Darkover

Darkover

Angelic
Jul 29, 2021
Procreation, from my standpoint, is seen as not only morally wrong but an act of cruelty

life is inherently torturous, and to bring someone into existence is to force them into a world of unavoidable suffering, exploitation, and eventual death.

Denied Consent: Since no one can consent to being born, the decision to procreate involves making a significant life-altering choice for someone else without their input. i see this as a profound moral violation, as it imposes existence upon someone who had no say in the matter.

Enslavement: Life requires survival, which typically involves work. In my view, this makes existence a kind of forced labor, where individuals are born into a system of economic and social pressures that compel them to work just to maintain their existence.

Selfishness: i likely see procreation as an act driven by personal desires—whether for companionship, legacy, or societal expectations—rather than out of genuine concern for the well-being of the future person. In this sense, having a child becomes an inherently self-centered act.

Condemned to Death: Everyone who is born will eventually die, and by giving birth, one creates a new death that would not have existed otherwise. This act is viewed as a moral failure, as it guarantees the inevitability of suffering and death for another human being.

Torture: Life is filled with pain, hardship, and often trauma. Bringing someone into this world exposes them to potential suffering, which you consider a form of torture.

the option of adoption is available to people who really want children. Save a life, don't create more suffering and start a life.

Last edited:
Reactions: NoPoint2Life, LifeQuitter and Forever Sleep
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
Do you suppose the majority of people who have children enjoy life though? In which case, they simply haven't experienced enough of the suffering to realise it can be that bad.

I do agree though. I see it as a largely selfish, unplanned act. Almost like- ok- these terrible things could (very well) happen. My child could develop some awful illness, they could be bullied, they may fail terribly in life and be miserable, they could even be raped. But- let's cross those bridges if we come to them. I wonder if business decisions are made like that. Let's just embark on this potentially dangerous venture and just wing it!

I also think people have children as an emotional crutch. To give their own lives meaning. To feel needed and loved. I think people view that as natural but I think it can be pretty disturbing to be honest. That's a whole independent life being created to effectively supplement another slightly emotionally unstable life. In extreme cases, the children end up having to parent their parents. That doesn't seem fair.

Still, I imagine natilism will always be the status quo. Perhaps antinatilism is more accepted now. Along with other freedoms to choose. It largely depends on your view of life though and plenty of people still seem to see it as good enough to create more of it. I doubt anyone will change their minds- unless their own circumstances do. The same as- it would probably be difficult to persuade many members here that life is all sunshine and roses.

Reactions: NoPoint2Life and Darkover