ExitStageLeft

ExitStageLeft

Experienced
Mar 7, 2020
The argument is basically an extreme derivative of the Many-Worlds Hypothesis, and it goes something as follows:

You cannot die from your own perspective, and you will eventually go on to become the oldest living person in the world. Others will perceive you to die any time such an outcome is statistically probable, but each time you do your subjectivity survives your cause of death through some random sequence of events, however improbable they might otherwise seem. 'You' are always functionally immortal from the point-of-view of the universe 'you' inhabit (though your body is certainly still subject to the vicissitudes of aging and decay), and you will eventually perceive yourself to become the oldest living person in the world, and, most likely, eventually the only living person in the world, straight through to the heat death of the universe.

This is... absolutely terrifying to me. I was in a serious car accident October before last, before I was truly and finally suicidal, and I walked away from it unscathed.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Ame and Sensei
one4all

one4all

I'll put pennies on your eyes and it will go away.
Feb 3, 2020
LMFAO i can't wait to see you next thread or post.

nitrogen

nitrogen

Schrödinger's cat
Nov 5, 2019
  • What if our decision or act to CTB spawn parallel universes where we fail the attempt and stay alive as vegetables?
  • What if we're ghosts but we're unaware? People who lose a leg can experience phantom limb syndrome in which case they experience the sensations in the lost limb. Following that line of logic, we lose our entire body and might still feel sensations in the entire lost body.
  • What if we're already dead and in our personal hell? If we go through the cycle of death and resurrection in hell, after we CTB, we might jolt right back "alive" and relive this life.
  • What if we're already dead and this world is heaven? (stole this one from @Sensei )
  • What if we're characters in a virtual simulation and each of us has a player, and every unspeakable thing we do in private gets watched and snickered at?
Welcome to my headspace.
Screen Shot 2020 04 08 at 115119 PM

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: Silvermorning, Ame, Brink and 2 others
Soul

Soul

gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha
Apr 12, 2019
@ExitStageLeft, in your scenario wouldn't a lot more of us publish books? manifestos for social justice? epic poems? profound philosophy? I know I would.

• Love
Reactions: nitrogen
Moreofthesamepain

Moreofthesamepain

Apr 25, 2020
Death is scary. Life is terrifying. I don't recall any other lives but this one. So, how would you know this occurred?