whatevs

whatevs

Mining for copium in the weirdest places.
Jan 15, 2022
I experienced some of what is to go to an intensive work with random people (normies). Be it because I have unrefreshing sleep and feel cranky and slow as a result every day, or because I have been semi-NEET for many years, I found the idea of going there, exert yourself and deal with despicable people in exchange of money I have no ambitions to spend of completely Kafkaesque.

I realized that if you have nothing going on in your life outside of some solitary coping strategies the normalized idea of stressing yourself and pretending with strangers for half of the day in exchange of money makes no sense.

People work because they do something they like with the money, they 'go out to drink or dine', they 'do things with friends, like trips', they 'move out of their parents house with their girlfriend', they 'surf or do some other sport', they 'buy a more expensive gaming PC'. Basically, people work because they enjoy life. Work is pretty gruelling, so you need to have something in return, and just the money without having a life doesn't work, money is to finance your happiness, but you need that potential happiness in the first place. Nothing makes me really happy, and only feeling rested and energetic would guarantee a change in that.

Many times, before the internship, I realized that the meager sums I accumulated in an earlier job with a fellow conspiracy realist tended to just sit idly in the drawer. I genuinely wanted nothing and had nothing to use the money with. The only reason I went there was to have conversations with my boss, which was like a semi-friend.

So to me, the chronically ill guy trying to cope with his chronic fatigue and malaise reading or masturbating and that is seriously doubting the convenience of existing , the notion of adding further anxiety to my life so that I get paid is lunacy. I cannot probably work even if I wanted as I am either depressed or bitter and people loathe that, they want 'high energy' and sense of humor.

I need to have some quality of life before working. The argument can be that by working you can get better mental health, but I didn't. It distracted me but also faced me every day with how abnormal I am, as I had to deal with people I would normally avoid. It increased my sense of isolation.

Reactions: FinishingLine, Hollowman, MountainMonkey and 10 others
Cosmic dust

Cosmic dust

Among the stars
Feb 28, 2022
I had this "Kafkaesque" feeling on my first job, I had been a neet for around a year after highschool and I never left my house during that time, I had trouble even talking to people, dealing with normies was very hard and sometimes I had this feeling of being in an alien and insane reality.

After some time I simply got used to working, I moved to a better job and got a "whatever it takes" mindset, even living with my parents, I started to see work as something I could not avoid and just had to deal with. The society we live in is far from perfect, it even looks dystopian at times, but life is hard and sometimes there is somethings we just need to do, like washing the dishes. I wanted to feel more like an adult, to go out and do something, to earn my own money and not look so dependent on my parents, I felt like I really needed that.

I disagree a bit with needing to have quality of life before working, because sometimes having a good job can be beneficial for a good quality of life, we can feel useful, learn new things and interact with people. Its all relative. I suppose it must wonderful to be a neet if you already have a wonderful quality of life with all the money to back it up, but for someone like me, that would never leave the house otherwise and didn't had a very rich, nor the most warm and functional family, that was far from the most healthy option. Of course, I say a good job, because there are too many jobs that are just too much stress, there is also some horrible people and places out there that can bring even the person with the most quality of life to suffer.

• Informative
Reactions: whatevs
whatevs

whatevs

Jan 15, 2022
I had this "Kafkaesque" feeling on my first job, I had been a neet for around a year after highschool and I never left my house during that time, I had trouble even talking to people, dealing with normies was very hard and sometimes I had this feeling of being in an alien and insane reality.

After some time I simply got used to working, I moved to a better job and got a "whatever it takes" mindset, even living with my parents, I started to see work as something I could not avoid and just had to deal with. The society we live in is far from perfect, it even looks dystopian at times, but life is hard and sometimes there is somethings we just need to do, like washing the dishes. I wanted to feel more like an adult, to go out and do something, to earn my own money and not look so dependent on my parents, I felt like I really needed that.

I disagree a bit with needing to have quality of life before working, because sometimes having a good job can be beneficial for a good quality of life, we can feel useful, learn new things and interact with people. Its all relative. I suppose it must wonderful to be a neet if you already have a wonderful quality of life with all the money to back it up, but for someone like me, that would never leave the house otherwise and didn't had a very rich, nor the most warm and functional family, that was far from the most healthy option. Of course, I say a good job, because there are too many jobs that are just too much stress, there is also some horrible people and places out there that can bring even the person with the most quality of life to suffer.
What are you doing now, if you don't mind me asking?

I mean, you're not wrong, we are forced by circumstances to work just as we have to defecate or exercise to not become unsightly, I just feel like the wrong place makes me more suicidal and not less. And I kept asking myself why I am stressing myself for if I have nothing to look forward to.

Cosmic dust

Cosmic dust

Among the stars
Feb 28, 2022
What are you doing now, if you don't mind me asking?

I mean, you're not wrong, we are forced by circumstances to work just as we have to defecate or exercise to not become unsightly, I just feel like the wrong place makes me more suicidal and not less. And I kept asking myself why I am stressing myself for if I have nothing to look forward to.

I am not sure I feel confortable sharing too many especifics of my personal life, I might be a bit paranoid.

I work for the governement, its a generic desk job in a office, mostly administration and management, I have to take care of a bunch of different stuff, from dealing with governement contracts, hired services, buying stuff, to worrying about building maintenance, there is a bit of HR to it even. I applied for a job that only required highschool education and got chosen to a slight better position in management, later.

There is too much work and it never stops, we barely manage to do everything, but my coworkers and my boss are very chill out and nice people, so I don't have any issues there.

I don't know anything about the programming scene, but I heard a few times that it can be very stressful and underappreciated.

Reactions: whatevs
whatevs

whatevs

Jan 15, 2022
I am not sure I feel confortable sharing too many especifics of my personal life, I might be a bit paranoid.

I work for the governement, its a generic desk job in a office, mostly administration and management, I have to take care of a bunch of different stuff, from dealing with governement contracts, hired services, buying stuff, to worrying about building maintenance, there is a bit of HR to it even. I applied for a job that only required highschool education and got chosen to a slight better position in management, later.

There is too much work and it never stops, we barely manage to do everything, but my coworkers and my boss are very chill out and nice people, so I don't have any issues there.

I don't know anything about the programming scene, but I heard a few times that it can be very stressful and underappreciated.
The work was very stressful. I like programming to do my own projects, as work it probably isn't great, there's just demand as a positive.

I've never been a very agile or fast programmer, more of a perfectionist but the biggest problem is lack of rest and being bitter and weird.