• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

Smashingairwaves

Smashingairwaves

misery factory
Nov 15, 2018
I bought two lots of SN from two different vendors in Feburary and March of 2019. I opened one back in Feburary of 2019, and opened the second bottle last week to see the condition of it.

They're obviously old now, so I wanted to test them and see if any were viable. I bought a well known branded aquarium test and just tested both about an hour ago. They were the liquid tests, not strip tests.

The tests barely changed colour. As a joke I tested table salt and it completely changed colour, hah. I'm no chemist but from my basic internet searches, normal table salt doesn't contain nitrites. I'm dumb and super confused.

So what gives? Is my SN off, or is this test off? Advice?

S

Sir_nihilist

Sep 26, 2020
That's the same thing that happened to me, do you know any strip test that worked?

Smashingairwaves

Smashingairwaves

misery factory
Nov 15, 2018
That's the same thing that happened to me, do you know any strip test that worked?
Have yet to find a strip test that isn't expensive. I bought 2 different liquid tests.

I didnt use distilled water though, which is my own dumbass fault. The water around here is naturally high in nitrites/nitrates, I think.

I'm trying the test with distilled water tomorrow night. I've also bought more SN. Due to COVID I've been waiting a damn month though, getting impatient.

MiseryLovesMyCompany

MiseryLovesMyCompany

Arcanist
Oct 8, 2020
I didnt use distilled water though, which is my own dumbass fault. The water around here is naturally high in nitrites/nitrates, I think.
Test your water before putting in the SN, that way you'll know.

Reactions: Metalhead
Smashingairwaves

Smashingairwaves

misery factory
Nov 15, 2018
Test your water before putting in the SN, that way you'll know.
Oh yeah definitely, I did with the tap water but got confusing results. Hopefully distilled water gives me a decent result

Caspers

Caspers

Lost
Jun 23, 2020
If you can get some RO (reverse osmosis) water, that would give true results. RO water has zero additives and is often used in labs, hospitals and for marine tanks. The idea of testing tap water first and then minusing the difference is a great idea, and cheaper too

Deleted member 22624

Deleted member 22624

One foot in the grave
Oct 7, 2020
I don't get it. Surely the SN would degrade progressively and slowly enough that anything that tests for small amounts of nitrates would test positive very quickly unless only a tiny, tiny amount was dissolved in water? I can't see such tests being of much use? What would SN degrade into, anyway?

Smashingairwaves

Smashingairwaves

misery factory
Nov 15, 2018
I don't get it. Surely the SN would degrade progressively and slowly enough that anything that tests for small amounts of nitrates would test positive very quickly unless only a tiny, tiny amount was dissolved in water? I can't see such tests being of much use? What would SN degrade into, anyway?
I'm mostly testing to make sure what I buy is actually SN. Testing for degrading is still important, but if I'm buying shit online there's no guarantee it's actually SN.

Apparently it degrades from Nitrite to Nitrate over time too. I bought mine early 2019 so if it does degrade then I need to check that mine hasn't

Reactions: Deleted member 22624
Smashingairwaves

Smashingairwaves

misery factory
Nov 15, 2018
Update: got a bit more of a conclusive test with the distilled water. I think I'm gonna go with my second lot of SN. Gonna do it tomorrow night

Reactions: inaminute and rt1989526
B

Blurred_Reality

Sep 8, 2020
I presume first then test with a bit of water and no SN and match up to colour chart - should be no nitrite. Then test again with a bit of SN added.

mahakaliSS_MahaDurga

mahakaliSS_MahaDurga

Visionary
Apr 2, 2020
I bought two lots of SN from two different vendors in Feburary and March of 2019. I opened one back in Feburary of 2019, and opened the second bottle last week to see the condition of it.

They're obviously old now, so I wanted to test them and see if any were viable. I bought a well known branded aquarium test and just tested both about an hour ago. They were the liquid tests, not strip tests.

The tests barely changed colour. As a joke I tested table salt and it completely changed colour, hah. I'm no chemist but from my basic internet searches, normal table salt doesn't contain nitrites. I'm dumb and super confused.

So what gives? Is my SN off, or is this test off? Advice?

My test strip also didn't change color. The photo is here: https://sanctioned-suicide.net/threads/is-my-sn-still-potent.51708/post-940273

Last edited: