Anxieyote

Anxieyote

Sobriety over everything else • 30 • Midwest
Mar 24, 2021
Everytime I have gone on the mental health subreddits, there is always a comment like "YoU neEd to go 2 the hOspital nOw" when I express my mental health problems or health concerns.

I know resting heart rate of 140-150bpm isn't normal, but even with health insurance, my last psych ward visit gave me a $1000 bill. If I went to the psych ward as often as the people on Reddit told me too, I would be a homeless man.

I hate that whenever a situation is out of their wheelhouse they say "Hospital NOW" like it is the solution to everything. A hospital visit will just make things worse.

Why aren't online resources better? The internet has a bunch of people on it. It shouldn't be the responsibility of you guys to help me when I am on the middle of an episode and needing help, yet I find the hotlines to be inadequate most of the time.

It is also wrong that I have to come up with my own unconventional therapies to help, like when I make up imaginary conversations or scenarios in my head.

• Hugs
  • Wow
Reactions: Hirokami, KuriGohan&Kamehameha, lofticries and 10 others
Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
It's probably because of the fear of accountability. By handballing the situation to the experts, they've done the safe thing and covered themselves. It's probably why so many people lose all hope, since the experts won't actually have the right solutions for every situation. It would be better if we were able to openly discuss unconventional therapies.

Reactions: KuriGohan&Kamehameha, lofticries, Anxieyote and 3 others
WorthlessTrash

WorthlessTrash

Worthless
Apr 19, 2022
They suggest it because they want to feel like they've done "sonething" and there are no consequences to them if it doesn't work.

Reactions: Hirokami, lofticries, archipelago and 4 others
Anxieyote

Anxieyote

Mar 24, 2021
They suggest it because they want to feel like they've done "sonething" and there are no consequences to them if it doesn't work.
They wouldn't suggest it nearly as much if they had to pay a portion of the bill.

"Just go to the hospital bro"

And then when I leave, I get to start making monthly payments on another bill that I can't afford on top of the other bills that I already can't afford…..so my quality of life goes down even more…….yeeeaaaah.

Sometimes it feels like the current system wants us to die.

Last edited:
  • Aww..
Reactions: Hirokami, LeavingEarly, Rogue Proxy and 3 others
C

Carlotta16

The Best I Can Do is Nothing
Mar 16, 2022
Everytime I have gone on the mental health subreddits, there is always a comment like "YoU neEd to go 2 the hOspital nOw" when I express my mental health problems or health concerns.

I know resting heart rate of 140-150bpm isn't normal, but even with health insurance, my last psych ward visit gave me a $1000 bill. If I went to the psych ward as often as the people on Reddit told me too, I would be a homeless man.

I hate that whenever a situation is out of their wheelhouse they say "Hospital NOW" like it is the solution to everything. A hospital visit will just make things worse.

Why aren't online resources better? The internet has a bunch of people on it. It shouldn't be the responsibility of you guys to help me when I am on the middle of an episode and needing help, yet I find the hotlines to be inadequate most of the time.

It is also wrong that I have to come up with my own unconventional therapies to help, like when I make up imaginary conversations or scenarios in my head.
I live in the UK so healthcare is free but I still don't go to the hospital when they tell me to and this is mainly because of the way we are treated in the hospital. It's like we are a second class part of society and like we don't deserve the empathy and consideration and understanding that people who attend hospital with physical ailments get. It just so wrong and so f****d up and they wonder why people won't seek help from hospitals.

Reactions: Hirokami, KuriGohan&Kamehameha, outrider567 and 5 others
Anxieyote

Anxieyote

Mar 24, 2021
I live in the UK so healthcare is free but I still don't go to the hospital when they tell me to and this is mainly because of the way we are treated in the hospital. It's like we are a second class part of society and like we don't deserve the empathy and consideration and understanding that people who attend hospital with physical ailments get. It just so wrong and so f****d up and they wonder why people won't seek help from hospitals.
It's so fucked up. I've been dealing with some psychotic symptoms lately, and it is an isolating feeling. Something is definitely wrong in my head, but since it's not a visible wound, I can appear "normal" until I start babbling or spacing off too much.

Have to physically wound yourself or make a CTB attempt before appropriate measures are taken.

• Hugs
Reactions: waitingforrest
W

waitingforrest

Elementalist
Dec 27, 2021
When even help comes at a price . It really is all about the money , how much they can squeeze out . It feels like I'm a cash cow to them . Hospitals are like a buisnesses profiting of dying people at this point .

It's all too expensive . They charge you so much for the little work they . In psych wards they just sit around most of the time and give worksheets on mental health . And at the end when they think you are better , they slap you with the expensive bill . You really are right , the constant just go to the hospital saying is more like a excuse to stop talking about mental heath . Or the even annoying hotline number spam .

There is no price on a life is bullshit the doctors will all say . But it's just about the money . Some would quit if they didn't get paid so much . It's not a charity , it's for profit .

People go to get with their mental illnesses . Go to the hospital. Get released from the hospital , congratulations ! They still have untreated mental illnesses because of the useless treatments and they also get a really expensive bill. As a bonus, they are now facing homelessness. And also it is now in their medical record.

S**t , even the " confidential " suicides are a buisness . Recently their ceo was called out for selling data from calls for his own s**t new company . They used data from suicidal people to make a stupid Al chatbot they can sell .

Psychotic symptoms are hard for other people to understand unless they have gone through it. Otherwise, most people sadly think that psychotic symptoms makes someone dangerous and violent. Some mental illnesses are more acceptatble than others.

People tell a therapist they have depression and get the usual motivational talk. But if they talk to the therapist about psychosis, the therapist instantly has uncomfortable look and fear in their eyes for a second, like they might be suddenly attacked.

I wish people could just be as good as they say they are, or that people stop trying to profit on everything. No one should have to deal with their illnesses alone. No one should be prevented from geting health care just because of a piece of paper.

Sending a hug. I'm sorry, it must be lonely. I know whatever you are feeling is painful. And the episodes must be much more stressful to go through it all alone. The healthcare system is truly f**ked up.

• Love
Reactions: KuriGohan&Kamehameha and Anxieyote
GentlyFading

GentlyFading

seasoned lurker (*ノωノ)ᵉᵉᵏ
Dec 28, 2021
IMO people who say "you need to go to a psych hospital" have never been to a psych unit. Most of them are awful and they don't help unless you want to be there and you're lucky to get a good social worker managing your discharge. They're expensive af even if you have decent copays otherwise.

People who say shit like that make it clear that they don't care about helping the person they're advising. They just want to comfort themselves in doing a good thing.

And yeahhh I find most of the hotlines are hit or miss and that's *without experiencing psychosis.* Not to mention much of the funding goes to youth programs so once you hit 25 your on your own. Ugh the mental health awareness campaigns are shit too it's either "check in on your friends" which yeah everyone knows or two "reach out [and pay us money]." *cough cough* betterhelp *cough*

I'm not as bitter about the whole deal because it's an aspect of the economic system we have. In the US there are multitudes of reasons why we pay so much: it's beneficial to employers if their workers are tethered to them for healthcare, if prescriptions were paid a similar flat rate it would be detrimental to pharmaceutical companies who have to go against shareholder interests and decreasing their profit margins, healthcare employees have bills to pay and government rates pay shit (the burnout and understaffing and long waitlists in Canada, UK, Spain, etc are god awful). I added the first two because I try to avoid saying that healthcare industry is "failing" or "broken." It's a failure to poor and chronically ill folks, but it's the way it is because it's more beneficial for maintaining the economy and other social constructs. (a lot of netizens talk about "big pharma" ends up in conspiracy territory and begins to sound like the protocols of elders of zion. This isn't so much about morally bankrupt individuals conspiring. It's that the way to succeed in the industry is by dispensing morals and prioritizing profit over people).

Tl;dr I think you're right to think that the healthcare industry wants you dead. You being alive isn't benificial to larger social systems. It's fucked and you deserve a better world.

This reply became a rambling mess ;-; Let me wrap this up. Psychotic episodes are terrifying and not to mention stigmatized af...if only ending the stigma applied to the illnesses that are scary... :') You're doing the best that you can. I think it's admirable how you're trying to figure out ways to cope on your own. Take care man. I wish you the best in whatever you decide to do from here.

• Informative
Reactions: wljourney and Anxieyote
O

ornitier199

Arcanist
Mar 26, 2022
ezgif-com-gif-maker.gif

Reactions: rationaltake and Anxieyote
G

Graytaichi

Wizard
Feb 14, 2022

How is it a luxury. Its an animal zoo ,bed ,no phone , no internet.

Reactions: Anxieyote
wljourney

wljourney

Waiting for the bus
Apr 2, 2022
People who have not experienced this themselves believe that staying at a psych hospital actually HELPS people and FIXES a problem.

In my experience all hospitals do is stabilize a person to prevent harm of themselves or others and then patients are sent off to fend for themselves.

Very rarely does a hospital stay actually result in a thorough medication review.

Most of the time all you get is a referral to a GP and they are overwhelmed with figuring out how to help.

That being said, antipsychotic meds are notoriously difficult for patients to take on a regular basis. They come with so many debilitating side effects, that many patients stop taking them and then… well. Round and round it goes.

Wishing you the very best OP and I hope you find a way out of the labyrinth.

• Hugs
Reactions: Anxieyote and KuriGohan&Kamehameha