F

Funeralprincess

Death never turned on me
May 8, 2022
So, I am in my last year of college and last year, I had attempted multiple times in horrible manic depressive states. The residential staff at my school made many reports and now if I am to stay here, I am forced to go to an on campus mental health group which is a joke in and of itself-_-
There were many others who were forced to go to this group and we all looked absolutely miserable... The leader of the group is some "wholistic therapist" and she blatantly asks us if any of us ever tried to build bonds with people and most said yes, and they abandoned us because of our disability. She then suggests smiling more and trying to be happy, and perhaps going up to strangers to make friends…. I'm like lady, our college is NOT a good place to make friends. Why do neurotypical People try to give advice to neurodivergents? Like they speak advice through their lens failing to realize we don't fit in this world MOST of the time because of our illnesses.
She then proceeds to say us being socially awkward is why nobody is our friend and I'm like, ummm many mentally ill people have good social skills, but because they have a mental illness people don't stick around because they refuse to see past it, yet HOW MANY times have us as neurodivergents accepted a neurotypicals horrible flaws and behavior patterns? TOO MANY TO COUNT.

Like, why force us to go to a group where we are essentially told it's our fault and that if we just "smile more" that will suddenly make people like us? I feel people like this are why so many neurodivergent people just give up on therapy because there is so much ignorance within that field more than there is acceptance. I really struggle with dealing with neurotypical people and even the mentally ill people who recovered because they fail to see their good life is about pure luck and they seem to think we all have the same abundance when it comes to luck which, we don't.
I feel like we constantly have to explain why life won't work for us and these people life therapists just blah blah blah tune us out.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Aww..
  • Love
Reactions: sadloner, ryo the frog, binturong and 10 others
jodes2

jodes2

Hello people ❤️
Aug 28, 2022
I'm sorry you're being forced to go to that waste of time and energy

Reactions: TheAntiUSAnimeGirl
F

Funeralprincess

Death never turned on me
May 8, 2022
I'm sorry you're being forced to go to that waste of time and energy
It really is a waste of time. We all have to have forms signed that we attended. I'm like, I hate this lol

• Hugs
Reactions: jodes2
Ginnn

Ginnn

Student
Aug 20, 2022
People who never had problems in life will never know how to solve them, their advice will never help. I hope you can find real support :hug:

• Love
Reactions: Maaizr and Lawliet
F

Funeralprincess

Death never turned on me
May 8, 2022
People who never had problems in life will never know how to solve them, their advice will never help. I hope you can find real support :hug:
Thank you :)

• Hugs
Reactions: Maaizr and Ginnn
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
That sounds really awful. I don't understand how some people think that therapies and mental health groups can solve real problems and take away the very real suffering that exists in this world.

• Hugs
Reactions: Suicidebydeath, Astral Storm, Rogue Proxy and 1 other person
F

Funeralprincess

Death never turned on me
May 8, 2022
That sounds really awful. I don't understand how some people think that therapies and mental health groups can solve real problems and take away the very real suffering that exists in this world.
They are so blind to reality it's sad

Topacio

Topacio

Aug 14, 2022
I feel like we constantly have to explain why life won't work for us and these people life therapists just blah blah blah tune us out.
Therapy is bullshit. It never helped me at all, despite the effort you make to open up you soon realize you come out worse than you went in. They don't listen to you, they just judge you...like everyone else does.

Reactions: Maaizr, Finding Sirius, TigerFestival and 1 other person
H

HoneyandGlass

Student
Jun 22, 2022
I'm sorry you are experiencing this blatant invalidation. What would be good perhaps is for someone to actually state the obvious because of ill health ie: that you may not be able to build bonds as others do, so how can we learn to manage it. Something along those lines to at least validate you and your struggles.

Reactions: Maaizr
Suicidebydeath

Suicidebydeath

No chances to be happy - dead inside
Nov 25, 2021
I'm sorry you have to go through this. I find it funny when someone showed me the Pollyanna principle the other day, and one of the things it says is that 'normal' people (possibly just optimists though) delude themselves over things that happened in the past to be happier. They remember things differently than they actually happened, a rosier version of events. In a way that sounds awful to me. I like being able to remember things even if what I remember sucks. Tbh I used to block a lot of stuff out completely, and it would be too stressful to try to talk about it anyway.

This "just be happier!", "just smile more" and "its all your fault" is complete and utter bullshit. People love to pretend they know better and ask stupid questions as if you haven't already tried everything with at least 100% effort and exhausted all the options most of the time. My whole life I thought there was something wrong with me but no it turns out it's just that my family is toxic af. I think it can be people in general, I don't mind flaws but people can for sure be judgemental hypocrites.

If they spent more time & effort into curing or listening to our problems than they do dismissing them, that'd be a start. Or hey they could work on themselves lol, yeah right.

I hope you find real help and support too, instead of the rubbish and invalidation they force you to attend.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lawliet