Aglossa

Aglossa

Oct 8, 2024
All things in this world are temporary. Humans are complex structures of molecules that form our cells, neurons, organs. Once we "die" these building blocks are decomposed and become parts of other organisms and materials on this planet. Our desires to love, to feel joy, to reproduce, our fears of pain, of death, of being alone - all are instincts hard coded in our biology. What is the purpose of our feelings? Nothing more than survival, really. We are terrified of being hurt even though pain is temporary. We are terrified of dying even though we know we are going to die someday anyway. Yet we are also terrified of staying alive.

One night I despair and find suicide to be the only solution. The next night I chat with a friend and find that leaving them behind would be too cruel. Then, the next night I feel like nothing in life matters anyway. My feeling are states that are constantly passing through in waves and evolving, never staying permanent. Really, we humans are really just fighting our instincts constantly.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: NumbItAll, Forever Sleep, LifeQuitter and 1 other person
Aglossa

Aglossa

Oct 8, 2024
Reactions: BoulderSoWhat
BoulderSoWhat

BoulderSoWhat

Student
Aug 29, 2024
Thinking about the universe ending is pretty comforting somehow. Not even the world itself is a permanent thing.
uh oh. we might be in for a bumpy ride...

"According to our standard understanding of black holes, they continue to change long after they should have come to equilibrium. An investigation into why has led researchers to reconsider how things in general evolve — including the universe itself. "No one much thought about this because it's just sort of boring: It looks like equilibrium, and nothing happens," said Brian Swingle(opens a new tab), a physicist at Brandeis University. "But then along came black holes."

...if an equilibrated system looks boring and blah, we're just not looking at it in the right way. The action has moved from quantities that we can see directly to highly delocalized ones that require new measures to track. The favorite measure, at the moment, is known as circuit complexity. The concept originated in computer science and has been appropriated — misappropriated, some have grumbled — to quantify the blossoming patterns in a quantum system. The work is fascinating for the way it brings together multiple areas of science, not just black holes but also quantum chaos, topological phases of matter, cryptography, quantum computers, and the possibility of even more powerful machines.

...So far, all of this concerns black holes. But the black holes really just reveal a more general principle about matter. Gradually emerging from all this work is a picture of the full life cycle of quantum systems — the chaotic ones, which means most of them, including the universe as a whole. According to this picture, they go through five distinct stages.

...The last stage is called recurrence, where the system stumbles back into its original simple condition. For this to happen by accident is highly improbable. But eternity is a long time, so it ultimately does happen, after a period of time that is not merely exponential, but an exponential of an exponential. The whole process then repeats.

In short, quantum systems that reach thermal equilibrium are like the happy couples in romantic comedies. The film typically ends when the couple gets married, as if that were the end of one's love life. In reality, it's just the start."

If the universe wakes me up again after all this, I'm going to be super pissed about it.

• Wow
Reactions: Aglossa
Spreadingmywings

Spreadingmywings

Experienced
May 22, 2019
The fact that molecules formed bobs and vagene is quite insane to me, but needless to say it's remarkable, isn't it

• Yay!
Reactions: NumbItAll and BoulderSoWhat
BoulderSoWhat

BoulderSoWhat

Student
Aug 29, 2024
The fact that molecules formed bobs and vagene is quite insane to me, but needless to say it's remarkable, isn't it
Haha, I think after being alive for a little bit, humans generally have to form the perception that the world around them is normal, mundane even, to keep purselves from going fucking insane.

Oh yeah, completely normal that the (*observable*) universe seemingly began at a very (infinitely?) dense point and has been expanding for billions of year evidently. Have you met a virtual particle recently? Those guys like to just pop in and out of existence all the time. Oh hey, depending on where you are or how fast you're going, time itself dilates, time itself gets very, technically speaking, fucked up.

Think about a pot of boiling water, and how bubbles form on the bottom and percolate up to the top. Not to draw too much comparison to an incomplete analogy, but if i lived in a bubble, and could not see beyond the edges of my bubble, I would have no idea of all the other bubbles in the boiling water around me. So maybe multiverse is just as stupid and boring as a boiling pot of water lol.

This is all normal, absolutely nothing out of the ordinary at all about the universe or existence itself. This definitely isn't some mad fever dream cooked up my the maddest of physics hahaha.

Next time I order a coffee, I'd like some cold quantum foam please, with extra nothing thank you.

Last edited:
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
Not temporary enough for me. I'm hoping to give nature a helping hand.

Reactions: Unknown21
star.trip

star.trip

Oct 6, 2024
Unfortunately nothing is forever. It's hard to let go of things you love because you feel nostalgic and they hurt.
If you think about it, we are born and we die then we are here on earth temporarily. I don't know for what purpose and what it serves us to have consciousness. Every living being comes to this world with a goal: "Survival" and to achieve it, you can do anything (I always think that survival is for professional people who want to achieve it). Everything passes and nothing remains forever.

Reactions: Unknown21