R

rozeske

Maybe I am the problem
Dec 2, 2023
Third day of defrosting chicken and putting it back in the freezer. Hopefully fourth time's a charm for some dumplings. I miss those days full of energy and enthusiasm and not tied down by depression, anxiety and lack of energy & will. Fml!

• Hugs
Reactions: QteStimBnnuy and Angst Filled Fuck Up
Angst Filled Fuck Up

Angst Filled Fuck Up

Visionary
Sep 9, 2018
Come on now, you could've at least called this thread "chicken."

• Yay!
Reactions: 3/4Dead, QteStimBnnuy, Forever Sleep and 1 other person
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
Be careful you don't give yourself food poisoning... isn't that a possibility when you keep thawing and re-freezing meat?

• Wow
Reactions: 3/4Dead, rozeske and Angst Filled Fuck Up
Angst Filled Fuck Up

Angst Filled Fuck Up

Visionary
Sep 9, 2018
Yeah I was gonna say, chicken is especially dicey like that. One time freeze and de-thaw only (assuming it's the same piece of meat). I was once in hospital for 4 days with c. jejuni from undercooked chicken. That shit is no joke.

• Informative
Reactions: rozeske
R

rozeske

Maybe I am the problem
Dec 2, 2023
Be careful you don't give yourself food poisoning... isn't that a possibility when you keep thawing and re-freezing meat?
It is? I figured since it didn't go fully warm it should be fine? Imma look in to it, thanks!

F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
It is? I figured since it didn't go fully warm it should be fine? Imma look in to it, thanks!

Yeah- it's when it becomes warm enough I think for bacteria to start to grow or breed or- whatever they do! You'd think re-freezing it would kill them again but, I'm not sure. Lots of food is labelled with warnings not to re-freeze, so might be best to check. Chances are, it may be fine but I did have food poisoning once. University Halls of Residence- no surprise really and, it was awful!

Angst Filled Fuck Up

Angst Filled Fuck Up

Visionary
Sep 9, 2018
If it's raw, it can only be at room temperature for 2 hours max before cooking. If you've thawed and re-frozen it several times then it's likely been out for longer than that in total, I would assume.

There is some grace period if it stayed pretty cold or still has ice crystals on it, but it's not something to play around with.

R

rozeske

Maybe I am the problem
Dec 2, 2023
According to the experts at the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), you can safely refreeze chicken as long as it has been thawed properly. Problem is I defrosted is on the kitchen countertop which turns out isn't among the "proper ways". It might be "ok" as it was still hard to the touch hence cold enough but I may have ruined my chicken for good, ig we'll see :)

• Love
Reactions: Angst Filled Fuck Up
Angst Filled Fuck Up

Angst Filled Fuck Up

Visionary
Sep 9, 2018
I would definitely trust some guy on a message board over the USDA, but that's just me. Also, at this point I will totally just buy you a chicken dinner out somewhere. Depression's a bitch and you're cool in my book.

• Hugs
R

rozeske

Maybe I am the problem
Dec 2, 2023
Really? Ig the US part of it mad me feel safe :) but all the other sources said the same thing. I would throw that chicken out the door for that offer in a minute! Sadly I can't afford to waste it. It should be fine don't worry, I'll make sure to cook it well.

Angst Filled Fuck Up

Angst Filled Fuck Up

Visionary
Sep 9, 2018
Really? Ig the US part of it mad me feel safe :) but all the other sources said the same thing. I would throw that chicken out the door for that offer in a minute! Sadly I can't afford to waste it. It should be fine don't worry, I'll make sure to cook it well.

I was being sarcastic. But I do err on the side of caution what with my chicken/hospital experience. As long as the meat itself hasn't been at room temp for many hours and you cook it well I'm sure it's fine.

R

rozeske

Maybe I am the problem
Dec 2, 2023
I was being sarcastic. But I do err on the side of caution what with my chicken/hospital experience. As long as the meat itself hasn't been at room temp for many hours and you cook it well I'm sure it's fine.
Yes, that's what I'm counting on, it hasn't come to room temp and I'll definitely cook it well. Thanks for the heads up!

• Love
AbusedInnocent

AbusedInnocent

Enemy brain ain't cooperating
Apr 5, 2024
That's an interesting way to say you plan to CTB by food poisoning.

Plentiful_Despair

Plentiful_Despair

Experienced
Aug 23, 2024
Chicken

Reactions: LifeQuitter
locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
It's believe it's safer to submerge the frozen chicken in water when defrosting outside the refrigerator.

• Informative
Angst Filled Fuck Up

Angst Filled Fuck Up

Visionary
Sep 9, 2018
I hope this thread never dies. The poultry struggle is real.

0fac85ef4e7d5c41951af7de21943e12

• Yay!
Reactions: LifeQuitter and rozeske