sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that’s just me
Sep 13, 2023
Someone told me that they feel like I'm "putting some sort of shell around [myself]." What does this mean?

Reactions: Rocinante and Passersby
Blue Elephant

Blue Elephant

Mage
Sep 22, 2023
You should ask them!

Reactions: sserafim
Blurry_Buildings

Blurry_Buildings

Just Existing
Sep 27, 2023
I think it means that they think you are being emotionally distant. Like not sharing much information about yourself or how your day went or what is happening in your life with them.

They may want to be friends or have a closer relationship. They are probably saying this because they want you to "open up" or talk to them more.

• Informative
Reactions: leavingthesoultrap, Forever Sleep, MyChoiceAlone and 4 others
K

KafkaF

Taking a break from the website.
Nov 18, 2023
Someone told me that they feel like I'm "putting some sort of shell around [myself]." What does this mean?
I'd say there are two likely interpretations:

1. I believe you're autistic, correct? Well, if you're not familiar with it, masking is common for autistic people to engage in especially. It may refer to that. And that they feel that.

2. They just feel you don't let other people get emotionally close to you. You don't allow yourself to be emotional and vulnerable around them. Don't let yourself care about them, etc.

I'd say the second is the most likely.

• Informative
Reactions: Final_Choice, Praestat_Mori and sserafim
DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023
My mistake, I misread the post. I thought you meant them. I think @KafkaF is right. Putting up walls so you don't let people get close to you.

• Informative
Reactions: MyChoiceAlone, sserafim and Praestat_Mori
sserafim

sserafim

Sep 13, 2023
I'd say there are two likely interpretations:

1. I believe you're autistic, correct? Well, if you're not familiar with it, masking is common for autistic people to engage in especially. It may refer to that. And that they feel that.

2. They just feel you don't let other people get emotionally close to you. You don't allow yourself to be emotional and vulnerable around them. Don't let yourself care about them, etc.

I'd say the second is the most likely.
I think that vulnerability is a sign of weakness lol. Also, I've never trusted anyone enough to confide in them
No, I wouldn't say so.
Why? What are normal/most people like?
I think it means that they think you are being emotionally distant. Like not sharing much information about yourself or how your day went or what is happening in your life with them.

They may want to be friends or have a closer relationship. They are probably saying this because they want you to "open up" or talk to them more.
What kind of closer relationship?

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocinante
K

KafkaF

Nov 18, 2023
I think that vulnerability is a sign of weakness lol. Also, I've never trusted anyone enough to confide in them

Why? What are normal/most people like?

What kind of closer relationship?
Lol. Then you probably have your answer, I guess.

• Informative
Reactions: sserafim
sserafim

sserafim

Sep 13, 2023
Lol. Then you probably have your answer, I guess.
Wdym? I guess I just don't feel comfortable with someone else fulling knowing me. I don't want to fully reveal myself to someone

Reactions: Rocinante, Blue Elephant, 4am and 2 others
K

KafkaF

Nov 18, 2023
I guess I just don't feel comfortable with someone else fulling knowing me
I can understand that. The more you expose yourself, the more you leave yourself open to be hurt. Though in my mind there is never a risk of that. Nobody can ever truly know someone else fully, in my opinion. But to be known deeply I do think is an incredible experience. It is a high like no other I've ever experienced.

To be truly seen for who you are, and have someone love you not in spite of who you truly are but because of who you truly are. Because they know you and they truly see you. That is something special.

• Informative
Reactions: Blue Elephant, Forever Sleep, sserafim and 1 other person
K

KafkaF

Nov 18, 2023
I don't even fully know myself.
I think there are two kinds of people: Those who think they fully know themselves, and those who know better.

I don't think anyone fully knows themselves. We often can and do discover new things about ourselves. I know I do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blue Elephant, sserafim and Guy Smiley