Mustkeyknow

Mustkeyknow

Experienced
Feb 8, 2020
It's not a done deal but maybe i could get a better job in a different city, my therapist says I shouldn't do it because that would be like running away from my problems but sometimes it feels like I have nothing here so who cares starting over right? Would that be advisable while having CtB thoughts? I mean I have my parents here and my GF and some friends but I'm alone must of the time. Maybe I can meet other people better friends in a new city who knows if it doesn't work I can always come back right? I know it's like running away from my problems but that's exactly what I'm doing running way from them. I wouldn't completely abandon therapy or my meds thought I mean there are psychiatrists everywhere. Am I just fooling myself? Sometimes I feel like my therapist implies my life is ruined and I just cant accept it.

Sorry for the long rant I'm v emotional right now and excuse my English, it's not my first language.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: NarcissusPoeticus and Sensei
M

michaelbrownlee

Mar 1, 2020
I did the same thing and it doesn't change who I am or what I do. I'm alone almost all the time just watching movies and contemplating suicide. But you're not me, maybe running away from your problems would help

• Aww..
Reactions: Mustkeyknow
Grandexit

Grandexit

Experienced
Dec 4, 2019
Someone once said wherever you go, there you are.

My family moved to the other side of the world. A lot of the unresolved shit from back there still haunts us to this day, decades later.

Years ago, I moved halfway across the country from my family. I'm still miserable. Now someone will just have to fly to this location to liquidate my house after I'm gone. I failed to make my life better at any location.

Maybe you're better at living life than I am.

• Aww..
Reactions: Mustkeyknow
Whale_bones

Whale_bones

Experienced
Feb 11, 2020
A fresh start can absolutely be helpful for some. However, as others have mentioned, moving to a different location won't necessarily solve your problems. In my opinion, it really depends on your financial situation; if you know you'll be able to come back if it doesn't work out, then go for it! A fresh start could be just what you need to give you a new perspective, and as long as you continue with therapy and medication, you could begin creating a life worth living. However, if you have a stable home now that would be lost if you moved, and you wouldn't have the finances to move back, it's not worth taking that kind of risk. You can't bet everything on a new location. So I believe it completely depends on whether you'd be able to come back or not.

Mustkeyknow

Mustkeyknow

Experienced
Feb 8, 2020
A fresh start can absolutely be helpful for some. However, as others have mentioned, moving to a different location won't necessarily solve your problems. In my opinion, it really depends on your financial situation; if you know you'll be able to come back if it doesn't work out, then go for it! A fresh start could be just what you need to give you a new perspective, and as long as you continue with therapy and medication, you could begin creating a life worth living. However, if you have a stable home now that would be lost if you moved, and you wouldn't have the finances to move back, it's not worth taking that kind of risk. You can't bet everything on a new location. So I believe it completely depends on whether you'd be able to come back or not.
I can always come back to my parents house which is where I'm living right now, moving would mean me being financially independent, but these answers make me question my decision. Maybe it's not that much of a great idea after all.

Pryras

Pryras

Last hope
Feb 11, 2020
i have a friend who did this and she is happy and content, however it won't work for everyone (speaking for myself)

For myself, my environment doesn't influence my CTB thoughts, for others it does. Giving it a try won't hurt as it has helped others. Personally, doesn't matter where I am I will still carry the thoughts with me. New environment, same me.

Reactions: NarcissusPoeticus and Mustkeyknow
Whale_bones

Whale_bones

Experienced
Feb 11, 2020
I can always come back to my parents house which is where I'm living right now, moving would mean me being financially independent, but these answers make me question my decision. Maybe it's not that much of a great idea after all.
You're the only one who can know if it's a good idea for you. Remember that people are just speaking on their own experiences, and that doesn't at all mean your experience will be the same. People here are already struggling so you're way more likely to hear bad experiences than good ones. If you asked this question on a general life advice forum, you'd get plenty of replies from people talking about how a fresh start was a great thing for them.

If you haven't ever lived away from your parents and been on your own, I say DEFINITELY do that before even considering CTB'ing. That's a whole new phase in life and many people (myself included) find it so so much better than living with parents. My situation growing up was awful, but even if you do have a loving and supportive family, being independent will likely give you feelings of strength and pride in yourself.