avoid_slow_death

avoid_slow_death

Ready to embrace the peaceful bliss of the void.
Feb 4, 2020
No matter how low I sink or how detached from life I become, I always find solace in observing, studying and just gazing upon the beauty of the universe. Hell, our solar system alone is vast compared to us. Here's a map of it. Enjoy.

Attachments

• solar-system-map.jpg
    solar-system-map.jpg
    676.5 KB · Views: 25
  • Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Inferdan, Cevapcici, CarefulWithThatAxe and 6 others
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
I've always been deeply fascinated with space myself. I love reading about it and imagining what distant planets would be like. My favorite image currently is probably the Hubble Deep Field image. I think they said it took around 10 years to create and it's the most detailed and vast reaching image we currently have.

STScI gallery 1427a 480x630

• Love
Reactions: mattwitt, CarefulWithThatAxe, Broken Chimera and 4 others
avoid_slow_death

avoid_slow_death

Feb 4, 2020
I've always been deeply fascinated with space myself. I love reading about it and imagining what distant planets would be like. My favorite image currently is probably the Hubble Deep Field image. I think they said it took around 10 years to create and it's the most detailed and vast reaching image we currently have.

View attachment 26880
One of my favorites as well. Also, the first real photo of a black hole and the galaxy nicknamed Methuselah are very dear to me.

• Love
Reactions: Sensei, DrummerWhoLovesMilk and Brick In The Wall
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
One of my favorites as well. Also, the first real photo of a black hole and the galaxy nicknamed Methuselah are very dear to me.
I'd seen the black hole photo a little while back it's definitely pretty cool. The moon has been making the news alot again lately.

The Chinese are trying to put a base on the moon in a few years. They recently sent 12 life forms to the moon and I think Cotton did the best. A probe carrying tardigrades accidentally crashed into the moon.

Two more semi recent little fun facts about the moon. A company tried to put advertisements on it but was luckily stopped. Nasa recently released the 3D moon kit for movie and game developers. The moon kit is a set of images that encompass the entire moon and were collected during NASA survey work.

• Love
Reactions: Ame, Sensei, DrummerWhoLovesMilk and 1 other person
CynicalHopelessness

CynicalHopelessness

Messenger of Silence
Jan 9, 2020
It's not very space-related, but I looked up at the starry sky several days ago and it struck me: why do the stars look white? I mean, shouldn't they be of different color, and more to the red due to universe expanding?

Turns out the light from them is so dim that only rod cells of human eye work, giving us ability to perceive the brightness but not color. I didn't actually realize that you could just see the same scene, parts colored, parts gray-scale. I tried to observe the same effect in just a partly lit room at night, but I couldn't tell whether I actually saw the color or remembering it as things were getting dim.

Oh, and the effect of the red-shift is very insignificant, especially since ultraviolet that stars emit as well can get red-shifted into visible spectrum too.

• Love
Reactions: Sensei, DrummerWhoLovesMilk, avoid_slow_death and 1 other person
DrummerWhoLovesMilk

DrummerWhoLovesMilk

Drifter
Feb 8, 2020
I would totally CTB by jumping into a black hole. Seriously though, space is so fascinating.

• Love
Reactions: Skathon, TheOA, avoid_slow_death and 1 other person
avoid_slow_death

avoid_slow_death

Feb 4, 2020
Reactions: Epsilon0 and DrummerWhoLovesMilk
Soul

Soul

gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha
Apr 12, 2019
I'm thrilled to hear people still feel awed and mystified by space. I was worried the ubiquity of science fiction had made singularities seem mundane. That would be a sin.

• Love
Reactions: a.n.kirillov, Epsilon0, Sensei and 1 other person
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
Just recently read that scientists confirmed we're receiving a rogue radio signal from a source some 500 million lightyears away.

"The mystery signal, known as FRB 180916.J0158+65 was first discovered in 2017, but has continued repeating steadily, albeit at a rate some 600 times fainter than the first bright flare. In their study, scientists analysed 28 bursts which took place between September 2018 and October 2019, confirming the pattern, and excitedly concluding "that this is the first detected periodicity of any kind in an FRB source."

In my opinion it's probably a pulsar, magnetar, or some other unidentified space anomaly. But who knows? If the signal is intelligent then it was sent during earths pre cambrian period. So whoever would've sent it is either long dead or evolved by now.

Source:

Reactions: avoid_slow_death, Sensei and Epsilon0
avoid_slow_death

avoid_slow_death

Feb 4, 2020
Just recently read that scientists confirmed we're receiving a rogue radio signal from a source some 500 million lightyears away.

"The mystery signal, known as FRB 180916.J0158+65 was first discovered in 2017, but has continued repeating steadily, albeit at a rate some 600 times fainter than the first bright flare. In their study, scientists analysed 28 bursts which took place between September 2018 and October 2019, confirming the pattern, and excitedly concluding "that this is the first detected periodicity of any kind in an FRB source."

In my opinion it's probably a pulsar, magnetar, or some other unidentified space anomaly. But who knows? If the signal is intelligent then it was sent during earths pre cambrian period. So whoever would've sent it is either long dead or evolved by now.

Source:
Saw that in the past few days. Your initial guess is probably the likely culprit, but as you said, who knows? Could be an advanced civilization. Or was.

Reactions: Sensei and Brick In The Wall
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018

View attachment 26880
Hey, you can see my house from here. Look I'm waving!
A probe carrying tardigrades accidentally crashed into the moon
Eeeek space bears! We colonised the moon by mistake. Can't those little guys survive anything?
magnetar, or some other unidentified space anomaly. But who knows? If the signal is intelligent then it was sent during earths pre cambrian period. So whoever would've sent it is either long dead or evolved by now.
Probably true. Massive distance to travel. This is fun...

• Love
Reactions: avoid_slow_death, Brick In The Wall, Sensei and 1 other person
E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
Fun fact about space:

If you get exposed to the vacuum of space you don't die from the cold, but from the lack of oxygen and the low pressure which makes your lungs explode.

Another fun fact:

A black dwarf, which is the end stage of a normal star, such as our sun, is a stellar corpse made up of crystallized carbon. It's basically a huge diamond in the sky. The universe is not old enough for stellar cores to have cooled off completely and become black. And even if it were old enough, we would still not be able to see them, as they would have the same temperature as space, and would therefore not emit any light.

Reactions: avoid_slow_death, Sensei and Deleted member 1465
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
Astrofacts Mega thread! Yay!

Reactions: avoid_slow_death
E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
Astrofact

The red giant in the constellation of Orion, called Alpha Orionis, or Betelgeuse, is not actually made up of beetle juice.

Reactions: avoid_slow_death, Sensei and Deleted member 1465
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
Astrofact.
Q. What does space smell like?
A. Uranus!

• Wow
Reactions: avoid_slow_death and Epsilon0
E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
Astrofact.
Q. What does space smell like?
A. Uranus!

Oh dear, @Underscore ... you and I have severely lowered the level of this conversation with our two latest replies :ehh: Should we do something to redress the situation? Or not? Coz I have a good joke about astronomers and heavenly bodies....:pfff:

D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
Oh dear, @Underscore ... you and I have severely lowered the level of this conversation with our two latest replies :ehh:
You started it, I merely guided it to its natural conclusion. :sunglasses: Lol I've literally been waiting years for the right context to tell that joke.
I have a question...
What is the oldest planet in the solar system? Think about it...

E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
You started it, I merely guided it to its natural conclusion. Lol I've literally been waiting years for the right context to tell that joke.
I have a question...
What is the oldest planet in the solar system? Think about it...

They are all the same age. They were formed from junk orbiting around the proto sun.

"You started it"

Yeah, guilty as charged! I am a bad influence on you. You should put me on your ignore list. But, please, ask me first why astronomers like to do it in the dark :pfff:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
They are all the same age. They were formed from junk orbiting around the proto sun.

"You started it"

Yeah, guilty as charged! I am a bad influence on you. You should put me on your ignore list. But, please, ask me first why astronomers like to do it in the dark :pfff:
Correct answer! Damn I thought I was being clever.
Why o why do astronomers like to do it in the dark?

• Love
a.n.kirillov

a.n.kirillov

velle non discitur
Nov 17, 2019
Who of you has had the privilege to watch the night sky in a place with zero light pollution?

I saw it once and have an intense longing for it since then.

Reactions: avoid_slow_death, Sensei and Epsilon0
E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
Correct answer! Damn I thought I was being clever.
Why o why do astronomers like to do it in the dark?

You were being very clever. It's a very good question, and quite counter intuitive, when you think about it. If I hadn't read about the formation of the solar system, I would have probably assumed that the rocky, inner planets, had formed first, and the outer, gas giants later, seeing they are so massive.

It would be interesting to know if there is a theory about the time frame within which planets formed out of the accretion disc.

D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
Who of you has had the privilege to watch the night sky in a place with zero light pollution?

I saw it once and have an intense longing for it since then.
I did! And I mean zero. On a mountain in Wales in the dead of night, lost and starting to get hypothermia. I laid down and looked up and forgot everything but the stars. I've never experienced anything like it, impossible to describe.

Reactions: avoid_slow_death and a.n.kirillov
E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
When I was a kid, visiting my relatives who lived out in the country side. First and last time I saw the Miky Way in all its glory. A mighty spectacle.

E19C6A18 01C1 4E22 BE2C 5D31B2CD86D2

Here's a beautiful phenomenon called gravitational lensing. What we see in this photo is not a star with a ring around it, but two galaxies.

The yellow galaxy distorts space time with its gravity. It literally curves space time around it, so the light from the background galaxy, the blue one, appears not as a dot, but as a circle. The light from the blue galaxy follows the curvature of space time created by the foreground galaxy, and it thus appears distorted to us.

Last edited:
Reactions: avoid_slow_death, Deleted member 1465 and a.n.kirillov
avoid_slow_death

avoid_slow_death

Feb 4, 2020
Then there is this spooky shit. Sounds like hell or the void in my soul.

• Love
Reactions: Soul and Epsilon0
a.n.kirillov

a.n.kirillov

velle non discitur
Nov 17, 2019
I did! And I mean zero. On a mountain in Wales in the dead of night, lost and starting to get hypothermia. I laid down and looked up and forgot everything but the stars. I've never experienced anything like it, impossible to describe.
Nice! I got to see it in the Scottish Highlands! But unlike you I went inside because I was dead tired from our exhausting mountain hike (it was mid January). Wales is still on my list!!

E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
Then there is this spooky shit. Sounds like hell or the void in my soul.

Like nails on a blackboard. Spooky and hellish indeed. This is what hell would probably sound like, if it had a soundtrack.

Did you see some of the comments? Some are pretty funny, like this one:

Everyone: In space, noone can hear you scream.
Saturn: Hold my beer!

Green Destiny

Green Destiny

Life isn't worth the trouble.
Nov 16, 2019
I'm always fascinated watching space related vids on Youtube. And I've always had this question on my mind regarding the fact that we've searched the universe from a side to side angle, but what about straight upwards and downwards? Has NASA or any other Space Program done that before?

Reactions: avoid_slow_death and Soul
Soul

Soul

gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha
Apr 12, 2019
I'm always fascinated watching space related vids on Youtube. And I've always had this question on my mind regarding the fact that we've searched the universe from a side to side angle, but what about straight upwards and downwards? Has NASA or any other Space Program done that before?

I think they explore it at as many angles as there are, and then some.

Love the Saturn recording - great visuals too. Thanks, @avoid_slow_death x