AllAboard

AllAboard

Jul 17, 2022
I feel like when pro lifers ask someone if they regret attempting suicide it's manipulative. If I shoot myself in the head and become a vegetable, of course I'm going to regret. If I try and jump off a bridge and get saved or my SI kicks in, of course I'm going to regret it I will be embarrassed. If I take pills and end up in the hospital because it didn't kill me but instead damaged my health, OF COURSE I'm going to regret it! LOOK AT THESE METHODS, i'm sure most people regret it because they have to go against their programming, and use methods that aren't foolproof, sometimes it's just difficult and tough for you to bring yourself to do this stuff on your own. I guarantee if assisted suicide clinics existed and choosing to die was a right, the percentage of regrets would go WAY down. I'm not saying it'd be best tolet anyone waltz in and say they want to die, but I know there could be a system that only lets people who are 100% ready to die make their decision and have it done quietly and safely! They make it hard on purpose, to manipulate and guilt trip you, now you're still stuck and have to face some people that won't look at you the same. I hate society.

• Love
Reactions: johnotto, Per Ardua Ad Astra, flightless bird and 7 others
L

lionetta12

Just a random person
Aug 5, 2022
I feel like when pro lifers ask someone if they regret attempting suicide it's manipulative. If I shoot myself in the head and become a vegetable, of course I'm going to regret. If I try and jump off a bridge and get saved or my SI kicks in, of course I'm going to regret it I will be embarrassed. If I take pills and end up in the hospital because it didn't kill me but instead damaged my health, OF COURSE I'm going to regret it! LOOK AT THESE METHODS, i'm sure most people regret it because they have to go against their programming, and use methods that aren't foolproof, sometimes it's just difficult and tough for you to bring yourself to do this stuff on your own. I guarantee if assisted suicide clinics existed and choosing to die was a right, the percentage of regrets would go WAY down. I'm not saying it'd be best tolet anyone waltz in and say they want to die, but I know there could be a system that only lets people who are 100% ready to die make their decision and have it done quietly and safely! They make it hard on purpose, to manipulate and guilt trip you, now you're still stuck and have to face some people that won't look at you the same. I hate society.
So tierd of people trying to gaslight and manipulate others, I don't know what these evil people get out of it. I barely have the energy to eat, so I don't understand how these people have the insane energy to do things like this.

Reactions: Per Ardua Ad Astra and AllAboard
Shiny

Shiny

なんて素晴らしい人生でしょう...
Oct 3, 2022
I can sympathize with that sentiment. When I hear others asking if people regret attempting, I usually think "I don't regret that I tried, my only regret is that I failed."

Reactions: Un-, NoLightRemains, Per Ardua Ad Astra and 6 others
Rounded Apathy

Rounded Apathy

Longing to return to stardust
Aug 8, 2022
I wonder if this happens because there are stories of people whose lives turned around after failing and somehow fell in love with life again. Granted, this is probably a lot more likely for people who didn't wind up with horrible permanent side effects, or who had amazing support networks or services, or whatever other things many are in this mind state to begin with due to the lack of...

Reactions: Per Ardua Ad Astra, tiny_dancer, Sick of it all and 1 other person
AllAboard

AllAboard

Jul 17, 2022
I wonder if this happens because there are stories of people whose lives turned around after failing and somehow fell in love with life again. Granted, this is probably a lot more likely for people who didn't wind up with horrible permanent side effects, or who had amazing support networks or services, or whatever other things many are in this mind state to begin with due to the lack of...
I'm sure it does. I'm happy for those who failed ctb and changed their life around, and are genuinely happy now. I just can't help but feel those stories hinder people who are actually ready to ctb even more, they will use those stories to manipulate people by telling them it'll get better, but for some that's just not the case. Life is a game, in order for there to be winners there has to be losers, that's just the way society is.

Reactions: Per Ardua Ad Astra and tiny_dancer
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I'm tired of this cruel world that is so focused on prolonging suffering. In an ideal world we would all be able to exit in a peaceful and reliable way without ever having to worry about the method failing. To me the whole 'suicidal people who fail attempts always regret it' type thing is harmful as it may convince people that all suicidal people just really want to be saved and this could lead to people stopping attempts and just making things worse for those who want to be free from all suffering. People should have no right to interfere with someone's decision to ctb.

Reactions: Per Ardua Ad Astra, AllAboard, Finding Sirius and 1 other person
S

Sad_Sack

Experienced
Oct 3, 2022
So tierd of people trying to gaslight and manipulate others, I don't know what these evil people get out of it. I barely have the energy to eat, so I don't understand how these people have the insane energy to do things like this.
They are just healthy and functioning so they have the energy and can not imagine the suffering that drives someone to feel like ending it. Some of them may have been suicidal in the past and were so close to it but were incredibly lucky enough to have their issues resolve and now are hell bent on stopping others because they think it will happen for them to. They all mean well but most are 100% ignorant of the type of suffering that brings a person to wish to die.

Reactions: Per Ardua Ad Astra, AllAboard and wljourney
F

FuneralGrey

Oct 12, 2022
I guarantee if assisted suicide clinics existed and choosing to die was a right, the percentage of regrets would go WAY down.
The percentage of regrets would go way down because no one would survive.

Asking someone if they regret attempting isn't manipulative, it's one way of assessing seriousness/intent. If I've impulsively decided to CTB but regret attempting, I'm unlikely to waltz out the hospital doors and step in front of a moving vehicle. If I don't regret it, I'm probably willing to try again, and plan more carefully this time. Pro-lifer or not, a doctor has an ethical responsibilities. The problem lies not with the question, but with the system. Don't conflate regretting an attempt with regretting the after-effects of said attempt.

That being said, I'm in favour of medical assistance in dying for everyone. A rigorous screening process weeds out people who are acting impulsively (mostly because of the need to wait) and ensures people have thought through what they're going forward with. Death should be a fundamental human right.

Reactions: Un- and Sad_Sack
makethepainstop

makethepainstop

Visionary
Sep 16, 2022

Asking someone if they regret attempting isn't manipulative, it's one way of assessing seriousness/intent. If I've impulsively decided to CTB but regret attempting, I'm unlikely to waltz out the hospital doors and step in front of a moving vehicle. If I don't regret it, I'm probably willing to try again, and plan more carefully this time. Pro-lifer or not, a doctor has an ethical responsibilities. The problem lies not with the question, but with the system. Don't conflate regretting an attempt with regretting the after-effects of said attempt.

That being said, I'm in favour of medical assistance in dying for everyone. A rigorous screening process weeds out people who are acting impulsively (mostly because of the need to wait) and ensures people have thought through what they're going forward with. Death should be a fundamental human right.
Death should also be a choice for anyone who seeks it.

Reactions: Per Ardua Ad Astra
AllAboard

AllAboard

Jul 17, 2022

I know the percentage would go down because no one survived, that's the point. That's why I said there should be a system to 100% guarantee someone was ready. As far as the ethical responsibilities for the doctor, I understand that, but that's also my point, why would I say I don't regret attempting ctb when that means they'll keep you in a mental hospital longer. I get they have to ask, but it just seems obvious people would regret attempting because they failed, because a lot of methods are difficult to pull off. Again, I wouldn't tell a doctor I regret it because I failed, then they'll know I'm still a huge risk and prolong my stay.