TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
I found an article somewhere that stated people who earned less than a certain amount of annual income per year (less than $20K annually) are more likely to CTB. (Source here) While this is true to some degree as poverty and financial security are indeed factors and possible reasons for why one wishes to CTB, there are many successful people (both financially and in other areas in life) who have ended up CTB'ing. It is incredibly ignorant and shallow to claim and profile people who are less economically successful as CTB risks (no surprise as many CTB preventionists and what not always like to profile people by attributing CTB factor/risk towards other factors in one's life, financial stability being one of them) Many of these people are (oftenly celebrities, but not all) and/or very successful individuals who have acquired many things in life and had what was deemed by society to be very successful. Yet, despite their successes, they still end up CTB'ing.

This video by Eye Doubt (at 08:04) explains how irrelevant financial success it is when someone wishes to CTB, and this is just yet another example (out of many) which shows that regardless of financial success or other successes in life, one can still CTB. It is rather arrogant and glib to claim that because one isn't financially well off or successful, then they will likely CTB. Hell, one could have several figures (six figures and even seven figures) in terms of net worth and/or income and still be wanting to CTB.

In fact, I presume that once I CTB, there will certainly be people who lament and/or try to incorrectly attribute my passing due to failures of certain milestones and expectations in life. This cannot be further from the truth, and while I won't deny that financial and economic stability can be factors in whether one CTB's or not, it isn't always the primary, principal/center focus reason for it. Sometimes I wished I was more successful (academically, professionally, and financially in life just so I could serve as an additional counter-example towards the prejudiced view in the world that only those in poverty CTB; as a way to shatter the status quo and prejudiced, biased views.) While I don't consider myself poverty nor homeless level struggling, I can claim that I definitely will not be 'happier' if I had more money and other successes in life. Sure, it would make things enjoyable for a brief, fleeting time, but afterwards the existential dread and other philosophical and personal issues will be enough for me to want to exit suffering nevertheless.

So in conclusion, I'm saying that while financial stability and success is a factor in whether one CTB's or not, it shouldn't be the sole reason nor should people just ignorantly claim that "well he/she is struggling financially so he/she CTB'd because of money! If he/she had more money he/she wouldn't CTB!" This isn't to say that financial reasons aren't valid reasons (any or all reasons are valid for CTB, or even lack thereof), but it's just an ignorant and shallow claim to assert that if someone had more financial stability and success, they would choose to live.

Reactions: Prime0, Sweet Tart, Forever Sleep and 1 other person
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
Just a little bump on this topic as I think SaSu has been on and off lately, hard to access during the day. Anyways I was going to add another point is that many pro-lifers keep trying to scope out risks and use unrelated factors to profile people who are at risk, while failing to address the reasons (not just limited to financial and economic ones) of why people are going to CTB. This doesn't help the situation but instead makes people just try to hide under the radar and continue to suffer. Additionally, by throwing diagnosis and labels (aka pathologizing certain reactions to stimuli (the world itself) to events) on someone doesn't help their root problems and only degrades them further, but that's another topic altogether.

Reactions: Sweet Tart