Whited Sepulchre

Whited Sepulchre

Apr 26, 2020
"A scorpion, which cannot swim, asks a frog to carry it across a river on the frog's back. The frog hesitates, afraid of being stung by the scorpion, but the scorpion argues that if it did that, they would both drown. The frog considers this argument sensible and agrees to transport the scorpion. Midway across the river, the scorpion stings the frog anyway, dooming them both. The dying frog asks the scorpion why it stung the frog despite knowing the consequence, to which the scorpion replies: "I couldn't help it. It's in my nature.""
Are u a scorpion or the frog?
Makes me cry thinking of both of them.
Reminds me of the past and present.
Although, I never really could comprehend the moral, if there even ever was one, nor accept the common interpretations.

• Love
Reactions: BlackPoppet and William Barker
E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
The first and most obvious interpretation of this fable is that animals have certain instincts that dictate their behaviour. These instincts are irrepresible, meaning, no matter how much you try or want to fight against them, you cannot overcome them.

Human beings are basically no different than animals - we too are governed by instinctual, unconscious desires which are most often selfish in nature.

Freud calls these innate, unconscious instincts the id.

But, unlike animals, humans have, apart from the selfish id which has no notion of right or wrong, also an ego and a superego, according to Freud. In simplified terms, the ego and the superego regulate the id through various constraints so that the individual can function in society.

Now, you ask whether I am a scorpion or a frog. My answer is that, despite my id, I am a moral, rational being and I can choose how I allow myself to behave.

I am however fully aware of how problematic the terms "moral", "rational" and "choose" are. And my experience has taught me that using these words is the equivalent of opening up big can of worms, which I am not inclined to do right now.

So I'll leave it at that.