lxci

lxci

Life lover
Sep 9, 2024
Thoughts on this video? My personal opinion is that it misrepresents the goal of SS. However, I do agree an echochamber is extremely damaging, and SS does have the potential to be that for people. I'm pro free speech, not pro echo chamber. But I don't think the mods of SS censor disagreements (people discouraging CTB) and seem to genuinely just be pro free speech (in my experience at least.)

Last edited:
Reactions: ijustwishtodie and Forever Sleep
futurebuscatcher

futurebuscatcher

Cat Connoisseur
Sep 15, 2024
Ah I've seen this.

I don't have much to say about it, or answer your prompt– but this was ironically how I found about this site and have had support here ever since
Ah I've sent this.

I don't have much to say about it, or answer your prompt– but this was ironically how I found about this site ans have had support here ever since
Actually I just not noticed the new edits in the comments for his video. The direct quote"

"The second common comment revolves around the concept of *choice*. When putting this video together, I decided not touch on that topic because, again, I think it is besides the point. I am arguing about criminal/ toxic behaviour of this specific site and pointing out its misbehaviour. By denouncing it, I am not making any wider point, on way or another, about the ethics of choice. This video is about coercion, not about choice."

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: lxci
lxci

lxci

Life lover
Sep 9, 2024
Ah I've seen this.

I don't have much to say about it, or answer your prompt– but this was ironically how I found about this site and have had support here ever since
It's how I found out about the site too lmao
Actually I just not noticed the new edits in the comments for his video. The direct quote"

"The second common comment revolves around the concept of *choice*. When putting this video together, I decided not touch on that topic because, again, I think it is besides the point. I am arguing about criminal/ toxic behaviour of this specific site and pointing out its misbehaviour. By denouncing it, I am not making any wider point, on way or another, about the ethics of choice. This video is about coercion, not about choice."
He completely misrepresents how the site actually functions. I have yet to see someone actively encourage CTB on here. Once again though, I'm not dismissing the fact that it could have the potential to be an echochamber for someone in a state of crisis; I think that's his only valid point.

Last edited:
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
Is it the Tantacrul video again? I don't want to give him another 'click'. I'm guessing you weren't on the forum when he became a member- briefly in response to the suicide of a young member? I believe their name was 'Spentstardust'. Honestly, I didn't watch the whole thing when it came out and haven't since because I think it would really annoy me.

I would agree with the 'echo chamber' criticism often levelled at this place but I'd question just how many members are so vulnerable and gullible that they aren't aware of how exterior media influences them.

I've known plenty of members either move over in to the recovery section or, leave the forum entirely because they felt they wanted to give recovery a proper shot and that the negativity here may hold them back. Very few members seem to leave with hostility towards this place or its members though- I've found. I find this kind of criticism pretty patronising to be honest because it assumes we are either mindless followers of a death cult or maybe worse- leaders of a death cult!

I'd argue that the circumstances are the reverse of what is (perhaps) being argued here. People don't just stumble on this place. Or at least- they didn't before people started making YouTube videos about it! They often find it because they are researching methods for suicide- that's actively suicidal. They come here very likely with preconceived ideas on whether suicide is something they would consider doing already. Beyond that, admittedly, it's probably not going to make them feel all that positive about life but, logically speaking- it isn't coercion if someone wanted to do it to begin with!

I think the coercion argument is too extreme. What we don't tend to do- which probably annoys him, his parents (who I believe are in the psychiatry field) and all pro-lifers is coerce people in to living- with ridicilulous platitudes. I think it's too much to expect people who are struggling themselves to convince others how great life is and they musn't even consider suicide. I'm actually more impressed- considering the circumstances, how cautious people are. I'd actually make the argument that- when members are clearly unsure on CTB, more often than not, people actually point them towards recovery. Plus, it's utterly hypocritical for us to insist others hang on if we don't intend to ourselves.

I'd also point out that by now, I reckon he's made literally 1000's of people- many of them youngsters, even minors aware of this site- who may not have been before. For some time, I don't think he even age restricted the video. If he truly thought this site was that dangerous- there's no way he should have done that! It was/is massively irresponsible to my mind.

I strongly feel like these sorts of places ought to be found 'organically' by people. As in- when they have made that decision themselves that they want to consider suicide. Warning people and especially children about some dangerous sounding website that deals with the greatest taboos in life is going to intrigue them! Veiling it with weak pseudonyms will do nothing to put people off. I expect they can work it out within a few seconds by now on Google.

I think most longer term members here will agree that- since the posting of that video, the forum has changed with a massive influx of very young people. Our poor mods have probably felt overwhelmed trying to keep minors out. Plus, people who are just plain curious have been joining- which isn't exactly wrong but, I can't say what impact it might have on them. I think it's incredibly ironic that he made the video in response/criticism over the death of a young person and yet, he's probably led more young people to the site than anyone else!