Lijden

Lijden

Mar 12, 2020
Its basically like a cult laying the problem only on you. Trying to get money by giving you meds and these sessions were they pretend to care about you. Repeating the same scripted advice. There are only negatives to getting therapy.

1. I am just patient number 200 for them and they just want to prescribe me medicine and reinvite me to higher their money income out of my pockets.
2. She will send me to a mental hospital if I actually speak my mind, probably driving me even more into the feeling of suicide.
Literally no wins

Knowing you pay simply for someone to listen to you and act like they care makes me wanna blow my brains out even more. What a waste of time.

• Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: Colt 45, Meena, NotCordelia and 14 others
E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
There's therapy and then there's... therapy!

Therapy with a professionally trained psychologist can be helpful in many cases. When I was in therapy my psychologist taught me strategies on how to cope with panic attacks.

She didn't pretend to be my friend or care about me. She merely treated me as if I was a pupil who needed to acquire a new set of skills. And she was a wonderfully competent teacher who saved me from a life time of anxiety.

I considered the therapy sessions a success.

PS: I am lucky enough to live in a country where health care services are free of charge.

Reactions: Loner, terry_a_davis, Absurdity and 7 others
Lijden

Lijden

Mar 12, 2020
There's therapy and then there's... therapy!

Therapy with a professionally trained psychologist can be helpful in many cases. When I was in therapy my psychologist taught me strategies on how to cope with panic attacks.

She didn't pretend to be my friend or care about me. She merely treated me as if I was a pupil who needed to acquire a new set of skills. And she was a wonderfully competent teacher who saved me from a life time of anxiety.

I considered the therapy sessions a success.

PS: I am lucky enough to live in a country where health care services are free of charge.
That's wonderful brother, if it is free the chance of the therapist using you to fill up their money paycheck is low. The people who go into that field don't do it necessarily for money but to actually wanting to help people out.

I never trusted my therapist since the moment when I explained my issues she advised me to get ¨some hobbies¨. Acting like I was an attention-seeking instagram poster who has ¨The most happiest depressed person you met¨ in their bio. She never tried to understand, since then I basically closed myself off and pretended/faked my way out of therapy, acting like nothing was wrong and i was doing fine. Making me more suicidal whenever i went to therapy.

Now i wont go back bcs of the fear of that again and the potential for them to put me in something like a mental hospital.

UpandDownPrincess

UpandDownPrincess

Elementalist
Dec 31, 2019
That's wonderful brother, if it is free the chance of the therapist using you to fill up their money paycheck is low. The people who go into that field don't do it necessarily for money but to actually wanting to help people out.

I never trusted my therapist since the moment when I explained my issues she advised me to get ¨some hobbies¨. Acting like I was an attention-seeking instagram poster who has ¨The most happiest depressed person you met¨ in their bio. She never tried to understand, since then I basically closed myself off and pretended/faked my way out of therapy, acting like nothing was wrong and i was doing fine. Making me more suicidal whenever i went to therapy.

Now i wont go back bcs of the fear of that again and the potential for them to put me in something like a mental hospital.

You need a different therapist. They're not "one size fits all."

I've had therapists I could snow under and walk away from. I've also had a couple of great ones. If I didn't move so much, I'd still have one of them.

Life, and nothing in it, is not completely binary. They are not all either good not bad, therapy is neither completely useless or endlessly useful and your life is not only completely black or nothing but filled with light.

The advice to distract yourself with a hobby is counseling 101. Did you throw it back at her? Ask what she suggested? Or just shut down, check out and decide she was an ass?

If you're not willing to talk to them, perhaps you should try talking here. We're a pretty supportive group and many of us have been where you are.

• Love
Reactions: Loner, Inferdan, BFishy and 1 other person
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
Were you receiving therapy from a prescribing psychiatrist?

Reactions: Otter
TeenIdle

TeenIdle

Feb 29, 2020
I used to go to therapy, but it sucked. The psychologist just said useless garbage and they give you an appointment once a month ir more... ugh the public mental health system sucks in Spain.

suicider

suicider

Jan 9, 2020
I had both. The best and the worst. My first one was a "newbie", but he stabilised me for four years. My last one was the worst one for me, although I guess he tried his best. But I know where you are coming from, when talking about that "Instagram"-stuff.

Mine even told me: "You are blaming capitalism or whatever for whatever happens in your life", even though I never mentioned anything remotely about that ever... Don't give up on therapy in general though!

• Aww..
Reactions: Loner and Indieblue
W

Wallace

Mar 5, 2020
I have had six in my time. They run the gamut, from good to bad, from caring to indifferent, from insightful to pedantic.

If you're not clicking with your therapist, tell them so, up front. If it's still not working out, walk away. You're in charge, you're the one who pays them.

Reactions: Loner
disabledandhopeless

disabledandhopeless

Enlightened
Mar 1, 2020
I don't like Therapists they are so pro life and always talks me into thinking positive/changing the way I think. Easier said than done.

Reactions: Lijden
Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
As always, let's observe the fact that psychiatric care works differently in different countries.

Reactions: Epsilon0
N

noko

Not tortured
Feb 14, 2020
Its basically like a cult laying the problem only on you. Trying to get money by giving you meds and these sessions were they pretend to care about you. Repeating the same scripted advice. There are only negatives to getting therapy.

1. I am just patient number 200 for them and they just want to prescribe me medicine and reinvite me to higher their money income out of my pockets.
2. She will send me to a mental hospital if I actually speak my mind, probably driving me even more into the feeling of suicide.
Literally no wins

Knowing you pay simply for someone to listen to you and act like they care makes me wanna blow my brains out even more. What a waste of time.
I honestly don't even get what "therapy" is other than bloody talking, and I don't understand how it damn helps. Maybe it helps others, but it's never helped me. And I agree with the rest of your post.

• Hugs
Reactions: Lijden and Indieblue
charlottewilts

charlottewilts

read Dostoyevsky
Jun 15, 2019
it depends on the root cause of your depression
if it's things like getting dumped or struggling with self-esteem talk therapy could be extremely beneficial
if it's existential dread or things out of your control like numerous crises, it's mostly useless, but you could learn to cope with it better
try it out, we're all going to die in the end anyways

Reactions: Loner and Sensei
Brink

Brink

Exhausted. RadHomo.
Feb 11, 2020
It's all about the relationship between you and the therapist and whether what they're skilled/experienced in is a fit for you. If you're a reader and want to recover, try: Why Therapy Doesn't Work and What We Should Do About It by David Smail.

Reactions: Loner and Lijden
Lijden

Lijden

Mar 12, 2020
I honestly don't even get what "therapy" is other than bloody talking, and I don't understand how it damn helps. Maybe it helps others, but it's never helped me. And I agree with the rest of your post.
Its not specifically the talking, its just the idea of knowing i have to pay for a person to simply listen to me. The thought automatically closes me off to that person and makes me more depressed knowing the best chance of someone wanting to help / listen to me is for me to pay them. Enforcing my believe noone cares lmao.

faust

faust

lost among the stars
Jan 26, 2020
I often feel that the whole medicine is just a major scam.
E.g. to treat cancer we pay tens grand bucks and there is no guarantee we will survive.
When a person complains the doctor that his vision is now worse, he gets a "lifetime prescription" for glasses. Glasses do not improve your vision, they merely help you see things. It is like feeding the dolphin on your left with canned fish saying it will improve health.
Same with psychiatry. All the therapies and medication is just a gamble. Will it shoot or won't. They don't want us to be healthy, they want our money. They want us to be cured all our lives. If Apple released iMac which works 30 years, Apple would bankrupt. That's how capitalism works.

Reactions: BFishy
E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
Cancer treatments are not "a scam". I know many people who are in remission or even cured. "A scam" implies dishonesty with the intent to deceive and that can hardly be argued to be the case with cancer treatments.

I think the word you are looking for is "a gamble". Cancer medication works for some cancers and some patients, but not for others.
I often feel that the whole medicine is just a major scam.
E.g. to treat cancer we pay tens grand bucks and there is no guarantee we will survive.
When a person complains the doctor that his vision is now worse, he gets a "lifetime prescription" for glasses. Glasses do not improve your vision, they merely help you see things. It is like feeding the dolphin on your left with canned fish saying it will improve health.
Same with psychiatry. All the therapies and medication is just a gamble. Will it shoot or won't. They don't want us to be healthy, they want our money. They want us to be cured all our lives. If Apple released iMac which works 30 years, Apple would bankrupt. That's how capitalism works.

B

BFishy

Student
Dec 25, 2019

Literally no wins

I find most therapists that I've met are like whores. Pay them and they will usually just say what you want to hear. Not that I've personally dealt with prostitutes but same difference. Just like lawyer's, show me the money and rush you out the door.

faust

faust

lost among the stars
Jan 26, 2020
Cancer treatments are not "a scam". I know many people who are in remission or even cured. "A scam" implies dishonesty with the intent to deceive and that can hardly be argued to be the case with cancer treatments.

I think the word you are looking for is "a gamble". Cancer medication works for some cancers and some patients, but not for others.
Some patients come when it is too late. And instead of saying it is too late they are taking money and giving false hopes that the patient will recover. I meant such cases. One of my relatives had 4 stage cancer and without therapy has lived for 8 years. Others taking therapy died the same year or the year after.

E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
Some patients come when it is too late. And instead of saying it is too late they are taking money and giving false hopes that the patient will recover. I meant such cases. One of my relatives had 4 stage cancer and without therapy has lived for 8 years. Others taking therapy died the same year or the year after.

Unless the people in your example had identical cancers, had lived identical lives and were identical twins I fail to see how your argument could convince anyone that the particular cancer treatment they received was a scam.

faust

faust

lost among the stars
Jan 26, 2020
Unless the people in your example had identical cancers, had lived identical lives and were identical twins I fail to see how your argument could convince anyone that the particular cancer treatment they received was a scam.
Trying to treat people with multiple metastases is a scam itself.

E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
Trying to treat people with multiple metastases is a scam itself.

We will just have to agree to disagree on this one!

Here's to Bulgakov, at least we both agree he is awesome :smiling:

Do you happen to like Gogol also? His Dead Souls is one of those delightfully comic and dark books perfect for november evenings.

Reactions: faust
faust

faust

lost among the stars
Jan 26, 2020
We will just have to agree to disagree on this one!

Here's to Bulgakov, at least we both agree he is awesome :smiling:

Do you happen to like Gogol also? His Dead Souls is one of those delightfully comic and dark books perfect for november evenings.
Ye, I think we just have different points of view :) And I liked Gogol's "Dead Souls". If you read in a very tranquil environment and immerse into every trait of a person, it is a very profound book! Sobakevich was one of my favourite lords. He was the closest, in my opinion, to get out of this rat circle. Pliushkin had the smallest chance. What did you like about this book mostly?

E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
Ye, I think we just have different points of view :) And I liked Gogol's "Dead Souls". If you read in a very tranquil environment and immerse into every trait of a person, it is a very profound book! Sobakevich was one of my favourite lords. He was the closest, in my opinion, to get out of this rat circle. Pliushkin had the smallest chance. What did you like about this book mostly?

As with almost all Russian literature, what fascinates me the most is the atmosphere: the rural Russia, with its people and landscape, and Chicikov (forgive my spelling, I am unsure) going from place to place, leisurely, yet in a hurry (if that makes sense) on this absurd mission. There's this immersive quality to Gogol, you feel drawn into the story, collecting the dead souls yourself, at once disgusted with yourself, and unable to stop.

faust

faust

lost among the stars
Jan 26, 2020
As with almost all Russian literature, what fascinates me the most is the atmosphere: the rural Russia, with its people and landscape, and Chicikov (forgive my spelling, I am unsure) going from place to place, leisurely, yet in a hurry (if that makes sense) on this absurd mission. There's this immersive quality to Gogol, you feel drawn into the story, collecting the dead souls yourself, at once disgusted with yourself, and unable to stop.
Have you ever read "Oblomov"? It is demonstrating russian mentality maybe better than any other books. But still my favourite is "Master and Margarita", nothing can replace it :)

E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
Have you ever read "Oblomov"? It is demonstrating russian mentality maybe better than any other books. But still my favourite is "Master and Margarita", nothing can replace it :)

No, I haven't, but I most definitely will. I know it's considered a classic.

F

Fizzel87

Mar 1, 2020
One to one I found pointless, group therapy however is helpful.

E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
Do you read in Russian or any other language?

Oh no, I read everything in English translation. I don't speak Russian. I studied comparative literature, that's why I am familiar with these works.

faust

faust

lost among the stars
Jan 26, 2020
Oh no, I read everything in English translation. I don't speak Russian. I studied comparative literature, that's why I am familiar with these works.
Oh, I do speak Russian and read all classics in Russian. However, I do know that "Master and Margarita" is translated very well. Have you watched series? There are English subtitles too.

E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
Oh, I do speak Russian and read all classics in Russian. However, I do know that "Master and Margarita" is translated very well. Have you watched series? There are English subtitles too.

That's impressive, I would love to learn Russian. Many years ago I saw a series, but it was black and white. Is that the one you are referring to?