Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
First things first I'm not judging anyone for their choice(s). I'd like a civil discussion on the topic at hand and nothing more or less.

I've seen a huge influx of new members using their personal pictures as their avatars. At one point it was rather rare and people would routinely advise against it.

I'm curious as to why this is becoming more common place. I'd love to hear the reasoning behind it if there is any. Is it a cry for help, a current trend, a fuck you to the system, or maybe none of the above?

• Hugs
Reactions: TheHatedOne, Quarky00, Broken Chimera and 12 others
nitrogen

nitrogen

Schrödinger's cat
Nov 5, 2019
I notice that, too. Honestly, most look weird & creepy, come off as having a poor sense of boundary. I personally believe they'd get more replies and reactions if they didn't use their personal pictures.

They might think this forum is a social media like Facebook. Most people actually use real names and personal pictures on their FB profiles.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Yomyom, Pryras, Klee and 2 others
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
I notice that, too. Honestly, most look weird & creepy. I personally believe they'd get more replies and reactions if they didn't use their personal pictures.

They might think this forum is like Facebook, both are social media. Most people actually use real names and personal pictures on their FB profiles.
Loving the new avatar and tagline. :smiling:

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Brick In The Wall, Epsilon0 and nitrogen
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
Loving the new avatar and tagline. :smiling:
Keep to the topic at hand potato man! We've seen you twerkin that potato ass all over this forum! :pfff:

I notice that, too. Honestly, most look weird & offputting. I personally believe they'd get more replies and reactions if they didn't use their personal pictures.

They might think this forum is a social media like Facebook. Most people actually use real names and personal pictures on their FB profiles.
I figured it was something along the lines of social media bleeding into here. This place may be an open forum but for many obvious reasons it's ill advised to share too much about ones self.

I'd still love to hear from any members who use their actual names or pictures for their account.

Last edited:
Reactions: peacefully31425, BlackPoppet and nitrogen
M

mediocre

trapped here
Nov 9, 2019
I don't believe a lot of those pictures are real because I don't believe somebody would post a real picture of themselves on a forum like this. Most people aren't stupid. Plus I've seen some of people that are quite good looking and it looks like an Instagram picture or something..

Reactions: BabyYoda, strand, Brick In The Wall and 1 other person
Squiddy

Squiddy

Here Lies My Hopes And Dreams
Sep 4, 2019
I've noticed it too myself and idk why

Reactions: BabyYoda, BlackPoppet and Brick In The Wall
Klee

Klee

Never play cards with a magician.
Apr 19, 2020
I'm interested to know about this too - do the real picture users just not care if their real life people know they're here?
Mine is Kate Beckett from Castle.. a great detective.

• Love
Reactions: BlackPoppet, Brick In The Wall and _Minsk
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
I'm interested to know about this too - do the real picture users just not care if their real life people know they're here?
Mine is Kate Beckett from Castle.. a great detective.
An avatar like yours is usually easy to distinguish as a character from a show or movie. It does give some insight into you as a person though, as to what you like or enjoy :sunglasses:

I don't believe a lot of those pictures are real because I don't believe somebody would post a real picture of themselves on a forum like this. Most people aren't stupid. Plus I've seen some of people that are quite good looking and it looks like an Instagram picture or something..
I'd be inclined to agree if not for many of them straight admitting that it's them. I suppose it's only anecdotal at best though.

Reactions: Klee and mediocre
Lorntroubles

Lorntroubles

Photography by Haris Nukem.
Jan 19, 2020
Having an avatar with something that relates to you is more interesting anyways like a hobby, artist, or image you like. This ain't Vanitybook!

Reactions: Brick In The Wall
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
This is all just a sideways dig at the fact I look like a potato, isn't it? Go on, admit it. :ohh::shy::blarg:

• Hugs
K

KiraLittleOwl

Lost in transition
Jan 25, 2019
I don't live in the US or UK where people can report and get you sectioned.

• Love
Reactions: Quarky00, Fragile, Yomyom and 1 other person
K-O

K-O

FU(KOFFEE
Apr 16, 2020
Yeah i actually find it interesting and arousing.. in a Snuff kinda way.. uhh... hhmm... (don't judge..) x
then again- this is my first 'social media' experience, after getting the boot from a mental health forum a attended for a v short period..

Last edited:
  • Love
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
I don't live in the US or UK where people can report and get you sectioned.
The first response from someone that pertains to the subject matter, I respect your fortitude!
Yeah i actually find it interesting and arousing.. in a Snuff kinda way.. uhh... hhmm... (don't judge..) x
then again- this is my first 'social media' experience, after getting the boot from a mental health forum a attended for a v short period..
K-O I saw your picture in the post a picture of how you feel thread. That fucking birds nest is epic and I have mad love and respect for you! Don't ever change who you are!

• Love
Reactions: K-O
Pryras

Pryras

Last hope
Feb 11, 2020
To each their own I wouldn't as a display picture but I have shared my contact info privately before to keep in touch with certain users (I trust them and we're in recovering) Have to be careful of course bc there are some f'd up people out there. I wasn't as concerned of privacy initially since I wasn't planning on existing for this long but I'm more wary now.

Plus I'm sure many of the personal photos that are being used aren't of themselves. you don't know who's picture it is. A month ago I saw a user with a fairly popular influencers selfie as their display picture, so unless I know you personally I don't trust it.

• Love
Reactions: Myforevercharlie, GoodPersonEffed and Brick In The Wall
K-O

K-O

FU(KOFFEE
Apr 16, 2020
The first response from someone that pertains to the subject matter, I respect your fortitude!

K-O I saw your picture in the post a picture of how you feel thread. That fucking birds nest is epic and I have mad love and respect for you! Don't ever change who you are!
Oi! stay on the fuckin topic u wall humper!! ffs..

• Love
Reactions: Deleted member 1465 and Brick In The Wall
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
Oi! stay on the fuckin topic u wall humper!! ffs..
In a way it is. You posted some seriously cool photos of yourself. What can I say though? People who live like me, on the edge of society, fascinate me.

• Love
Reactions: K-O
a.n.kirillov

a.n.kirillov

velle non discitur
Nov 17, 2019
I had mine shortly as a fuck you to the system.

• Love
K-O

K-O

FU(KOFFEE
Apr 16, 2020
In a way it is. You posted some seriously cool photos of yourself. What can I say though? People who live like me, on the edge of society, fascinate me.
Dont go breaking my heart

• Hugs
a.n.kirillov

a.n.kirillov

velle non discitur
Nov 17, 2019
Stupid though. Makes no sense because it only helps the enemy. Anonymity is our weapon.

• Love
Reactions: K-O and Brick In The Wall
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
Stupid though. Makes no sense because it only helps the enemy. Anonymity is our weapon.
This is true and the partial reason as to why I created this thread. The subject matter is fascinating to me nonetheless. This website is somewhere between the normal web and the dark web, a sort of gray area.

a.n.kirillov

a.n.kirillov

velle non discitur
Nov 17, 2019
Dang I didn't see that I remember you as the lynx though or bobcat?
Yes, that was me. I am a lynx who was bred in a Chinese laboratory to serve as a spy against political enemies.

Nah I had my face on here with a blacked out eye section. :ahhha:

• Hugs
Reactions: Brick In The Wall and Pryras
BPD Barbie

BPD Barbie

Visionary
Dec 1, 2019
Guilty! Ok so for a long time I used anime avatars and people were always saying how cute they were and happy to see them around. At this point was where I was in the deepest depression of my life and didn't want anything identifying me to the outside world. Things have now changed and I'm not ashamed to be found using this site. Whenever I'm going on hiatus I change it back to an anime one, but other than that it's just me.

• Love
peacefully31425

peacefully31425

Dirtbag
Aug 28, 2018
You're right, I shouldn't be using an actually picture of myself. I'll fix it asap.

• Hugs
Myforevercharlie

Myforevercharlie

Global Mod
Feb 13, 2020
I wouldn't use it as an avatar, but if someone wants to know what i look like, i don't have a problem with that

• Hugs