Anxieyote

Anxieyote

Sobriety over everything else • 30 • Midwest
Mar 24, 2021
Oh wow. Oh WOW wow. Hahaha 😂

Waited for 20 minutes at the height of my panic attack, and didn't get an answer in time. Haha.

I don't really know what it would it be like to be stabbed, but I imagine it might be comparable to what I experience when my heart beats out of my chest at a million miles per hour and my teeth clench so hard that I chip off the enamel.

Don't ever end up in a situation where you need help from organizations on short notice. What a fucking world.

• Aww..
  • Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: divine4u2b, FractalTears, OpheliasFlowers and 10 others
speck

speck

Student
May 5, 2020
I'm sorry this happened to you. These services are increasingly unreliable and unhelpful. But it's still stunning when there's nobody on the other end- it validates so many fears.
I called a few years ago and did get an answer- but the girl on the other was pissed that I called at all and told me it could be worse, I could be her and have to deal with an internship (suicide hotline intern) on top of her other job and coursework.(???)

• Wow
  • Hmph!
Reactions: OpheliasFlowers, Crazy4u, Hurt and 2 others
Anxieyote

Anxieyote

Mar 24, 2021
@speck I'm still kind of in shock, honestly. There are certain moments when you know you need immediate help—and I just didn't receive it fast enough tonight. I did reach out to a few people in PM's and spoke to them briefly, so I don't discredit them if they weren't able to help in the way I needed on such short notice. But it's crucial that the suicide hotline responds in a timely manner.

I don't think it's unreasonable to place the same importance of something like an active crime taking place onto a mental health emergency. "Oh, it's fine if someone goes through a huge panic attack, they can just rewire their brains later and be normal functioning human beings. Probably."

Reactions: FractalTears, OpheliasFlowers, little helpers and 1 other person
WadeingThru

WadeingThru

Experienced
Feb 25, 2022
Was the hold music any good? Soothing I hope.

• Yay!
Reactions: FractalTears, Foresight, OpheliasFlowers and 7 others
Anxieyote

Anxieyote

Mar 24, 2021
If only the hold music could reverse years of trauma. Then the hotline may actually be useful! 😂

• Yay!
Reactions: FractalTears, Foresight and OpheliasFlowers
BrokenBliss

BrokenBliss

Invisible. Apparently.
Jan 11, 2022
Was it a local organization? They might be more likely to pick right up.

Reactions: FractalTears
D

downndone2

Living in misery
Jan 23, 2022
Not sure what country you're in. Her in the US we can text as well for assistance. It can take a while for a response for sure. Then they come in, act like they give a shit, make sure you arent actuvely suicidal (which if you are, they call to send someone out), throw some resources your way, and then conclude the chat to move on to the next in line. Ugh!

• Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: OpheliasFlowers and waitingforrest
BrokenBliss

BrokenBliss

Invisible. Apparently.
Jan 11, 2022
Not sure what country you're in. Her in the US we can text as well for assistance. It can take a while for a response for sure. Then they come in, act like they give a shit, make sure you arent actuvely suicidal (which if you are, they call to send someone out), throw some resources your way, and then conclude the chat to move on to the next in line. Ugh!
That's not my experience. Not sure where you are, but see if there's an area hotline or hospital.

BrokenBliss

BrokenBliss

Invisible. Apparently.
Jan 11, 2022
Not a mistake, but local will be likely to get right on the line with you.

W

waitingforrest

Elementalist
Dec 27, 2021
I have yet to get high quality hold music from them. Sounds like they recorded it on a microwave. :D

• Yay!
Reactions: downndone2, Foresight and OpheliasFlowers
speck

speck

Student
May 5, 2020
@speck I'm still kind of in shock, honestly. There are certain moments when you know you need immediate help—and I just didn't receive it fast enough tonight. I did reach out to a few people in PM's and spoke to them briefly, so I don't discredit them if they weren't able to help in the way I needed on such short notice. But it's crucial that the suicide hotline responds in a timely manner.

I don't think it's unreasonable to place the same importance of something like an active crime taking place onto a mental health emergency. "Oh, it's fine if someone goes through a huge panic attack, they can just rewire their brains later and be normal functioning human beings. Probably."
It's not unreasonable at all. We have grants and taxes for funding the staffing of these resources- to have nobody on the line is absolutely insane! In the last five years, it feels like the government and the media have been clapping cymbals together and rah rahing about destigmatizing mental Illness but in My experience it just means they have scaled back the availability and capacity of the resources that were previously available. There's a number to call, they'll say - and that's the extent of their social responsibility.

Reactions: Lostandlooking
Dot

Dot

Info abt typng styl on prfle.
Sep 26, 2021
I'm sorry this happened to you. These services are increasingly unreliable and unhelpful. But it's still stunning when there's nobody on the other end- it validates so many fears.
I called a few years ago and did get an answer- but the girl on the other was pissed that I called at all and told me it could be worse, I could be her and have to deal with an internship (suicide hotline intern) on top of her other job and coursework.(???)
Incredulous Excuse Me GIF

• Aww..
Reactions: Foresight
WadeingThru

WadeingThru

Experienced
Feb 25, 2022
National hotline, so maybe that was my mistake.
Don't blame yourself. They are providing an emergency service. They should staff to handle the volume of calls received.

Reactions: BrokenBliss
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I'm sorry you had this experience. People always say, call a hotline but this shows just how useless they can be. I can imagine that must be very frustrating having to go through that. I wish you the best.

Reactions: OpheliasFlowers
D

downndone2

Living in misery
Jan 23, 2022
That's not my experience. Not sure where you are, but see if there's an area hotline or hospital.
I'm speaking of national hotline. I dont think I'd call anyone for help now. No one can help me but myself and I hate everything about me.

• Aww..
Reactions: BrokenBliss and Anxieyote
Anxieyote

Anxieyote

Mar 24, 2021
I dont think I'd call anyone for help now. No one can help me but myself
This is what it comes down to, unfortunately. Therapists have a lot of lines that they aren't supposed to cross, and they can't even call to check up with you like a friend would outside of appointments.

It's the equivalent of responding to the cries of a drowning person by throwing them a pool noodle from your boat and saying, "Good luck." while speeding off. The only thing you can do is try to swim to shore and hope you don't die 🤞

• Hugs
Reactions: downndone2