SlackJim

SlackJim

Nothing lasts, but nothing is lost
Sep 30, 2019
Hey there everyone, I spent a lot of time in hospital when I was young, especially between 0-2 years old. I had a lot of operations; open heart surgery, cranial reconstruction, surgeries on my spine, neck, throat. quite a lot all together, a lot of general aesthetics, a lot of time in an incubator (without skin to skin contact with my mother). Recently I read about surgical trauma, how sometimes surgeries can cause similar symptoms as PTSD. There is a trend of kids who spend a lot of time in hospital with mental illness when they're older. I wonder if anyone here has had some similar experience? I don't want to try and put blame on something in the past that may not have had the effect I imagine, but I get the feeling that I have some amount of unresolved trauma from my early years that I would like to explore more. There is also the fact that being so sick meant I got a lot of attention and was 'Mollycoddled' in a way, which I understand can lead to a lack of confidence, because growing up I had so much attention without actually doing anything.

Shero

Shero

Experienced
Dec 19, 2019
I don't know if this is offtopic, but from spending there alot in my childhood i developed severe hypochondria. I get a panic attack from every small sensation or visual change from my body. I get so fixated that i spend hours researching which in turn triggers another panic attack.

Reactions: SlackJim