Soulless_Angel

Soulless_Angel

existence is futile
Jul 10, 2019
I write this whilst already on Rum, (its noon in the UK so shut it :pfff: )

Mental health is a term that can have many levels, but in reality were does mental health stop and end? it is an illness in some aspects, but until recently many used the term loosely on social media, throwaway comments, but comments that almost made a mockery of those truly suffering.
Right now I speak of mental health and break downs, mental health and panic attacks. Most of on this forum will most likely have experienced this in your life,

In the past few days, since this COVID-19 virush has become more relevant in the UK, I am noticing people using the term breakdown more and more, I have noticed people stating their mental health is being damaged because of the virus.
Looking into the threads and comments further. I respect and understand everyone deals with thing's differently, and I know many people suffer from issues regardless, I am not having a bitch at anyone, it's hard to explain, bare with....

BUT at this point, from what I am reading EVERYONE in the UK now has mental health issues, caused by things, Example my next door neighbour was having a panic attack because she couldn't find a thermometer, she admitted she didn't need it, but it sent her into a attack as she couldn't find it, she has no mental health history.
Another post a lady was having an anxiety attack because she couldn't buy what she needed in the shops,
Children's mental health is at risk due to not being able to go to school, A mum's mental health and about to have a full blown mental breakdown because her children are home for the next potential month, the list is endless,
I respect those who are worried about rent/mortgage, etc

The title of this thread though, has this virus brought about a new level of mental health issues? We currently, as in those of us on this forum, are truly in the depths of hell or we wouldn't be here, this is the darkest hell anyone could be in
Many people NOT in this place, don't understand, yet claim to understand whilst admitting they are not here, Many of these people now state they understand as they are NOW here....

In Reality does this give a new level of mental health, at which point does it stop, at which point, is mental health a serious issue, at which point is now so relevant that it's now just the normal, meaning those seriously suffering will no longer be taken seriously, due to the fact someone struggling to buy toilet roll is having a breakdown is likened to someone about to take SN because they cannot cope with life in general

Does any of this even make sense or am I talking bollocks?
Just me thinking this shit then?

Last edited:
Reactions: Inferdan, FreedomInDeath, Sensei and 1 other person
BabyYoda

BabyYoda

F*ck this sh!t I'm out
Dec 30, 2019
I've seen some posts on this forum saying that depression is a normal reaction to society's shitty state. And dividing ourselves would make things worse since human connections are vital in maintaining good mental health. Diagnosed or not, people still need help.

I cannot really think of what to say anymore, but this is an interesting topic.

Apathy79

Apathy79

Arcanist
Oct 13, 2019
I think you're talking about the difference between momentary or short-term mental health episodes, and a more or less permanent state.

The brief glimpses are useful for empathy, but there's no true understanding between people who have occasional attacks and those who live there. It's like being a tourist in a foreign land.

Reactions: k75, Eurus and FohPah
Soulless_Angel

Soulless_Angel

existence is futile
Jul 10, 2019
I've seen some posts on this forum saying that depression is a normal reaction to society's shitty state. And dividing ourselves would make things worse since human connections are vital in maintaining good mental health. Diagnosed or not, people still need help.

I cannot really think of what to say anymore, but this is an interesting topic.

I understand people need help, esp those who are new to the world of not truly knowing mental heath, they prob feel out of the depth, hence their reactions right now, so are doing all they know... Ie panicking.
Human connections are I agree a vital part of society esp now, but personal experience is telling me that those who are only just stepping into this world,are turning against those already here, claiming we could not possibly understand!
Like seriously?

FreedomInDeath

FreedomInDeath

Ready to leave
Jan 6, 2020
So the Coronavirus is letting people understand what a lot of people with mental illness have to deal with all of the time? Maybe why I feel unphased by it. When everything is back to normal they will forget.

FohPah

FohPah

Student
Dec 7, 2019
There are probably a lot of people who were recovering from chronic depression, and then the social distancing and resulting cabin fever caused them to relapse.

Reactions: k75
waterbottleman

waterbottleman

Not a person
Sep 30, 2019
Am I the only one who isn't worried at all by the coronavirus? Also since everyone ignores me anyways "social distancing" is the norm for me so I feel no different.

I would say though that I have the privilege of being a stock trader so I don't have to worry about job security, running out of money, paying bills/debt (I have no debt besides credit card which I pay full every month ne way).

FohPah

FohPah

Student
Dec 7, 2019
Am I the only one who isn't worried at all by the coronavirus? Also since everyone ignores me anyways "social distancing" is the norm for me so I feel no different.
It's also the norm for me, but I hoped this spring/summer would be the time that it could finally stop being the norm.

k75

k75

L'appel du Vide
Jun 27, 2019
I think it's understandable that people are feeling like this. It's a normal reaction to your world becoming unstable. But I'm also concerned and feel like it might be a setback and hurt people's understanding of mental health issues.

This is situational vs. clinical depression. It's a reaction to stress. It's not necessarily an illness or a chemical imbalance. I'm afraid a lot of people who have never experienced these problems before might not realize not all depression is the same.

They'll get better once the world goes back to normal, and they'll assume it's always that way because that's their limited (but valid) experience. That will reinforce the whole "it gets better, think positive" belief system, because most people will get better and move on.

And I'm afraid that will lower tolerance and understanding toward people who continue to struggle or be suicidal. "Everyone else recovered, why can't you? You're just not trying hard enough..."

I hope I'm wrong, but it feels likely.

I'm not worried for myself. I self-isolate plenty, so no change there. I'm pretty sure I won't die if I get it. I sure don't want to because being that kind of sick is miserable, but it's the same fear I feel about colds and flu. Plus, I'm always stocked up on toilet paper even when there isn't a pandemic. ;)

But I am super worried about it because my dad has cancer and is really weak right now. I think it would kill him. And he's so at risk because of a constant stream of Dr appointments, and the hospital he's going to has opened up a screening center, so now he's being exposed to a lot of people who could have it on a regular basis. So that's a nightmare, and I'm losing my mind over it all.

Last edited:
  • Aww..
Reactions: Shinbu, terry_a_davis and the box is empty
S

Sk1n1M1n

Experienced
Jan 29, 2020
An illness becomes illness when it starts affect the world around you, this corona virus the feelings temporary a lot of people will rbbish anxiety, depression for a couple of weeks but eventually they'll snap out and and start realising hang on. "I can enjoy some tv, I can stop feeling sorry for myself, I can watch a nice film" whereas with depression, anxiety it starts affecting other areas of life and these conditions also include symptoms that make it difficult to function.
For example, I am currently at university, so my stress levels are continously high and short term it's great i can get stuff done, but after a while it affects my mental health and welling, we can only go a certain amount of time without decent sleep, motivation can suffer and anxiety is increasing. So, you can see a condition can affect your wellbeing right. it's no brainer, whereas i wouldn' be too worried about lack of sleep, having panic attacks if i was just a lazy jobseeker

• Hugs
Reactions: Blu_1