TheGoodGuy

TheGoodGuy

Visionary
Aug 27, 2018
It´s pretty thin 6mm polypropylene and can stand a maximum weight of 65kg I weigh 55kg and it´s meant for partial hanging.

Does the slipknot look fine?
Also I should have the knot behind my left ear right, and then put all my weight down at once instead of gradually?

52536776 1973292042966011 4376328253057531904 n 52702637 468468277026157 995057963007737856 n 52779906 2052698404812620 4115751771165425664 n

Reactions: Mylifeispointless, Lifeisatrap and lemmeeleev
E

essbet

Feb 7, 2019
Hello again!

To test: When you pull on the bottom of the loop after suspending the rope from your fixture point, does it tighten (it should)? Can it be undone/loosened from pulling on the bottom of the loop (It shouldn't)? That's really the only part that matters. I usually do 3-4 loops around my slipknot as it seems more secure (see https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/...gC1OgOWjRcqzLfblHweF9vlzFK3xUsKQeaCoGp_Pn9xkM), looks like you only do one ?

If I were you I'd use a rope that's less likely to compress which makes the slip knot more slippy. You don't want the knot to just tighten into itself instead of sliding down. But you'll be able to tell by doing the tests above.

Also 65kg might not account for the extra tensile force suspension will generate. Unless you're absolutely sure a good part of your body weight will be on the ground/otherwise supported, I'd get something a bit stronger.

Reactions: Xraydav, meowcat, goxua and 2 others
TheGoodGuy

TheGoodGuy

Visionary
Aug 27, 2018
Hello again!

To test: When you pull on the bottom of the loop after suspending the rope from your fixture point, does it tighten (it should)? Can it be undone/loosened from pulling on the bottom of the loop (It shouldn't)? That's really the only part that matters. I usually do 3-4 loops around my slipknot as it seems more secure (see https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/...gC1OgOWjRcqzLfblHweF9vlzFK3xUsKQeaCoGp_Pn9xkM), looks like you only do one ?

If I were you I'd use a rope that's less likely to compress which makes the slip knot more slippy. You don't want the knot to just tighten into itself instead of sliding down. But you'll be able to tell by doing the tests above.

Also 65kg might not account for the extra tensile force suspension will generate. Unless you're absolutely sure a good part of your body weight will be on the ground/otherwise supported, I'd get something a bit stronger.
Thanks for the answer but the picture you show just looks like a noose knot a slipknot.

Could you or anyone else show a closeup picture of their slipknot?

Last edited:
felix

felix

Experienced
Jan 25, 2019
Looks like a good slipknot. When I had a rope like that it stretched a lot for me. I'd test it by standing with foot in knot with a boot or shoe. If it was me I wouldn't set weight down hard like that. I did that and my neck hurt in the back afterwards. Under left ear should be best.

Last edited:
E

essbet

Feb 7, 2019
Huh, TIL: it seems "slip knot" has a couple of different meanings as proved by a google image search. I always used my noose-looking one for jewelry so just assumed it was the same for, uh, other stuff.

Either way the method to test it should be the same. Hang it up somewhere and try to strangle something inanimate with it; jerk it around like crazy; hold yourself up from the base of the loop; etc.

What's your source for your knot? Looks way simpler than mine.

Reactions: Sanguinius
felix

felix

Experienced
Jan 25, 2019
Huh, TIL: it seems "slip knot" has a couple of different meanings as proved by a google image search. I always used my noose-looking one for jewelry so just assumed it was the same for, uh, other stuff.

Either way the method to test it should be the same. Hang it up somewhere and try to strangle something inanimate with it; jerk it around like crazy; hold yourself up from the base of the loop; etc.

What's your source for your knot? Looks way simpler than mine.
I suppose either one could work. I've seen both and they both seem to tighten very easily which I what we want