GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
The first philosophy class I ever took was called The Philosophy of Human Rights. Many of us who took the class had never taken philosophy before.

At the beginning of the course, the professor instructed us to set our own ethics and beliefs aside, and to engage with each topic presented from the perspectives of the philosophers we were introduced to.

Some folks had a really difficult time with that. One of the topics was the right to die. I remember one classmate, a Catholic, was offended and emotional. In the context of the discussion, in which someone was in a nursing home and suffering, her stance was that the person's family should be there for them, thereby overriding the choice for euthanasia. I got emotional in reaction to her, and answered from my perspective rather than that of a philosopher. I said that I was single and didn't want children, and it was likely that I would be alone when I was older, so her argument wasn't universally applicable.

I cannot say this for certain, but I think most if not all humans have a natural tendency to experience others' problems from our own personal and limited perspectives, and therefore may want to deny others a choice that conflicts with what we could choose for ourselves.

For example, I may think another's method, or how they choose to experience the method, is too painful. It's as if I myself am experiencing the method and, with it, my own lack of tolerance for pain, and so my first instinct may be to want to stop the other person from experiencing that which I don't want.

Or I may strongly desire what I consider a peaceful method, while others do not, and it's difficult to accept their choice, perhaps because I may experience it as accepting the choice for myself as well when I absolutely would not.

In both of these instances, I am able to detach and to tolerate others' choices, as well as vocally support the choices.

But then there's the idea of a method's reliability. It's hard for me to fathom that some folks would rather attempt with an unreliable method, even after receiving sufficient and verifiable data that it is likely to not result in death.

As with painful methods, I have to take myself out of the consideration, and acknowledge that the other person may not be approaching the attempt from the same stance as I would; in this case, my personal goal would be the definitive end of life as the result of the attempt, not rescue, hospitalization, physical injury, long-term recovery, permanent damage, or sectioning.

I am uncomfortable with all of these outcomes, and as with painful methods, it's my discomfort that I ultimately have to deal with, not the option to survive the attempt, nor the person choosing it. In reflection, I think that, for humans, it is an internal deception that it is far easier to confront and try to change the external, even when it is clearly beyond our control, than to face, explore, and grapple with the internal.

The hardest scenario for me is when someone chooses to involve an unwilling other in their attempt, such as the train method, suicide by cop, or jumping into traffic, because the person wielding the means to die is not given a choice, so it is not a truly pro-choice scenario.

This is a likely incomplete summary of the arguments I have thus far seen in defense of proxy methods: generalizations about what training those in official capacities have to prepare them for such an event, and what benefits will be available to them for recovery; generalizations about how the other will not be deeply affected, won't care, and/or will recover quickly; that the one considering the option does not have the ability to also consider another's pain alongside or as equal to their own; or, simply, that this is the method they choose.

I hesitate to say this because I recognize there may be some hubris in it, but I have yet to see a truly rational argument to validate the choice of a proxy method. However, if such an argument exists and I discover it, I would be likely to present such a stance in support of the member considering that option, in spite of its unpopularity. For me to adopt it, it would have to be both rational and ethical, such as a Stoic argument.

Until then, my stance is to argue against such a method with what I perceive as reason, and appeal to that member's reason. If the person considering the method does not accept my reasoning, then I accept that their opinions, feelings, choices are not within my control, are likely not fully conceivable to me for a variety of internal and external reasons, and, ultimately, I may not be right anyway, if rightness even exists.

When I remember to, I follow up internally with a little supplemental Buddhist philosophy, sincerely wishing for the well-being of all involved, and then detach.

I am no saint, my shit most assuredly stinks, and I hope it's clear that this essay was no sermon. It's a personal reflection of my perceptions and my ethics, and how they continue to develop within the context of the forum. Many folks here speak and explore their hearts and thoughts in a variety of ways; personal essays are a way in which I speak and explore mine, and receive responsive feedback that helps me to either develop or, if needed, alter them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brink and zeroambition
E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
Seeing that I enjoy whodunnits I will start by commenting the end of your essay, and slowly work my way through to the beginning.

"Many folks here speak and explore their hearts and thoughts in a variety of ways; personal essays are a way in which I speak and explore mine."

This observation is worth its weight in gold. I think that a lot of the discord on the forum stems from the expectation that each post is a finished thought. In fact, posts here tend to resemble streams of consciousness - they are often unstructured, explorative, inconsistent and liable to revision. Nothing we write here is rigorous, scientific, fact-based. We play with big, heavy words such as life, death and suicide as if we were playing a game of boules - we throw heavy balls at a very small target, and more often than not, miss it alltogether.

Exploration through freedom of expression and lack of expectations - this is how I view this forum and what it means to me.

"and then detach"

This place swallows you up whole, if you are not able to practise some detachment and remind yourself the simple truth that noone knows the real you.

By extension it could be argued that arguments on the forum are actually never personal - how can anything be personal when we know each other through a handful of broken fragments written in haste here and there, whenever we take a breather from our daily lives?

"But I think most if not all humans have a natural tendency to experience others' problems from our own personal and limited perspectives, and therefore may want to deny others a choice that conflicts with what we could choose for ourselves."

I would replace the words "most if not all" by "all". Tentativeness is a virtue when writing essays, but in this particular case I say we throw it out the window. Noone can ever see the world through the prism of your experiences, intellect and feelings. All we have are our own biased and quite vague fantasies about other people's lives and what it best for them. I am a staunch and unweavering opponent to any type of attempt to influence another individual's path and choices. Hence my being active on a pro-choice forum.

"In both of these instances, I am able to detach and to tolerate others' choices."

To tolerate that each individual is completely free to make autonomous decisions concerning his/her life presuposes first and foremost an enormous amount of self-acceptance, meaning that only when you accept yourself, can you allow others to make their own choices.

In my experience it is often those who lack self-acceptance that are most eager to control and influence other people, as it gives them a sense of validation which they are unable to find within themselves.

"The first philosophy class I ever took was called The Philosophy of Human Rights."

The first philosophy course I ever took was on pre-socratic philosophy. To this day I hold them in reverence. After all, we have them to thank for the beautiful concepts panta rhei, cosmos and atom.

Reactions: GoodPersonEffed
J

jgm63

Visionary
Oct 28, 2019
we throw heavy balls at a very small target, and more often than not, miss it alltogether.
ooh err missus !!!
It may also be worth observing that rugby players do it with odd shaped balls..... (I saw that on a sticker on a rear car window, so it must be true).

E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
ooh err missus !!!
It may also be worth observing that rugby players do it with odd shaped balls..... (I saw that on a sticker on a rear car window, so it must be true).

Point taken. I shall use a better example next time. It's just that I recently saw a documentary about pétanque and boules was at the back of my head.

J

jgm63

Visionary
Oct 28, 2019
Point taken. I shall use a better example next time. It's just that I recently saw a documentary about pétanque and boules was at the back of my head.
Oh, no, please don't interpret my post in any way.
I was just having a little fun...
Please ignore me : ¬ )

Reactions: Epsilon0
E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
Oh, no, please don't interpret my post in any way.
I was just having a little fun...
Please ignore me : ¬ )

You are right because referring to heavy balls in a forum that is known for its predilection for derailing threads is asking for trouble... :smiling:

Fun is nice. I love having fun. It's my favourite thing in the universe. Apart from boules.

Reactions: GoodPersonEffed