• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

Felodese

Felodese

Experienced
Mar 31, 2024
I'm very ambivalent about recovery, but in the moments when I do lean towards trying to get better, I often try to find podcasts or youtube channels that might be helpful/relateable. It's not going very well though. Maybe I'm overly choosy...

Anyway, the problem is I have a very hard time finding anything where they're not:
  • selling something
  • where short moments of symptom relief is called being cured
  • where the advice is very vague
  • that is only talking about recovery from a short depressive episode (I have chronic depression)
  • Is triggerin in some way (all my triggers would make a really long list, sorry)
  • calling being slightly less depressed - and desperately trying to stay that way, by using 20 different extremely time consuming techniques every day - complete recovery
Does anyone have any recomendations, that they've found to be truly helpful (and that aren't any of the above)?
I'm especially looking for something that adresses not wanting to get better/ambivalence, about recovery from long term/chronic depression, or what the recovery process actually feels like (like an honest one, with the good, bad and ugly)?

Reactions: m4rius
lacrimosa

lacrimosa

Student
Jul 1, 2024
I would recommend Pursuit of Wonder.

Example video:

Trigger warning: Use at your own discretion and don't watch any of the channel's movies with troubling subject matter. Most of the movies are PG or G rated so I don't think you will be triggered. As I don't know what your specific triggers are, it's impossible to recommend too much without unintentionally triggering you.

not_actually_human

not_actually_human

so unsafe. so angry.
Nov 12, 2022
would you like to see an ordinary dude try to give you their perspective on the Bhagvad Gita, interpreting it to address also chronic psychological affliction? , and I think this may match, honestly. @satshree on youtube, he has a playlist.
i resonate with your last 3 bullet points for my own experience, fwiw, and i also always used to, and still sometime when I'm very down and inert, desperately seek for inoffensive content, it was then its own painful experience. and honestly, any "recovery" oriented stuff is the worst, because its never logically rigorous, and would make me angry therefore, which isn't good if i'm already in delusion and have been robed of my ability to reason - i feel calm now to identify that as nothing but just another form of the same cruelty. even western philosophy was better than that. and on that note, I enjoyed reading some Hegel, it didn't piss me off too much, and it was stimulating, intellectually, spiritually as well. how do we feel about text content. https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/hegel-dialectics, suitable to read for anyone.

best.

Last edited:
Felodese

Felodese

Experienced
Mar 31, 2024
I would recommend Pursuit of Wonder.

Example video:

Trigger warning: Use at your own discretion and don't watch any of the channel's movies with troubling subject matter. Most of the movies are PG or G rated so I don't think you will be triggered. As I don't know what your specific triggers are, it's impossible to recommend too much without unintentionally triggering you.

My list of triggers is so fucking long it's almost comical. It's seriously from a guy telling a very sweet story about starting a difficult conversation with loved ones by asking if there was anything he could tell them about himself that would make them love him less and getting an enormous amout of love and support - to my shrink mentioning a fucking pasta machine... 😂

But thank you, I'll check it out

K

Kavka

Jun 11, 2024
I think most media that's focused on mental health issues tends to be hopeful, feel-good and kind of shallow, but that's just my (bitter) opinion.

Maybe a philosophy or biography podcast could be interesting? I sometimes listen to the Art of Darkness, "a podcast about the dark side of (dead) artists, creatives, intellectuals and the people who made history and continue to move culture".

It's not focused on mental health and recovery (on the contrary), but it's interesting, sometimes relatable, and every now and then the people being featured have come up with an out-of-the-box way to deal with their "darkness".

lita-lassi

lita-lassi

let me spell it out for you: go to hell
Sep 25, 2023
exurb1a

the title sounds harsh but just hold out for a while

Reactions: Felodese
Felodese

Felodese

Experienced
Mar 31, 2024
would you like to see an ordinary dude try to give you their perspective on the Bhagvad Gita, interpreting it to address also chronic psychological affliction? , and I think this may match, honestly. @satshree on youtube, he has a playlist.
I'm guessing buddhism..?
even western philosophy was better than that. and on that note, I enjoyed reading some Hegel, it didn't piss me off too much, and it was stimulating, intellectually, spiritually as well. how do we feel about text content. https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/hegel-dialectics, suitable to read for anyone
Thanks, I'll have s look.

Maybe a philosophy or biography podcast could be interesting? I sometimes listen to the Art of Darkness, "a podcast about the dark side of (dead) artists, creatives, intellectuals and the people who made history and continue to move culture".
Getting real Aleister Crowley vibes, but why not. If nothing else it might be entertaining.

Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you 🕯️ Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020
idk if its what youre looking for but i personally like to watch Youranxietyislying2yew2.0 and Clawed Beauty101. im not sure where they post everything (as some people will have multiple platforms) but i watch them on fb.

your anxiety is lying to you, i personally find is mostly about trauma while clawed beauty is mostly about lgbt with some other stuff sprinkled in, so there might be a video there

i am curious about the "vague" part though? maybe you mean something slightly different then what i think but how can content creators not be at least a little vague? theyre dealing with an audience of millions of individuals, you cant really touch on everything.

edit: theres also LucianoxxxArellano, he mostly deals with bpd.

all of these lean towards positive, but are mostly relatable. sometimes you have to ignore the sentences that arent "on your level" to get to the "good" info though

Last edited:
Felodese

Felodese

Experienced
Mar 31, 2024
idk if its what youre looking for but i personally like to watch Youranxietyislying2yew2.0 and Clawed Beauty101. im not sure where they post everything (as some people will have multiple platforms) but i watch them on fb.
I think I've seen the first one on instagram. Thanks for the tip.

i am curious about the "vague" part though? maybe you mean something slightly different then what i think but how can content creators not be at least a little vague? theyre dealing with an audience of millions of individuals, you cant really touch on everything.
Stuff like "feel your feelings", "fall in love with life", "trust the process", and so on. I want something a bit more specific, or an example of how you'd go about doing whatever it is they're telling you to do. Like "feel your feelings - here's what I mean by that, and one way you could try doing it".

• Love
Reactions: Life_and_Death