I hope that in the future there will be "Sarco centers" everywhere.

But in part it's her fault for using a violent method, same as the UK guy who cut the throat of his wife (wtf?). Assisting suicide must always be done with a peaceful method. In fact, you can assist suicide in an undetectable manner with Nitrogen and then removing all the gear. This possibility is commented in the PPeH:
View attachment 104001

She should have contacted EXIT for guidance instead of blowing his head off with a firearm.
I too, hope there are "Sacro centers" made available for the public and moreso for those who are suffering immensely. As for the wife using a "peaceful method", I think there are some obstacles that the wife faces and we don't know all of her circumstances specifically. Some of the things that come to mind are: Does she know of the PPeH, EXIT, and other similar organizations? Does she know of other peaceful methods? Assuming she does have knowledge of these organizations and resources, is she able to execute said 'peaceful method' reliably and successfully (meaning that she has the ability to set the method up and execute said method)? Also, did the husband and wife agree on CTB'ing via a firearm and not opting for another method (in other words, determined to CTB via firearm)? There are likely more questions to be asked but these are a few that come in.

Reactions: pickajack and Per Ardua Ad Astra