Draconis

Draconis

Jun 8, 2024
I think it´s all about capitalism and slavery to live longer so you can work more.

Why is the science so interested to slow the dying process down and want humans to live longer?

The new AI robots in the future are gonna replace the most resilient and strongest workers and have superior skills and IQ to that of a human.

I just feel relief about to go before old age and related disease.The fact that CTB for me is postphoned it´s just hard enought i have to fight some years more to have a full set and setting...but i know i am not alone in that situation.

Reactions: Reticent Being, Forever Sleep and divinemistress36
JustA_LittlePerson

JustA_LittlePerson

One person in a sea...
May 21, 2024
The wish to live longer is much older than capitalism. Medicine is much older than capitalism. Capitalism just has allowed us to develop better methods faster. Just as it has allowed us to develop better methods for ctb.

Reactions: pthnrdnojvsc and dolemitedrums
D

dolemitedrums

Arcanist
Jun 12, 2024
People generally want to live longer, capitalism or otherwise. Extending one's years after retirement age is actually a drain on the system but both individuals and the system generally place some value on those years.

Reactions: pthnrdnojvsc and EvisceratedJester
Gustav Hartmann

Gustav Hartmann

Mage
Aug 28, 2021
I guess it is part of our survival instinct that we are afraid of not existing and who ever was young hates it to get older and watch his own decay. From an evolutionary point of view the survival instinct it is as important as aging and dying. Only from our own point of view it a bad thing.

Reactions: divinemistress36
Draconis

Draconis

Jun 8, 2024
People generally want to live longer, capitalism or otherwise. Extending one's years after retirement age is actually a drain on the system but both individuals and the system generally place some value on those years.
In my country they dont want people to retire or have time for life when you are old it´s work to the grave.

sanction

sanction

sanctioned
Mar 15, 2019
Because there is a market for it. If can offer this as a service or product, then whoever is behind this, can make a lot of money

Nearly every single idea, product, service, gimmick....... is all for the sake of profit. Nothing more

Think of Mcdonalds. Salads are more expensive than burgers, even though it is cheaper to make salads. People are motivated to charge a premium for things that have natural demand

And most people want to be healthy, look younger, or perhaps even live longer. Even if this service was only offered to 10% or less of the whole population (wealthy people), multiplied by a million dollar price tag, it is still a multi-million or billion dollar business

This motivates people to invent even the most bizarre things. From living longer, to space travel. There is no limits, as long as there is money to be made

Reactions: Forever Sleep
Draconis

Draconis

Jun 8, 2024
Many people demand death so in the future only death is on the market for the wealthy people with a high pricetag?

It´s an ethical issue but the human insanity has no limit to profit out of the death of people.
I rather go by my own hands than let some greedy bastards "assist"with a high pricetag for my death.

What i know it´s very hard work and it´s not easy to be approved assisted death in a clinic in Switzerland i dont even know what it cost.It´s not etnic to put a high price for your death.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kali_Yuga13
M

movingvibes247

Jul 21, 2024
Well if it does ever become possible I think people may be in for a rude awakening. Living for mind-bogglingly long periods of time simply won't be compatible with human physiology or psyche, so prepare to give up everything you know

FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I personally find it terrifying how a human can exist for so long in this existence so futile and cruel, under no circumstances would I ever wish for the torment of existing as a conscious being, I just wish for eternal nothingness where all is finally forgotten about, existing has caused me nothing but pain and suffering.

K

Kali_Yuga13

Experienced
Jul 11, 2024
It´s an ethical issue but the human insanity has no limit to profit out of the death of people.
I rather go by my own hands than let some greedy bastards "assist"with a high pricetag for my death.
The whole medical system is more about functional existence prolongation than vital life extension. If I make it to old age, I would have serious qualms about dumping tens of thousands of dollars into the beast system to treat something like cancer just to squeeze out a few more miserable years of life.

I've seen a couple vids of people describing their experience applying for assisted suicide. Doing it themselves didn't even come into the equation and I can only speculate why.

1. Certainty of death/no fear of failure and possible resultant consequences
2. More palatable to their conscience - it's not really "suicide" if an outside authority deems it a medical "treatment".
3. Offloads perceived spiritual consequences of "suicide" for the same reason above.
4. More acceptable to friends and family, again because it's approved by an outside authority and framed as medical treatment. I guess it could be similar to saying your pet was sick and you took it to the vet to get euthanized vs saying your pet was sick so you took it out back and shot it. The latter would cause people to raise an eyebrow.
5. Bypasses SI to some extent, it's a service being done "for" them rather than "by" them.
6. High probability of a peaceful exit. No dangling from a rope gasping for air, no second thoughts when falling from a cliff, no wheezing or throwing up etc.

Personally, I'm against the idea of placing the state or medical system as arbiter or middleman in the process of ctb. For end-of-life, I do think there's acceptable grey area like comfort drugs in hospice and the death with dignity program where the doctor access your quality of life and survivability then prescribes a cocktail which you pick up at the pharmacy and take on your own when ready. I'm not for filing tons of paperwork for months begging for approval and flying across the world though just to get permission.

On the OP's capitalism point, if the world keeps going in this dystopic direction, suicide phone booths may be in our future. Millions of people don't want to be here anymore.

Reactions: Reticent Being and Forever Sleep