• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

Fulminare

Fulminare

Read Thomas Szasz!
Feb 20, 2022
My time is nearing and I think my plan is set now. I will be consuming SN in the woods, but it'll be rather cold, around 30 degree Fahrenheit.
I will be traveling for 1~2 hours, so I was wondering if this would influence the quality? Should I pre-mix it maybe?
Thanks to anyone who might be able to answer.

• Aww..
Reactions: Per Ardua Ad Astra
Looking

Looking

Looking for the answer.
Jan 16, 2023
I am curious about this, too. All of the information I could find about it is that Sodium Nitrite may explode on heating above 986°F (530°C), which, makes sense. Not what you were asking for though. Everything I've found related to storage of SN only states what happens when it's under heat, not when it's cold.

It says to not "freeze", but I can't find what temperature that would be at. It's advised to keep it at room temperature which is typically around 59 – 77°F (15 – 25 °C) I believe.

I don't know. I couldn't find anything helpful. Counting it's a crystalline powder, I would have to assume that it wouldn't freeze too easily. For it to "freeze", it would have to turn into a solid (it's melting point, which in the image above is around 520°F (271°C), and I don't think it'd turn into a solid around 30°F. I don't know what happens when you turn it into a liquid though, counting water freezes around 32°F (0°C). You can supercool it, but again, I don't know anything about that.

I'm an idiot who doesn't know what I'm doing. I'm just trying to share what I found very briefly looking around. I'm sure someone smarter than me will correct the record.

• Hugs
Reactions: Justnotme
Fulminare

Fulminare

Read Thomas Szasz!
Feb 20, 2022
This is amazing info nonetheless, thank you so much @Looking

• Love
Reactions: Looking
Destiny Calls Me

Destiny Calls Me

Do I answer?
Nov 23, 2022
This got me curious so I did some research. Best bet is to mix in a warm environment and freezing should be an issue

Salt (sodium chloride) when mixed with water makes the freezing temp much lower, the more salt the lower the temp. Pre mixing is best because hot water absorbs more than cold water. SN mixed with water creates an endothermic reaction meaning it absorbs heat from surroundings.

Sodium nitrate is also a highly soluble substance
Solubility in water:
71.4 g/100 mL (0 °C)
84.8 g/100 mL (25 °C)
160 g/100 mL (100 °C)

• Informative
Reactions: Looking and Fulminare
D

Damnation

Jan 17, 2023
Premixing seems like a bad idea, most of what I read implies that you should use it right after mixing.

Destiny Calls Me

Destiny Calls Me

Do I answer?
Nov 23, 2022
Premixing seems like a bad idea, most of what I read implies that you should use it right after mixing.
Why? Would there potentially be an issue? Implying something doesnt really mean much

littlelady774

littlelady774

running on empty
Dec 20, 2018
I wouldn't premix it either. Also, when you mix it, you should use bottled water. In some places (especially the US) tap water can be acidic with a pH as low as 4. This can turn the nitrite into nitrate

• Informative
Reactions: Looking, Destiny Calls Me and Fulminare
Looking

Looking

Looking for the answer.
Jan 16, 2023
I've also seen stuff about not mixing it too far in advance. I don't actually remember why. I don't know if it's related to the fact that you have to unseal the container to use it, and that the problem lies in with opening the container itself, or if something happens with the water/drink.

With that being said, @Destiny Calls Me is correct about everything they've said. If anyone can figure out / clarify why you shouldn't be premixing it, then that would make it easier to understand how to get the desired result.

Reactions: Destiny Calls Me and Fulminare
Fulminare

Fulminare

Read Thomas Szasz!
Feb 20, 2022
I've read someone's goodbye thread and they drank the SN hours after they mixed it. And they seem to have passed away. I think it should be safe, but don't take my word for it.

I might get a hand warmer or something like that and put it in my backpack so it stays warm. I will buy water on the way as @littlelady774 said and mix it when I've arrived at the forest.

Reactions: Looking
Destiny Calls Me

Destiny Calls Me

Do I answer?
Nov 23, 2022
I've also seen stuff about not mixing it too far in advance. I don't actually remember why. I don't know if it's related to the fact that you have to unseal the container to use it, and that the problem lies in with opening the container itself, or if something happens with the water/drink.

With that being said, @Destiny Calls Me is correct about everything they've said. If anyone can figure out / clarify why you shouldn't be premixing it, then that would make it easier to understand how to get the desired result.
The open container is because air interacts with the SN in some way. I cannot confirm exactly how, maybe reduced potency. All SN unsealed will cake/harden and get yellowish with time. Hence the "dry" because air contains moisture so SN may absorb moisture causing it to cake/harden.

Heres what I found. Under proper storage conditions, the shelf life for dry sodium nitrite is at least 3 years. While sodium nitrite may cake, clump and harden within 6 months of the manufacture date, the chemical assay will remain within manufacturing specifications for at least 3 years

• Informative
Reactions: Looking and Fulminare
GettingOut

GettingOut

I'm not worth any tears
Aug 16, 2022
Thanks for all the info on this post! I have the same idea to head to an isolated spot in the middle of the night and consume. Problem is that it is winter at the moment. I thought of slightly heating the water that I'll be taking with me so I can mix it on site. Would the colder temperature speed up becoming unconscious?