sourcreamonion

sourcreamonion

Jun 25, 2020
That's because I'm a germophobe, Jennifer.

Reactions: Pisceslilith and TakeYourHappyPills
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
Yeah in the past when I went to mental health professionals (therapists, social workers, and counselors, etc.) they sometimes slip in "compliments" like that, it's almost as though they are trying to soften me up, disarm my thought process, so that I would easier for them to tear apart (later in the session or future sessions). It's really just a distraction that they do, even if they are sincere; since they are trying to detract from the main topic at hand. I haven't been to therapy in over two years and don't plan on it either. I have nothing to gain from them and potentially many to lose (saying the wrong thing, them thinking/assuming the worst and intervening, thus causing more trouble than help).

Reactions: Pisceslilith
T

TakeYourHappyPills

Nov 26, 2019
Something similar happened to a close friend of mine. I don't understand why the therapist told them that becuase it could be taken the wrong way and could be very invalidating

• Love
Reactions: sourcreamonion
sourcreamonion

sourcreamonion

Jun 25, 2020
Yeah in the past when I went to mental health professionals (therapists, social workers, and counselors, etc.) they sometimes slip in "compliments" like that, it's almost as though they are trying to soften me up, disarm my thought process, so that I would easier for them to tear apart (later in the session or future sessions). It's really just a distraction that they do, even if they are sincere; since they are trying to detract from the main topic at hand. I haven't been to therapy in over two years and don't plan on it either. I have nothing to gain from them and potentially many to lose (saying the wrong thing, them thinking/assuming the worst and intervening, thus causing more trouble than help).
That's how I felt whenever I was talking to counselors of any sort (I would specifically say school counselors, they never had the time of day for students). I've never thought about them using it as a way to soften me up and feel obliged to tell them personal details, however, I did feel as though it was a way for them to normalize the situation. As if you couldn't possibly be depressed if you "dress nice" so you must be fine, total backhanded compliments to imply that you were either lying or being overdramatic--hated it. I have stopped going to therapy a year ago, as well. They don't actually help, I find myself wanting to put on this "great day, haven't been better" act so I don't have to talk a lot with them.