Do you hide them?

• Total voters
N

Nofaith

Sep 16, 2018
You can choose up to 3 as you may have them in different areas.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
BaconCheeseburger

BaconCheeseburger

Comfort-eating
Aug 4, 2018
Mine are thin and white on the underside of my forearm, so they're not noticeable unless you grab my arm and really take a proper look.

The darker ones are on my thighs, but noone sees them because of clothes

Reactions: Suicide47, Nofaith and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
Desperate_Soul

Desperate_Soul

I'll See You Guys On The Other Side Of The Rainbow
Aug 26, 2018
I never did cut myself so I don't have any self harm scars.

I used to feel ashamed of myself for not cutting like everybody else. I thought that I did not deserve to be depressed or have suicidal thoughts because I wasn't like everybody else who self harmed by cutting.

I did have a different method of self harm though, I hit myself. I had really bad bruises on my arms. I had to wear long sleeved shirts or wear a thin jacket to cover it up till it faded away.

My friend once asked me to show my wrist to her, and at first I was confused when she examined my wrists so closely, until I realized she was trying to look to see if I had any scars. At that moment in time, I remember feeling relief that I did show any signs of self harm.

Reactions: lostinthedream, Escargot Shorts, Pointlessabyss and 5 others
satou

satou

not yet
Sep 3, 2018
I only ever did this when I was on an antidepressant, because that made me feel nothing but anger. That stuff really fucked with my head. Anyway, because I didn't want to leave scars I would cut along the lines on the inside of my hand. That seems to have worked (or maybe I just didn't cut very deeply, since it was never my intention to wound myself, just to feel pain and push boundaries).

And I used to do a lot of finger biting, but that's more because it helps me focus. Nobody ever seems to have noticed that even though it usually takes an hour or two to fade.

Reactions: RottingFlowerBrains, Nofaith, lv-gras and 1 other person
Brokenanddeadinside

Brokenanddeadinside

Arcanist
Aug 8, 2018
I have a lot of self harm scars on my legs do it there so no one can see. I do have a few self harm burns on my arm though.

Reactions: Nofaith, lv-gras and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
Brokenanddeadinside

Brokenanddeadinside

Arcanist
Aug 8, 2018

I used to feel ashamed of myself for not cutting like everybody else. I thought that I did not deserve to be depressed or have suicidal thoughts because I wasn't like everybody else who self harmed by cutting.

I did have a different method of self harm though, I hit myself. I had really bad bruises on my arms. I had to wear long sleeved shirts or wear a thin jacket to cover it up till it faded away.

My friend once asked me to show my wrist to her, and at first I was confused when she examined my wrists so closely, until I realized she was trying to look to see if I had any scars. At that moment in time, I remember feeling relief that I did show any signs of self harm.
I sometimes hit myself too when I really hate my head and thoughts I'll start punching myself in the face. Also used to punch things till I bled.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Nofaith, Sayo and 1 other person
Lunar

Lunar

Student
Aug 14, 2018
No need to hide them since I don't/can't go outside. The only times I hide them is when my father comes to visit.

I have burn marks on my thighs and some on my forearms that are noticeable. Same for the cuts.

Reactions: Nofaith, weedoge and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
N

Nofaith

Sep 16, 2018
Updated choices.

Reactions: RottingFlowerBrains and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
U

user90872

Aug 22, 2018
Well, I've got a shitton of them on my arms, but only a nurse setting up a cannula could possily notice them. Nowadays I mostly self-harm on upper thighs and my scars there are really deep and visible.

Reactions: Red star, weedoge, Nofaith and 2 others
Trashcan

Trashcan

Trash
Aug 31, 2018
I haven't self harmed in a while. I initially did them on my warm but started switching them over to my leg where no one can see it. They're not visible now. For a while my sister could always figure out when I did them even if I didn't tell anyone. But for those last dozen times I did them or so, no one else knew about it.

Reactions: weedoge, Nofaith, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 1 other person
Brokenanddeadinside

Brokenanddeadinside

Arcanist
Aug 8, 2018
I've been really tempted to self harm today I would if I wasn't living in a car with my father. Just really wanna take a blade and cut a bunch of times and feel my blood slide down.

Reactions: RottingFlowerBrains, weedoge, Kim and 3 others
Abel

Abel

Forgotten
Sep 11, 2018
I have a few light ones on my arm that aren't noticeable unless you look closely, so I don't bother covering those. My ankle, on the other hand, has a bunch of large, nasty scars because of some deep cuts that I didn't bother getting stitches for. I used to not bother covering those, but the looks of horror they garnered (along with the "are you ok?? do you need help???" questions that often follow) was not worth the trouble, so now I just stick to wearing socks all the time.

Reactions: weedoge, Nofaith, Desperate_Soul and 2 others
skyofAuroras

skyofAuroras

Student
Apr 10, 2018
I hide all my scars. I have scars on my legs and arms, and they are extremely noticeable. I hate having to cover up but I would rather not get more stares when I go outside. Now I only cut my legs because they're easy to hide.

Reactions: weedoge, Nofaith, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 1 other person
blood orange

blood orange

Sep 14, 2018
During a bout of psychosis, I held a blade over a fire and pressed it on my inner forearm.

It took forever to heal. It took 2 months for it to stop being gooey pus.
Then it became a round hypertrophic scar on my arm. It's about the size of my palm.

After a year it depuffed, but it's still very noticeable bc it is a big scar.

Reactions: Nofaith and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
Duqu

Duqu

Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!
Aug 27, 2018
I have a lot. I keep the ones on my upper arms hidden because they're huge and keloid (note here though: all my SI scars are white now it's been 5ish years since I last cut) and I'm also super sensitive to how big my upper arms are so I always wear oversized tshirts anyway. The ones on my lower arms would be more obvious if I didn't have such hairy arms and tattoos. I don't hide those. I did when I was younger, but they're white now and I'm pretty pale and I have a LOT of lower arm hair. I have scars on the tops of my arms and underneath as well. The ones one the tops of my arms are larger/thicker but my hair is thicker/darker there too so they're less noticeable. The few I have on my legs are on my upper legs and I never show my upper legs anyway so it's moot.

ETA I was an AVID cutter as a teen and wore long sleeves and pants every day. I told everyone I was always cold. Ha. Right. It's 95F degrees out and I was wearing a black tank top. When I started therapy needless to say my therapist didn't buy into it for very long.

Reactions: RottingFlowerBrains, weedoge, Nofaith and 1 other person
worldexploder

worldexploder

Visionary
Sep 19, 2018
I only self harmed once. That was when I found out that my aunt went to every gunshop in town, showed them my name and picture, and warned them not to sale me a firearm. All because a former friend borrowed my iPad, saw my search history then tattled.

After completely losing it with my family for taking away a method, I got drunk, went down to my basement, And carved a huge X on my upper arm that's still somewhat visable today. I still get pissed off everytime I think about what they did. This happened last year.

I spent hours at a time researching the perfect firearm to use, what bullet to buy, and were to aim.

Last edited:
Reactions: Desperate_Soul, Nofaith, lv-gras and 1 other person
RM5998

RM5998

Sack of Meat
Sep 3, 2018
Well, nobody sees them, sooooooooo...

I'm wearing a sleeveless shirt and am in the middle of a group that contains all the people in college who know me well. They won't see it, and that's probably for the best. Also I'm so sleepy now, makes me feel real stupid.

Reactions: weedoge, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Sayo and 3 others
Sayo

Sayo

Not 2B
Aug 22, 2018
There's slightly noticeable scarring on the underside of my wrist. I wear bracelets a lot but not to hide it. If I'm not wearing bracelets, I don't cover it up. Also on the back of my other hand, but it's not extensive at all. Can't cover that up, and it's fairly ambiguous scarring anyway.

But most of the time I used to cut my thighs etc. so that it would be less easily visible to my mother. If there's scarring that hasn't faded, it'd be covered up by everything I wear anyway. I only started to cut visibly as an adult. I don't think I've cut myself in six months, it got boring to me. I am also a member of the punching self in the head / hitting head on things club.

I feel you. There is definitely a social component to cutting, and some forms of self-harm are considered more glamorous/legitimate than others, just like suicide. I don't really suffer from needing validation that I'm mentally ill anymore, but it's darkly humorous to me that I can inflict far more pain by hitting now I know where to hit than by cutting, but that's just considered throwing a tantrum.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nofaith, weedoge, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 1 other person
Escargot Shorts

Escargot Shorts

Tears-of-a-Clown Ass Bitch
Sep 26, 2018
My most apparent ones are at my upper arm. I haven't engaged in self-cutting in a very long time, and I actually forget I have them from time to time. Early on I used to lie if they were asked about or I'd defer with "oh, i was just doing some stupid shit," which is a very acceptable answer to give as a teenager. I think in the last few years only one person ever asked and it was done in such a way that drew an uncomfortable amount of attention to it while other people were around. I gave an honest answer and it felt better than anything I've ever said before (and maybe just slightly vindicating to see that person kind a squirm and look like an asshole for doing that but that's just me).

Reactions: lv-gras, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Nofaith and 2 others
Desperate_Soul

Desperate_Soul

I'll See You Guys On The Other Side Of The Rainbow
Aug 26, 2018
I think in the last few years only one person ever asked and it was done in such a way that drew an uncomfortable amount of attention to it while other people were around. I gave an honest answer and it felt better than anything I've ever said before (and maybe just slightly vindicating to see that person kind a squirm and look like an asshole for doing that but that's just me).

Savage. Good on you!

Reactions: lv-gras, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Nofaith and 2 others
Duqu

Duqu

Aug 27, 2018
ETA I was an AVID cutter as a teen and wore long sleeves and pants every day. I told everyone I was always cold. Ha. Right. It's 95F degrees out and I was wearing a black tank top. When I started therapy needless to say my therapist didn't buy into it for very long.

Damn drives me nuts not being able to edit. That must've been confusing. I meant TURTLE NECK not TANK TOP. :facepalm:

Reactions: Nofaith, lv-gras and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
Escargot Shorts

Escargot Shorts

Sep 26, 2018
I thought that I did not deserve to be depressed or have suicidal thoughts because I wasn't like everybody else

i used to think my cutting was like, disingenuous because they never were deep enough or too few or i wasn't outright killing myself. isn't it wild the way some of us like, try to disown or negate our own suffering because it doesn't manifest like someone else's?

Reactions: Nofaith, lv-gras, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 3 others
T

Taylored

I've figured it out
Sep 20, 2018
I'm not sure if they are "scars" but they've been there for months faded but easily visible under light. All over my arm from my wrist to my elbow. They're hidden with the exception of two tiny visible scars because of my tan I got over the summer.

Reactions: Nofaith, lv-gras, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 2 others
N

nuclearsnake

Student
Jul 11, 2018
Mine are mostly on the arms and upper legs. I have a few on my stomach and the chest area as well but nobody will ever see those.
I've run around showing those on my arms openly before because I couldn't be bothered with covering them but I always ended up feeling so ashamed that I'm not doing that anymore. When I'm around someone I know I do not try to hide them though.
I do not engage in other types of selfharm. They teach you these skills in therapy and that shit never worked for me because bleeding and destroying my skin/body is such an important aspect for me.
I've started to cut parts of my face too (not deeply and they heal in days) so that's not easy to hide.

It bothers me that it so deeply associated with whiny teenage girls.

Reactions: lv-gras, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Nofaith and 3 others
Escargot Shorts

Escargot Shorts

Sep 26, 2018
It bothers me that it so deeply associated with whiny teenage girls.

it's the misogyny and ways to discredit young women and their pain but yea

Reactions: AveryConure, lv-gras, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 1 other person
Duqu

Duqu

Aug 27, 2018
it's the misogyny and ways to discredit young women and their pain but yea

Absolutely. You can't believe the amount of grief I get for having SI scars (old as they are) as a 30 year old MALE. I mean, yeah I followed the stereotype and most of them were done when I WAS a teenage girl (I'm transmasculine) but some were done after transitioning. But I was openly mocked on a psych ward for having "girl scars" (ridiculous as that seems)

Reactions: AveryConure, Nofaith, lv-gras and 2 others
I

IG959

Arcanist
Aug 14, 2018
I've never felt the need to hide them, I've always been pretty open

Reactions: lv-gras and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
weedoge

weedoge

Banned
Jul 12, 2018
There's slightly noticeable scarring on the underside of my wrist. I wear bracelets a lot but not to hide it. If I'm not wearing bracelets, I don't cover it up. Also on the back of my other hand, but it's not extensive at all. Can't cover that up, and it's fairly ambiguous scarring anyway.

But most of the time I used to cut my thighs etc. so that it would be less easily visible to my mother. If there's scarring that hasn't faded, it'd be covered up by everything I wear anyway. I only started to cut visibly as an adult. I don't think I've cut myself in six months, it got boring to me. I am also a member of the punching self in the head / hitting head on things club.

I feel you. There is definitely a social component to cutting, and some forms of self-harm are considered more glamorous/legitimate than others, just like suicide. I don't really suffer from needing validation that I'm mentally ill anymore, but it's darkly humorous to me that I can inflict far more pain by hitting now I know where to hit than by cutting, but that's just considered throwing a tantrum.
Definitely a social aspect... I self harmed only a tiny bit when I was younger, tiniest little cuts in hidden places.. As if I was testing the waters. I didn't do anything too deep or noticable until I was in hospital for the first time. Cooped up with other under 18s we used to sit in our doorways cutting opposite each other and showing them then hiding it when the nurses walked past. We never got caught out and we did it pretty deep there.

After that I would only do it when I got extremely angry and drugs got me self harming sometimes. Now I keep my arms covered at all times but I've had them for so long if it weren't for this ugly drunken tattoo on one of my arms I'd like not hide my scars. I don't give a shit about hiding my "suffering" anymore if anyone looks twice I'll say fuck them.. Hypothetically because I wont ever show them lol.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, lv-gras and Nofaith
trilogy

trilogy

can't help myself
Sep 7, 2018
mines are on my left wrist so its quite hard to hard, especially with it being summer i'd look quite odd walking around wearing hoodies.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, lv-gras and Nofaith
weedoge

weedoge

Banned
Jul 12, 2018
mines are on my left wrist so its quite hard to hard, especially with it being summer i'd look quite odd walking around wearing hoodies.
Yes it looks odd but I still do it, or long sleeve shirts at least.. Haven't been out in public with short sleeves for literally 6 years

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, RottingFlowerBrains and lv-gras