Do you think your government could improve your life quality so that suicide would be less likely?

• I am pretty sure they could prevent my suicide (e.g. when poverty/health care are main reaons)

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • They could decrease the likelihood of my suicide substantially (e.g. providing more resources)

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • They could decrease the likelihood of my suicide slightly

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • I would prefer assisted suicide (even if I had to go through (more) therapy/medication for it)

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • Government policies are totally unrelated to my suciidality - so "no" as an answer

Votes: 12 30.8%

• Total voters
N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
Germany so far has not started a war against this forum. The media ignores it they probably fear the streisand effect. Honestly the government could improve my life quality in so many different ways but banning this forum certainly is not one of them.

Why I added the assisted suicide question? Many people argue people should try therapy and medication before killing themselves if an illness is the main reason (which is also my personal approach to suicidality). If assisted suicide was an option and there were facilities where they take you serious, talking with you about life and death so that both outcomes are possible (not like the current ones - I don't feel taken serious if the outcome of the discussion is already set). People might would try therapy and medication more often. Which the government seemingly wants. Due to fact that usually is the condition for getting approved to assisted suicide in most cases. So allowing liberal assisted suicide could actually help people who actually don't really want to die. The empirical evidence shows though assisted suicide does not decrease suicide numbers. I have many theories on that. But I am no expert and my answers might be too much of a speculation.

Personally I think my government could decrease the suicide rates in general and the likelihood that I commit suicide in a drastic way.

Increase welfare substanitally to the number the social organisations demand for their definiton of a life with dingitiy. I am pretty sure I gonna kill me because of poverty. Potential poverty is daily on my mind. Not having to fear about that would be so fucking good. Suicide hotlines and some warm words don't help me. Yes it might be a utopian idea. But otherwise you should not expect that people go through that torment. If you don't offer them a life with dignity you should not wonder when they kill themselves. Poverty is often a main reason for suicide that is a fact everyone knows that. Don't act like you did not knew that. Campaigns against this forum are pretty cheap. Actually improving people's life is way more complex, needs more resources and more courage. Moreover stop agitating on poor people. Scapegoating them for everything. People target the weakest groups. Billionaires should pay their fari share. Not the ones with tormenting diseases who barely can leave their beds. My anxiety would get so so much less if I knew there was a real safety net. Two of my former therapists came to the conclusion if I end up on welfare forever I gonna ctb eventually. Which is also my conclusion. This is one reason why my anxiety is so fucking bad on a daily basis.

Stop agitating against foreigners and refugees that could decrease the suicide rate probably.

End homelessness. NOW! No lame excuses!

Cheaper rents,,cheaper food. More apartments which are not extremely expensive

Better treatments for drug addicted people

In other countries (not Germany) free education and free health care.

Better research for complex illnesses.

Better education for parents how to raise their kids.

Better availability of therapists and cheap medication.

Less performance pressure, less stigmatization of suicidality and mental illnesses

In other countries probably: democracy, human rights, religious freedom, no violence, minority rights, actually ways to live a halfway decent lives

What do you think? If this is too much of a utopian idea for you then my answer is: your notion of a world without suicide is also utopian. Especially if you had the resources to help so many people who are in an existential predicament.

Reactions: katagiri83, Praestat_Mori, Lostandlooking and 4 others
BlackMoon

BlackMoon

Peace-seeker
Oct 30, 2023
It would not solve all my problems because it's not a political issue but a social one, but they could at least repeal some laws that reinforce stigma against people like me.

Reactions: Skathon, sserafim, NeedAnEscape and 1 other person
K

Kit1

Enlightened
Oct 24, 2023
If medical care and the manner in which patients are treated by medical staff and the NHS as a whole changes to a positive one, there might be a decrease in suicides. In fact, all Government Departments need to work together to provide a better, fairer system and serve people with accessible needs and adhere is the already existing Equality acts in the UK for there to be a possible reduction in suicides. Though personally, I have stopped believing that there will ever be meaningful changes.

Reactions: Skathon
Nlis2244

Nlis2244

Alone
May 13, 2022
My government could certainly make life more worth living if they did the things you said, but that would require them to be competent and capable of doing good. But even if they were, those aren't the main reasons i want to ctb, so i'd still do it.

Reactions: Skathon, sserafim and NeedAnEscape
NeedAnEscape

NeedAnEscape

awaiting the end
Oct 16, 2023
My reasons for suicide exist purely in my mind, and I doubt that there is anything the government can do to prevent my suicidal feelings.

Reactions: Nlis2244
C

ClownWorld2023

Arcanist
Sep 18, 2023
They definitely can, but they care more about their stupid unreasonable laws and draconian bureaucracy.

I really hate my government.

Reactions: sserafim and Skathon
sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that’s just me
Sep 13, 2023
My problem is being a neurodivergent person living in a neurotypical world. The world just isn't a good fit for me, and I'm not a good fit for it either. I don't know how much the government could help me, as my problem is life and living itself. I'd rather prefer assisted suicide than being "helped".

• Hugs
Reactions: ijustwishtodie, ClownWorld2023 and noname223
Celerity

Celerity

shape without form, shade without colour
Jan 24, 2021
Yes, if living wasn't so expensive, life would be more tolerable for sure. It seems like everything requires being a debt slave unless you're born into a wealthy family. I am thankful that my chronic conditions are not too expensive to treat.

Reactions: sserafim
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
It's a difficult question for me to answer personally. It's hard for me to know what's reasonably their fault and my own.

Overall though- I'm in the UK. And yes- there's loads more they could be doing for people who are suffering in general. The NHS is on it's knees. I expect mental healthcare is even worse. Just in general though- I suppose I don't like the pro-life platitude bullshit approach given to suicidal people. The cost of living is also ridiculous and putting pressure on everyone.

For me personally. My major problem I suppose is my coping mechanism- my creative job happens to be in a dying industry. Part of the blame is on me because of my lack of confidence and social anxiety issues- which I should have dealt with.

Still- I guess the question becomes- Should people be able to get sufficiently paying jobs in areas in which they are best in and more to the point- paid shit loads to study? Is it right for universities to charge tens of thousands of pounds to teach someone a subject in which they won't be able to get a job at the end?

The government subsidises some industries- like farming but, not others. I guess they have to though. There's only so much money to go around and the basics need to be covered first.

So- in my personal circumstances, I don't know. I know I hate the lack of opportunities people like me have. Some of my enormously talented friends are stuck in wage slave shop jobs. Plus- my industry absolutely takes the piss. They want people to work for no or low pay all the time regardless of how much money we invested in learning how to do this. I doubt they get their accountants to do their tax returns for free for work experience! That's on employers and this industry but ultimately- it's because of lack of funding I expect. Again though- I get why governments can't support everyone.

It does mean of course that creative people get forced into non creative jobs which- in my experience- makes them miserable. So then- I guess it comes down to- should we be working towards excellence in individual ambition and achievement? Or, should we all just have to knuckle down and slave away at menial jobs for the greater good? The former sounds ideal but the latter I suppose is the reality.

• Hugs
Reactions: noname223, Celerity, sserafim and 2 others
Left

Left

4 Dead 3 please release.
Oct 13, 2023
My problem fundamentally revolves around childhood trauma and genetic disposition, so there isn't anything the government could do to reverse that. Theoretically, the government could enter $1 trillion into my bank account and allow me to spend it on anything I've ever wanted, including world-class therapy; that would probably diminish my desire to ctb but that's clearly unrealistic. Realistically, the government could attempt to incentivize societal change which could prevent people like me from turning out the way I did. Also, the government could make incremental economic changes that make life a little more bearable. Overall, though, I see no savior in the government, and any impact it'll have on my mental health is minuscule and most likely negative, if anything else.

Reactions: Praestat_Mori
DearMe

DearMe

Let’s have tea together.
Nov 6, 2023
Negative. I find myself in mental and social structure issues rather than material or political issues. It could not change me unless I have someone who would drag me back from the dead. It's what I get for being so stubborn and not so willful to be alive.
Season 5 Idk GIF by Paramount+

Reactions: Praestat_Mori
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I'm not interested in any kind of life under any circumstances. I will always prefer the sound of permanent non-existence, existing just isn't for me. And for me only death can offer true relief from all suffering anyway, existence itself is the problem, legalising assisted suicide would be the solution to this.

To me wanting to die is all that feels rational anyway and makes sense rather than being an "illness" that people need helping from. I just have awareness of how existing is meaningless and undesirable suffering, to me the true absurd thing is actually wanting to stay here in this futile existence where there is no limit as to how much we can suffer.

Reactions: sserafim