Somethingiswaddling

Somethingiswaddling

goober
Aug 19, 2023
Today i succesfully left the psych ward after lying my way through after i was brought there yesterday for saying i want to ctb to my mom. But before leaving i had an appointment with a psychatrist that was supposed to rate my mental illness or something. I was a bit suspicious of the guy because of everything i heard and saw about the mental health care system (in France at least), but i definitely wasn't prepared for what came next.

I felt like i was his rat and he was studying me, he spoke to me without any compassion, it was like he was having fun seeing i am suffering! It was so unnerving but i kept my cool in case it was a plan to make me lose it and force me into the ward for a very long time. But still... Then maybe I was unlucky and he was just bad at his job, but i am really starting to loose faith in the health care system... My friends and family encorages me to trust it, but atp i dont even know if i want to get better, if I want to keep fighting...

Anyone had a positive experience with a psych ward? Or is it just so bad that you want to get out at all costs? I dont want to go through something painfull again...

(PS: I hope this is the right channel to post that, I am unsure so please tell me if its not, I'll move it to the recovery channel)

• Hugs
Reactions: Lost Magic, lachrymost, quiet.rabbit and 9 others
Already Gone6

Already Gone6

Jul 31, 2023
The best experience I had in a psych ward was my first one. And it's only cause I was so young, full of life and hadn't been dealing with these mother fuckers for a long time yet.

Trust me, stay far away from these guys. You have the realize the mental health care system is nothing but a money making platform. The medications they give are not ibuprophen where you can just start and stop them. Then intend to get you hooked on them to where you can't quit.

You know when they say you quit heroine or something like that you go through withdrawals? Those are a joke compared to psych med withdrawals. If you have been taking psych meds for years, and a lot of people who fall in the mental healthcare trap do, it takes years to withdrawal from them.

Reactions: edu0z and idontfeellikeimreal
Holu

Holu

Hypomania go brrr
Apr 5, 2023
First off, the channel feature is honestly just a suggestion at this point since people post shit where ever lmao.

Also, while under no circumstance will I defend your psychiatrist since he seems like he needs to be shot, but that specific role does draw in the less compassionate people. The focus is purely medication and figuring out which medication would be best. Compassion is a bonus in psychiatrists but honestly not a requirement, which in all honesty is some bullshit since for medicated non-therapy going people it's the only person you're gonna talk to in mental health. It's also a lot harder to swap psychiatrists than it is for therapists, since they are less common. It's really tragic that you ended up with a Mengele, instead of someone who cares. Maybe try consulting your general physician or the mental health department of your hospital about a new psychiatrist should this be a regular thing.

As for the psych wards, they are shit. You are fortunate to have gotten out after a day, as from what I've heard about Europe they can hold you a lot longer than they hold us in the U.S.. Involuntary hospitalization is never fun, and completely dependent on the freedoms granted and the people locked with you. I find that if they are freaking out, I'm freaking out.

Thank god you're out of that. I'm sorry for what you went through. If you need to unload trauma or vent you are free to do so here or in dms. We actually understand the ideation so I promise we won't(and can't) lock you up <3
The best experience I had in a psych ward was my first one. And it's only cause I was so young, full of life and hadn't been dealing with these mother fuckers for a long time yet.

Trust me, stay far away from these guys. You have the realize the mental health care system is nothing but a money making platform. The medications they give are not ibuprophen where you can just start and stop them. Then intend to get you hooked on them to where you can't quit.

You know when they say you quit heroine or something like that you go through withdrawals? Those are a joke compared to psych med withdrawals. If you have been taking psych meds for years, and a lot of people who fall in the mental healthcare trap do, it takes years to withdrawal from them.
As much as I despise the current iteration of mental health I do want to say that they are HEAVILY deterred from prescribing more serious and dependent medication. Typically they almost always will start you on Sertraline or another low risk SSRI for fear of getting you hooked. Even if they suspect Bipolar or more severe disorders they will use Bupropion to start. This is actually a problem in itself as it delays people with more severe disorders from being properly medicated. Might be different for different country's, but at least in the US the more serious drugs are considered a last resort. They don't intend to cause addictions or overmedicate, but they will do it if they feel there is no other option(since CTB and PAS is so heavily frowned upon).

Last edited:
Reactions: ctb★prince
Somethingiswaddling

Somethingiswaddling

goober
Aug 19, 2023

Oh woaw... I wasn't too found of taking the meds he prescribed me, but now i definitely don't want them, like he was so mean about it that i just can't trust him. Thanks for the advice!!!

Holu

Holu

Hypomania go brrr
Apr 5, 2023
Oh woaw... I wasn't too found of taking the meds he prescribed me, but now i definitely don't want them, like he was so mean about it that i just can't trust him. Thanks for the advice!!!
I feel compelled to interject. Can I ask if you're intending to CTB and don't care about recovery? Can I ask what the meds he prescribed are? Can I ask how long you have been taking them?

It takes about 2 weeks for meds to settle, sometimes a bit more depending on person, prescribed amount, and the medication itself. Those first weeks might end up feeling like hell, but it's important to let it settle. It's also worth mentioning that the withdrawls wont be too serious if you take for two weeks. If recovery is your intent please at least consider researching and trying the medication. If you're worried, write a email to either ur dickface psychiatrist or a physician.

• Yay!
Reactions: Somethingiswaddling
ctb★prince

ctb★prince

villain otd
Jul 7, 2023
Today i succesfully left the psych ward after lying my way through after i was brought there yesterday for saying i want to ctb to my mom. But before leaving i had an appointment with a psychatrist that was supposed to rate my mental illness or something. I was a bit suspicious of the guy because of everything i heard and saw about the mental health care system (in France at least), but i definitely wasn't prepared for what came next.

I felt like i was his rat and he was studying me, he spoke to me without any compassion, it was like he was having fun seeing i am suffering! It was so unnerving but i kept my cool in case it was a plan to make me lose it and force me into the ward for a very long time. But still... Then maybe I was unlucky and he was just bad at his job, but i am really starting to loose faith in the health care system... My friends and family encorages me to trust it, but atp i dont even know if i want to get better, if I want to keep fighting...

Anyone had a positive experience with a psych ward? Or is it just so bad that you want to get out at all costs? I dont want to go through something painfull again...

(PS: I hope this is the right channel to post that, I am unsure so please tell me if its not, I'll move it to the recovery channel)
i also learned that psychiatrists are this way the hard way... theyre soulless and dont actually care... their only job is to just pick meds for you, nothing else, they dont care about whats actually wrong with you, only what youve officially been diagnosed with, theyre terrifying and im glad i dont need to meet up with mine anymore, id suggest looking for a therapist instead, theyre the one who actually listen and usually treat you like a human, but it costs a lot and doesnt work for everyone :(

• Hugs
Holu

Holu

Hypomania go brrr
Apr 5, 2023
i also learned that psychiatrists are this way the hard way... theyre soulless and dont actually care... their only job is to just pick meds for you, nothing else, they dont care about whats actually wrong with you, only what youve officially been diagnosed with, theyre terrifying and im glad i dont need to meet up with mine anymore, id suggest looking for a therapist instead, theyre the one who actually listen and usually treat you like a human, but it costs a lot and doesnt work for everyone :(
The personality types that tend to become psychiatrists are rarely the emotional type. It's really unfortunate

• Aww..
Somethingiswaddling

Somethingiswaddling

goober
Aug 19, 2023
First off, the channel feature is honestly just a suggestion at this point since people post shit where ever lmao.

Also, while under no circumstance will I defend your psychiatrist since he seems like he needs to be shot, but that specific role does draw in the less compassionate people. The focus is purely medication and figuring out which medication would be best. Compassion is a bonus in psychiatrists but honestly not a requirement, which in all honesty is some bullshit since for medicated non-therapy going people it's the only person you're gonna talk to in mental health. It's also a lot harder to swap psychiatrists than it is for therapists, since they are less common. It's really tragic that you ended up with a Mengele, instead of someone who cares. Maybe try consulting your general physician or the mental health department of your hospital about a new psychiatrist should this be a regular thing.

As for the psych wards, they are shit. You are fortunate to have gotten out after a day, as from what I've heard about Europe they can hold you a lot longer than they hold us in the U.S.. Involuntary hospitalization is never fun, and completely dependent on the freedoms granted and the people locked with you. I find that if they are freaking out, I'm freaking out.

Thank god you're out of that. I'm sorry for what you went through. If you need to unload trauma or vent you are free to do so here or in dms. We actually understand the ideation so I promise we won't(and can't) lock you up <3

As much as I despise the current iteration of mental health I do want to say that they are HEAVILY deterred from prescribing more serious and dependent medication. Typically they almost always will start you on Sertraline or another low risk SSRI for fear of getting you hooked. Even if they suspect Bipolar or more severe disorders they will use Bupropion to start. This is actually a problem in itself as it delays people with more severe disorders from being properly medicated. Might be different for different country's, but at least in the US the more serious drugs are considered a last resort. They don't indent to cause addictions or overmedicate, but they will do it if they feel there is no other option(since CTB and PAS is so heavily frowned upon).
Thanks for letting me now about the channel stuff XD

Even tho the role of psychiatrists is only to prescribe meds, it really doesn't make sense that they justy can be assholes about it... Then to be fair my therapist is very nice! so perhaps ill ask her what she thinks about this situation...

And you're probably right about the psych ward thing... I mean they were always acting like i had the choice but my instiinct was telling me to stay alert (and also thanks to Marine's advices (thanks again if you're reading this!!!!))

Thank you for being so compassionate with me, if you or someone else wants to talk with me in my dms im definitly up for it!!! :D

And idk about the meds... He prescribed me some prazepam to take on the spot and Aripiprazole to take every morning... Maybe theyre light drugs who knows...
Thank you for your advice! Thankfully i can see my therapist once every two week, she is indeed, way nicer than that psychiatrist LOL

Holu

Holu

Hypomania go brrr
Apr 5, 2023
Thanks for letting me now about the channel stuff XD

Even tho the role of psychiatrists is only to prescribe meds, it really doesn't make sense that they justy can be assholes about it... Then to be fair my therapist is very nice! so perhaps ill ask her what she thinks about this situation...

And you're probably right about the psych ward thing... I mean they were always acting like i had the choice but my instiinct was telling me to stay alert (and also thanks to Marine's advices (thanks again if you're reading this!!!!))

Thank you for being so compassionate with me, if you or someone else wants to talk with me in my dms im definitly up for it!!! :D

And idk about the meds... He prescribed me some prazepam to take on the spot and Aripiprazole to take every morning... Maybe theyre light drugs who knows...

Thank you for your advice! Thankfully i can see my therapist once every two week, she is indeed, way nicer than that psychiatrist LOL
Just responding to the meds alone. As a a psych undergrad who has spent the majority of my life in the US mental healthcare system I'm genuinely concerned by the prescription. Wtf did u say to him.

I'm actually backtracking and warning against that medicine. If possible could u tell me ur diagnosis and the meds u have been prescribed in the past.

Somethingiswaddling

Somethingiswaddling

goober
Aug 19, 2023
I feel compelled to interject. Can I ask if you're intending to CTB and don't care about recovery? Can I ask what the meds he prescribed are? Can I ask how long you have been taking them?

It takes about 2 weeks for meds to settle, sometimes a bit more depending on person, prescribed amount, and the medication itself. Those first weeks might end up feeling like hell, but it's important to let it settle. It's also worth mentioning that the withdrawls wont be too serious if you take for two weeks. If recovery is your intent please at least consider researching and trying the medication. If you're worried, write a email to either ur dickface psychiatrist or a physician.
dickface psychiatrist lmaoooo

No seriously i actually dont know if i want to ctb or not, I am in a very foggy zone rn, cause i dont really feel like reaching september, but on the other hand im scared of death and maybe still a bit hopefull for the upcoming year...

As for the meds i put them in my other reply, and whats a physician?? Like a chemistrian or something?

Holu

Holu

Hypomania go brrr
Apr 5, 2023
dickface psychiatrist lmaoooo

No seriously i actually dont know if i want to ctb or not, I am in a very foggy zone rn, cause i dont really feel like reaching september, but on the other hand im scared of death and maybe still a bit hopefull for the upcoming year...

As for the meds i put them in my other reply, and whats a physician?? Like a chemistrian or something?
No a physician is ur normal doctor

Also I mean no insult but are you schizophrenic. The meds he's prescribing make me think that he thinks ur schizophrenic

ihatethisplanet

ihatethisplanet

Jun 21, 2023
I drove myself to a psych ward of a local private hospital here when I was having an anxiety meltdown. They were extremely kind to me and kept me overnight even though I wanted to go home after calming down. It wasn't a hardcore psych unit so it was mostly people with just depression and anxiety and I felt so at home there, like I'd finally found my people. If it wasn't so expensive, I would have been OK with staying a bit longer.

Keep in mind my therapist warned me away from the hospital with the big psych ward in our city and told me to go to this one if I was ever in crisis. I've heard the big one is nothing like this and pretty unpleasant.

As for the meds, almost all of them are useless. Antidepressants are just a huge failure. They either constipate me or send me running to the bathroom.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Sweet Tart
Sweet Tart

Sweet Tart

Arcanist
May 10, 2023
Congrats! I'm so happy for you that you got thru this and are free! But I'm sorry you had to meet with a scary psychiatrist. They can be the most arrogant of all doctors, tho there are a few good ones out there. I think your instincts were probably right- both that he was trying to push your buttons to see how you'd react and also that he is bad at his job, lol

• Hugs
ctb★prince

ctb★prince

villain otd
Jul 7, 2023
The personality types that tend to become psychiatrists are rarely the emotional type. It's really unfortunate
yeah... doesnt really make one want to share anything abt themselves!!!

Somethingiswaddling

Somethingiswaddling

goober
Aug 19, 2023
Just responding to the meds alone. As a a psych undergrad who has spent the majority of my life in the US mental healthcare system I'm genuinely concerned by the prescription. Wtf did u say to him.

I'm actually backtracking and warning against that medicine. If possible could u tell me ur diagnosis and the meds u have been prescribed in the past.
WAIT WHAT............

Idk He told me that my problem is that I think that im better than everyone else (not true i think im better than people who bully me so like 80% of the people I met in my life) and this is my first time taking meds... Besides some anxiolytics gave by the hospital several weeks ago after a big panic attack

Reactions: lachrymost
Holu

Holu

Hypomania go brrr
Apr 5, 2023
WAIT WHAT............

Idk He told me that my problem is that I think that im better than everyone else (not true i think im better than people who bully me so like 80% of the people I met in my life) and this is my first time taking meds... Besides some anxiolytics gave by the hospital several weeks ago after a big panic attack
He gave you a sedative instead of anti psychotic. That's pretty serious.

Ok I misread he gave you a sedative on the spot whoops I thought he gave as a regular drug. Either way the anti psycho he did prescribe is still a weird fucking one.

Either way giving you a sedative is fucking crazy

Somethingiswaddling

Somethingiswaddling

goober
Aug 19, 2023
Congrats! I'm so happy for you that you got thru this and are free! But I'm sorry you had to meet with a scary psychiatrist. They can be the most arrogant of all doctors, tho there are a few good ones out there. I think your instincts were probably right- both that he was trying to push your buttons to see how you'd react and also that he is bad at his job, lol
Thank you for your support!! woaw Im genuinely scared right now! I hope you didn't have to go through something like that too...
omg what the hell is a sedative w h a t. Isn't it what we give rhinoceros to paralyze them?????? He wants to put me to sleep or sum...?

Ok I misread he gave you a sedative on the spot whoops I thought he gave as a regular drug. Either way the anti psycho he did prescribe is still a weird fucking one.

Either way giving you a sedative is fucking crazy
Ooooh okay... I mean my panic attacks are very violent, I lose control over my body and it starts convulsing, screaming or even tries to ctb on itself so maybe that's why......... (tho i didnt told him the last part, perhaps he guessed it and thats why he gave me somthing so strong?)

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Sweet Tart
Holu

Holu

Hypomania go brrr
Apr 5, 2023
omg what the hell is a sedative w h a t. Isn't it what we give rhinoceros to paralyze them?????? He wants to put me to sleep or sum...?
Refresh page I edited cuz I misread.

Also, I'm not familiar with how france mental health is, but it's odd to immediately prescribe an antipsycho, especially if it's first time(he should be prescribing olanzapine). Not to mention, that shit tends to make people go crazy for its first two weeks.

Did he set up a safety plan? Did you tell him you were manic? Do you have a history of arrests? Did you do something in the ward? I'm confused and concerned why this was his first choice.

Somethingiswaddling

Somethingiswaddling

goober
Aug 19, 2023

Also, I'm not familiar with how france mental health is, but it's odd to immediately prescribe an antipsycho, especially if it's first time(he should be prescribing olanzapine). Not to mention, that shit tends to make people go crazy for its first two weeks.

Did he set up a safety plan? Did you tell him you were manic? Do you have a history of arrests? Did you do something in the ward? I'm confused and concerned why this was his first choice.
Man i don't even know... All i told him is that ive had those panic attacks for years but now they've intesified by a lot for the past few months! I also said that last time my dad beat me up for it. Also maybe he sensed that i am very nervous, like sometimes i get angry real fast and have to control myself real hard... but other than that nothing else comes to my mind....

And ive nerver been arrested and only lost my temper a bit yesterday in the hospital while i was talking with his colleagues.......

Holu

Holu

Hypomania go brrr
Apr 5, 2023
Man i don't even know... All i told him is that ive had those panic attacks for years but now they've intesified by a lot for the past few months! I also said that last time my dad beat me up for it. Also maybe he sensed that i am very nervous, like sometimes i get angry real fast and have to control myself real hard... but other than that nothing else comes to my mind....
Okay, it's up to you, but I'm gonna say that it might be best to avoid taking those meds and try to get a new psychiatrist and second opinion.

I'm assuming ur psychiatrist is thinking you're bipolar or schizophrenic, but if that's all you told him then he doesn't actually meet ICD criteria to diagnose you with either. The sedative can suggest he might believe it's a severe GAD(General anxiety disorder), and while aripiprazole will technically help with GAD it's by no means a normal prescription, especially if you don't have any official diagnosis.

If you are on the fence, and you're typically home alone please be careful with that medication. If you are home alone often then please consult whatever safety plan he set up for you.

Reactions: lachrymost
Sweet Tart

Sweet Tart

Arcanist
May 10, 2023

Aripiprazole in low dose is used for depression, tho you are right, it is technically an antipsychotic. It's one of the milder antipsychotics and tends to give people an energy boost whereas most antipsychotics slow things down.

• Wow
Holu

Holu

Hypomania go brrr
Apr 5, 2023
Aripiprazole in low dose is used for depression, tho you are right, it is technically an antipsychotic. It's one of the milder antipsychotics and tends to give people an energy boost whereas most antipsychotics slow things down.
Compared to olanzapine it makes no sense as a first time prescription. Hell, skipping the SSRI phase makes no sense if panic attacks were the concern. Also, most antipsychotics and a good amount of antidepressants give an energy boost. Aripiprazole isn't always an energy boost either, and can make you sleepy which is why sometimes people are told to take it at night if they denote these side effects.

Somethingiswaddling

Somethingiswaddling

goober
Aug 19, 2023
Okay, it's up to you, but I'm gonna say that it might be best to avoid taking those meds and try to get a new psychiatrist and second opinion.

I'm assuming ur psychiatrist is thinking you're bipolar or schizophrenic, but if that's all you told him then he doesn't actually meet ICD criteria to diagnose you with either. The sedative can suggest he might believe it's a severe GAD(General anxiety disorder), and while aripiprazole will technically help with GAD it's by no means a normal prescription, especially if you don't have any official diagnosis.

If you are on the fence, and you're typically home alone please be careful with that medication. If you are home alone often then please consult whatever safety plan he set up for you.
What does on the fence means? And what's a safety plan? I don't think he set up any safety plan… or perhaps you are referring to the appointment I'm supposed to have with them for a month (I'm supposed to see that guy next Wednesday but I'm definitely planning on ditching)
Compared to olanzapine it makes no sense as a first time prescription. Hell, skipping the SSRI phase makes no sense if panic attacks were the concern. Also, most antipsychotics and a good amount of antidepressants give an energy boost. Aripiprazole isn't always an energy boost either, and can make you sleepy which is why sometimes people are told to take it at night if they denote these side effects.
Mhhh that's weird cause he told me to take it every mornings…… maybe he thinks it will give me a boost

Holu

Holu

Hypomania go brrr
Apr 5, 2023
What does on the fence means? And what's a safety plan? I don't think he set up any safety plan… or perhaps you are referring to the appointment I'm supposed to have with them for a month (I'm supposed to see that guy next Wednesday but I'm definitely planning on ditching)
On the fence, as in unsure of yourself, whether regarding medication or if you want to recovery.

A safety plan is something mental healthcare workers tend to create and give you in case you are experiencing crisis. It might be hospital dependent, but it's a good thing for therapists, social workers, and psychiatrists to create.

Do not ditch. All psychiatrists are required to schedule a check up appointment after prescribing medication. If you don't feel like taking the meds, tell them it made you feel anxious(as in anxiety). It might make him reconsider and try a more tempered approach.
Mhhh that's weird cause he told me to take it every mornings…… maybe he thinks it will give me a boost
Unless u have a history with anti psychos/depressants which makes you sleepy, they almost always will tell you to take in the morning. If you want to experiment, go ahead. Also as tart said, dosage does matter, as if it's relatively low it's possibly for MDD(major depressive disorder). That said, maybe it's different in other countries, but skipping the SSRI's for what could possible GAD or PD(Panic disorder) is still bizarre to me.

Oh, and please don't ditch. You should at least try and put your initial faith in mental healthcare. He should be the one who knows what's best, and assuming he's not malicious maybe his experience or training has him taking an atypical approach. Maybe it's because you came out of a ward. In the end, I'm just an opinion, he's the licensed expert. If it seems like he's ill spirited when next you meet try to find another psychiatrist.

Last edited:
Somethingiswaddling

Somethingiswaddling

goober
Aug 19, 2023
On the fence, as in unsure of yourself, whether regarding medication or if you want to recovery.

A safety plan is something mental healthcare workers tend to create and give you in case you are experiencing crisis. It might be hospital dependent, but it's a good thing for therapists, social workers, and psychiatrists to create.

Do not ditch. All psychiatrists are required to schedule a check up appointment after prescribing medication. If you don't feel like taking the meds, tell them it made you feel anxious(as in anxiety). It might make him reconsider and try a more tempered approach.
Aight, I guess I'll tell them I didn't took any meds cause I was feeling anxious, and thanks for your concern, if we buy them I'll be careful with them!

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with me on this topic! I would have took those meds cluelessly without your insights!

Sweet Tart

Sweet Tart

Arcanist
May 10, 2023
Compared to olanzapine it makes no sense as a first time prescription. Also, most antipsychotics and a good amount of antidepressants give an energy boost. Aripiprazole isn't always an energy boost either, and can make you sleepy which is why sometimes people are told to take it at night if they denote these side effects.
I hesitate to comment on what the best choice would be, as we are going off very limited info and a lot of factors can be involved.

If @Somethingiswaddling is being treated for depression, as seems to be the case, aripiprazole is approved for this use whereas olanzapine is only prescribed for psychosis.

• Wow
Somethingiswaddling

Somethingiswaddling

goober
Aug 19, 2023
I hesitate to comment on what the best choice would be, as we are going off very limited info and a lot of factors can be involved.

If @Somethingiswaddling is being treated for depression, as seems to be the case, aripiprazole is approved for this use whereas olanzapine is only prescribed for psychosis.
I remeber him telling me I need a "psychotherapeutic follow-up" whatever that means…

Holu

Holu

Hypomania go brrr
Apr 5, 2023

Agreed, at the end of the day they recorded the information and are making a choice on that. That said, speaking in terms of US mental health procedure starting with aripiprazole is abnormal, especially without a diagnosis. It's simply much better to test with low risk low side effect medication, which is why SSRI's are the typical first choice. The fact it's an anti-psycho is just throwing me off.
I remeber him telling me I need a "psychotherapeutic follow-up" whatever that means…
It's just a more intensive form of therapy. Nothing atypical.