Stan

Stan

Factoid Hunter
Aug 29, 2019
For a group of people who say they don't like pointless platitudes, I really see a lot of them around at times on this forum.

Reactions: Shakespear's Brother and Brick In The Wall
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
For a group of people who say they don't like pointless platitudes, I really see a lot of them around at times on this forum.

I understand your frustration, however, words in general are empty without action. I think some people just want to provide support in whatever way they can. This place is little more then words and resources as that's all it's designed to be.

Stan

Stan

Factoid Hunter
Aug 29, 2019
It wasn't support that sparked this. Someone summarised their problem and one of the responses was along the lines of "I don't think your problems are that big"

Reactions: Shakespear's Brother and Brick In The Wall
J

jgm63

Visionary
Oct 28, 2019
Well, sometimes you either ignore someone, or try to say what words you feel best fit the situation.
Because the person might be in a desparate situation, you feel you should say something, as best you can....
It can often be difficult to know exactly what to say, so you just do what you can.....

But your statement is a fairly sweeping generalisation : "For a group of people who say".
Perhaps only a few people made that statement, but you've somehow translated that into thinking that the majority of people think it....

Reactions: Brick In The Wall
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
It wasn't support that sparked this. Someone summarised their problem and one of the responses was along the lines of "I don't think your problems are that big"

Ah yes, now that is frustrating. One mans mole hill is another mans mountain. We should never trivialize the problems of others.

Reactions: Worthless_nobody, Élégie, noctiva and 1 other person
J

jgm63

Visionary
Oct 28, 2019
Ah yes, now that is frustrating. One mans mole hill is another mans mountain. We should never trivialize the problems of others.
But when people say that, they're just trying to encourage the OP to re-assess if possible, and look on the brighter side. Of course, it often doesn't work, but it's worth a try.... I don't think they're usually trying to trivialise, although I suppose it could be read that way (incorrectly though in my view).

Last edited: