• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

teddexter

teddexter

Jun 26, 2024
Does anyone know anything about or have any experience of suicide Investigations by the police in Ireland? For example, even if you leave a detailed suicide note, is it standard practice for police to seize your phone/laptop or search your home if drugs (eg. benzos) for which you didn't have a prescription are found in your system after autopsy?

I live with my parents and I really don't want to have them hassled by the police on top of having to deal with my death.

Reactions: NoPointOfReturning
teddexter

teddexter

Jun 26, 2024
I'd really appreciate some feedback on this, even from people with knowledge of suicide investigations in different countries, eg. the UK. I can't stop worrying about it.

Reactions: NoPointOfReturning
piddincir

piddincir

Student
Nov 6, 2023
Hey man,

I am from the uk , my wife committed last year . I can tell you from my experience . The police did a quick sweep of the house. Checked the bins to see if she'd been drinking /taken anything but nothing deeper than that.

It takes a while to do an autopsy as well. It took more than two weeks for my wife to have an autopsy and took 10 weeks to complete the toxicology report .

The inquest is even longer . She hadn't left a note so they took all her digital assets , phone , laptop, Fitbit. Even her vape. It took them a while to return it Tom. About 8 weeks.

My situation was a bit different . My wife had committed with a plastic bag over the head . I came home and found her and ripped the bag off

Tried to revive her but it was clear she was dead and called my mum who called the emergency services

First the ambulance crew arrived in about 15mins, then the police about 30 mins after I found her. Detectives about an hour after that

I was distraught obviously but the police kept asking me how I thought she died and took them a while to see the plastic bag and em to tell them. She was clearly dead but hadn't been for that long , a few hours and looked very peaceful like she was asleep. Without the bag on they had to investigate it but I think had they found her hanging or some thing they wouldn't have been as detailed in the investigation

Anyway long story short the autopsy couldn't detect a cause of death. So they had to run extra tests and still couldn't find a cause of death and it went down as a suspicious death as it couldn't be explained as the police hadn't found her with a plastic bag over her head .

It's hard to say if they will take your phone etc, I think if it's obvious then they might not but then they might . It's down to the coroner and in the uk the look at the reasons why, if you leave a note it makes it a lot more obvious .

Tox report is pretty standard so they will find benzos in your system but they won't search your house as they won't have those results for a while and wouldn't bother .

Chances are higher that your parents will find that going through your things. If you don't want them to find it then make sure you dispose of it before you commit . Also , don't know but if you plan on doing it at home , try not let your parents find you. That shit is traumatising .

I found loads of empty vodka bottles and packs of pills the police didn't find but it all come up on the tox report

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: AppleTreeDog, Ash, thebelljarrr and 5 others
dinosavr

dinosavr

and if i’m turning blue please don’t save me 🌛
Dec 14, 2023
I don't know about Ireland but usually they don't do any investigation. When someone leaves a long suicide note and when used method is obvious to identify, then there's no need to do it.

Of course it depends on the procedures that they have in their country/region. And on the specific cops and how much they like to bend the rules to get it done quicker. I think also your family may request further investigation, but if you have depression or they know about your suicidal ideation, they probably won't have questions.

+ you can try to look up official documentation on the police site, it should be public. There are some information they have to put in the report. If any of them won't be clear, I guess you should expect that there's a chance they might want to check it.

Reactions: teddexter