serah

serah

Student
May 6, 2020
how do i get over feeling shitty because of my inability to socialize? started working and im thankful for it but ive found myself feeling down after realizing i dont really get along with anyone. even after working there for a couple of weeks i cant manage more than a simple hello. i get jealous at seeing how well my coworkers interact with customere and with each other. i feel so distant, like im missing something most humans have. theres people who've begun working later than me and already get around better than i do simply because of their outgoing and sociable personalities. its making my feelings of wanting to ctb asap come back. i find myself feeling discouraged of trying to recover because at the end of the day this is what my life will always be. a quiet awkward person unable to get along with others well. it affects me so much mentally to the point it gets me wondering whats the point of continuing to live. its painful seeing everyone around you get along and chat normally and when it hits you that you'll probably always be the outsider.

• Hugs
Reactions: oono, loopdaloop, Forever Sleep and 3 others
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I struggle socially also. All I can really advise is stuff people have told me- ask people questions and REALLY listen to the answers. Try and find common ground you can both feel interested in- a film/ game/ sport- whatever you like. Try and observe what other people talk about- why are they so successful?

Is it because you feel shy? Or- do you just find it hard to sustain conversations with people? I guess also- maybe try to accept that not everyone will click with you. We all have some people we get on with more than others. It may just be that- where you are, the people just aren't really similar enough to you in interests and outlook for you to make deep connections. Try not to take that personally. It may just be that you need to find your social life/ friends elsewhere- somewhere where you are all doing things you find interesting.

Also bear in mind that- if you have just started working there and the staff already there know one another- they're kind of likely to be more friendly to one another. They may even have regular customers they know. Sometimes, we do find people we just click with. It's difficult at work regardless though. In my experience- employers don't want their staff standing around chatting and having fun! So- it can be a tricky environment to even be able to make friends. I wish you lots of luck though.