howcanigo

howcanigo

another day without saying what i want to say?
Sep 9, 2023
i have been obsessed with hanging ever since i was fairly young. its an image i can practically never get out of my head. i learned about hanging as a method for ending a life (yourself or another like in the case of death penalty) in movies i saw. i can't quite remember the first film/show i saw it in but ever since then it hasn't been out of my mind.

i tried to hang myself for the first time when i was 11, clumsily with some thick, shoe lace like, ribbon from my ceiling fan. using my bed as a jumping off point. did not tie it right and it was not an ideal material, of course, as i am typing now lol. blamed the big 'scratch' on my neck on the cat and no one questioned further, made me know that hiding how suicidal i am is not too difficult. it burned like hell when i got down, i was kind of delirious afterwards. it might be my only true memory from that age.

i think my ocd and autism would never allow me to not be suicidal. anytime i get a relatively 'okay' period in life, when it ends, by chemical shift or by shit situations or reminders of how terrible i am or how terrible life is, the image of me hanging or other people hanging immediately enters my mind. whenever its of me, i feel immediate relief, so my brain dwells on it more. everytime it comes back, i just want to ctb more. it seems like it only builds up too. if 11 year old me knew what was coming, she would've decided to get better rope and learn how to tie it.

i don't know if i could ever choose another method, it feels so perfect. maybe i'd debate jumping or guns if it were easier for me.

i wish i could talk about hanging with someone irl without it seeming like a major red flag, which is why im here lolol. i suppose it's a 'hyperfixation' of mine. although i wish i didn't think about it for hours in a day, at least its a reliable comfort. all of this will end one day, and i can speed up the process if i work at it. and no one would really stop me as i do well enough hiding it.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Sannti, kunikuzushi and undecided
nicotine_goblin

nicotine_goblin

Student
Aug 28, 2023
I can relate to that somewhat, since I started considering hanging after a few failed attempts via other methods I just keep thinking about it. The process, how it's gonna feel, how my body is gonna look etc. it's somewhat of a coping mechanism for me to ruminate over that, you know like it's almost like a flick of a switch and life is over, pain is over. Can't decide wether to do partial or full suspension yet, since last time I tried I was too scared to kick the chair

• Hugs
Reactions: undecided
howcanigo

howcanigo

another day without saying what i want to say?
Sep 9, 2023
I can relate to that somewhat, since I started considering hanging after a few failed attempts via other methods I just keep thinking about it. The process, how it's gonna feel, how my body is gonna look etc. it's somewhat of a coping mechanism for me to ruminate over that, you know like it's almost like a flick of a switch and life is over, pain is over. Can't decide wether to do partial or full suspension yet, since last time I tried I was too scared to kick the chair
i tried full because it was all i knew, i was kinda copying what i saw in movies and tv shows and thats usually all they show of hangings. really if i had tied it correctly, it would've been all over. i had been up there maybe 5+? seconds and thats all it took to have an injury and trouble breathing (which i have recovered from) but i had pulled myself out of it easily because it wasnt tight around my neck. even after that 5 or so seconds, when i had got down it took me a good 10 minutes to realize what had happened. it felt so quick because it was. it honestly felt almost good? in a self-harm sort of way. talking about it with someone feels like such a relief.

• Hugs
Reactions: undecided
nicotine_goblin

nicotine_goblin

Student
Aug 28, 2023
i tried full because it was all i knew, i was kinda copying what i saw in movies and tv shows and thats usually all they show of hangings. really if i had tied it correctly, it would've been all over. i had been up there maybe 5+? seconds and thats all it took to have an injury and trouble breathing (which i have recovered from) but i had pulled myself out of it easily because it wasnt tight around my neck. even after that 5 or so seconds, when i had got down it took me a good 10 minutes to realize what had happened. it felt so quick because it was. it honestly felt almost good? in a self-harm sort of way. talking about it with someone feels like such a relief.
I think you felt dazed for a while due to shock and circulation being cut off. And yeah I believe most failed full suspension attempts are due to the ligature or whatever it's tied to breaking. Otherwise a very lethal method. The furthest I got with partial was hanging for around 10 seconds but I had the knot and positioning wrong so I just started choking. The pain went away in a couple days but I still got a mark from where the knot caught my skin. And I agree it's great to be able to talk about this kind of stuff

• Love
Reactions: ABSOLUTION and howcanigo
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
It must be a relief to have the option of a method that you feel confident in and comforted by, I wish you the best.

• Hugs
Reactions: howcanigo