• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
As you know, I'm moving back to my parents' place at the end of this month. Therefore, I would need to figure out where to store my firearm since I believe my parents don't like firearms in general and especially when they know about my emotional issues. I have considered pawn shops or gun stores to storing my firearm, but I'm not sure about the cost per month for such storage. My firearm costs roughly $200 or so (depending on the current market, but that's how much I bought it for) and while the cost isn't that high, it's the availability of such a weapon in the future as well as having a method ready should things ever go down to shit in the future. I am willing to pay somewhere between $15-$20 per month, but I feel that if I am storing it away for long term, be it a year or two or more), the cost of storage will exceed the actual cost of the firearm itself. Also, with the weapon less accessible but hidden from my parents/family, it is still not within ease of access when shit hits the fan, so I don't want to lose the method itself (I'd feel more desolate and vulnerable, no (easy) way out.).

Alternatively, I have considered just moving it home (quietly) and hiding it in my bedroom closet, but there are risks to that. First off, when I am moving home, my parents are on holiday break, thus they are present, at home the whole time. That would make it more difficult to transport a gun case (into my bedroom) with them being home the whole time. While I could leave the gun case in my trunk of my car, it's winter, so I don't know if that is best for the firearm itself (being in a dry, but cold environment). Even assuming that I am able to transport it into my bedroom and hide it well in my bedroom closet, if at any time my parents decide to do house cleaning or other rearrangements, then it may be unexpectedly discovered, which also goes against the whole intention of hiding said method.

As of now, neither my family, my parents, or anyone IRL knows that I own a firearm and I plan to keep it secret because it would do more harm if they knew that I owned one, especially given my circumstances. So with all that said, which of the options would be the best for me to take? The pawnshop/gunstore or sneak it into my parents' home (and hope they don't find out)? If you recommended the latter, also, could you give me tips and advice on how to do it discreetly, safely, without arousing suspicion?

Reactions: a_strange_day and Circles
snowman626

snowman626

Mage
Jan 28, 2019
can you hide it under your bed? just put it in the center and then surround it with a bunch of random crap like storage containers, shoe boxes, boxes of other stuff, so that people will think you just use that area to store junk and wont bother looking through it.

Reactions: Qdv
TAW122

TAW122

Aug 30, 2018
No space under my bed sadly. I assume you are going with the latter option, which is to sneak it into my parents' house, specifically in my bedroom. The first problem I will run into is after I drive to my parents' place is that I won't be able to bring in the case without running into them (unless they aren't home) and also would have to think about having a large enough container to fit the firearm other than a gun case that is still innocuous to not raise suspicion. I guess I could try to move stuff into my house while they are sleeping but that is tricky because if the car is outside then likely noise would wake them up. Then after that would I be able to worry about hiding it properly (after getting in the house and into my bedroom).

As of now, I have less than 10 days to move out of my current place (already been given several months of notice as well as agreement to move out by/before the last day of December). It is a few hours drive from where I am at to get to my parents' place. Also, given it's near Christmas and the holidays, my parents will always be home during the whole time so I can't just easily bring stuff in without arousing attention.

I don't want to over complicate things, but this is the reality that I am facing when choosing to get the firearm into the house without them knowing about it.

Last edited:
voyager

voyager

Don't you dare go hollow...
Nov 25, 2019
It's a little tricky answering this question without knowing your parents. Are they especially nosy? How much do they respect your privacy? How suspicious are they of you? Could this lead to them going through your things, possibly doing a thorough "cleaning"? And of course, what would in fact happen if they were to find it?

First off, you mentioned a gunstore/pawnshop. So, basically it's legal and you could always get another. Like you said though, it's good to have permanent access, even if it's just for comfort. Which is why I'd kinda fancy the car boot method for now, until you find the right moment to sneak them in. Looking at the megathread, you seem to know a lot about them and while I don't know how harsh winters are at your place, surely they can't just disintegrate like that. Russia would've never won a war if that were so. Well packaged amongst some blankets there shouldn't be a problem, but I'm just guessing, so, you might want to ask this at /k/.

Eventually though, I'd want them by my side and move them to the house, if only for the car not to be stolen with the guns inside. And, yes, that's completely paranoid. Then again, the trunk is locked and it's probably the only place your parents don't have direct access to, so, really what's worse? Surely they wouldn't borrow your car? But if you were to sneak them in at night that's about as suspicious as it gets. So, unless you're a hundred percent sure, there's probably a better way. After all, depending on how the move is going and if anyone helps you, you might be able to carry them in under a sleeping bag, bed sheets, blanket, etc. on the very first day.

Really though, we're probably making this more complicated than it is. I don't even know you parents, but I'm already freaked about getting caught. So, honestly, be cool, check /k/, it's probably gonna be fine and if you do want to move them, wait for them to leave. I'm sure a situation will present itself.

Reactions: TAW122, charlottewilts and NeCkDeEp
A

a_strange_day

Arcanist
Jul 16, 2019
Be creative, there are many places where to hide something. For years I used a speaker to hide something. Anything commonly found in a home can work, a washing machine, a printer etc. Just make sure it still works after :)
Or be old school, get a shovel and bury it somewhere.

TAW122

TAW122

Aug 30, 2018
Thanks for your reply @voyager. To answer your questions, after high school, my parents aren't especially nosy, but if I am away from home, my mom does rearrange my room (for the cats) and just for cleaning. I don't think she goes through every part of my bedroom, especially the closet, but mainly the floor, under the desk. They aren't really suspicious of me, but as I am moving home due to a change in living conditions (had to vacate my current place) and looking for another job (my current job is a temp job that lasted over 6 months and recently concluded), they would at least be keeping some tabs on me and my day to day activitiy. So in short, I don't think they would be snooping around without any reason.

The consequence of them finding out isn't really pretty because they always knew I had emotional issues and stuff. I never mentioned anything about suicide or harm, but let's just say that they don't believe that I am responsible and trustworthy enough to own firearms (despite it being my birthright as an US citizen - just fyi my parents are both 1st generation Asian Americans that immigrated from East Asia and generally anti-gun as far as politics are concerned). I'd imagine it could range from having to relinquish and surrender the firearm, sell it, or end up being kicked out of their home. After all, it is their home so they are within their full rights to dictate what is allowed and what isn't (I'm not going question them either way). The worst case (other than being possibly kicked out) is having to come with an alibi of saying well originally I wanted to shoot guns as a hobby, but I didn't get around yet so I would plan on selling the firearm. If they don't have knowledge of my possession of a firearm, then that can all be avoided.

Yeah I know it's easy to think it's more complicated than it is, but I know my family's situation and without giving too much information on here, I would say that they do still keep a tab on me fairly closely just not as much as when I was a teenager (as I'm an individual adult). Alternatively, I don't want to end up homeless or destitute so I am grateful that they are willing to (temporarily) allow me to move back in until I get back on my feet.

As far as temperature is concerned, I will say that it gets to be freezing at times during the night and sometimes above freezing during the day. I live in NC btw, so winters can be pretty cold depending on the year, but I don't live in the mountains so it is not that cold, but colder than the coast.

I do have some questions though (and it is for people who know a bit more than I do about guns and temperature). Assuming that winters aren't too harsh, but still below freezing at times, would having the firearm (in a container or gun case) within the trunk be ok for a few days? Also, what is /k/ specifically, I am not sure what you mean (you can PM it to me if you don't feel like answering it here).

@a_strange_day Yes, I'm currently thinking of things that I can hide my firearm in and store it in the trunk (afaik it's legal as it is not considered concealed as it is in the trunk, not easily accessible and I'm just going from current apartment/home to parent's home, and IANAL). I just need to find something that will fit and also won't likely raise suspicion.

Reactions: voyager
Jean4

Jean4

Remember. I am ALWAYS right.... until I’m not
Apr 28, 2019
A bank safety deposit box.

TAW122

TAW122

Aug 30, 2018
A bank safety deposit box.
I've checked with my bank in the past (not for firearm storage but other items) and one of their policies forbids storage of firearms and what not. Also, the storage fee is still pricey. Maybe I just need to think of a way to move my firearm to my home without arousing suspicion, be it in a innocuous container or moving it when I have an opening (preferably at night since it's under the cover of darkness -- also my neighborhood is generally safe, it is an middle class neighborhood).

voyager

voyager

Don't you dare go hollow...
Nov 25, 2019
Heya,

/k/ is the weapons board in 4chan. It's perfectly legit. The only reason this is in spoilers is because some of their subforums have been linked to mass shooters, so it's probably best not to pop up in the random google search.

Anyway, they should know this stuff. You don't have to sign up and can ask more or less anonymous. They might just know about the concealment laws in NC, too. So, unless someone here answers your questions, you should then be able to make an informed decision on the trunk issue.

Because from what you wrote that's probably your best bet in regards to your parents. They really shouldn't find out. Which is also why you might want to avoid sneaking them in at night, because you'd have a harder time talking yourself out of it. Although their stance on guns and the fact you own one but haven't tried to hurt yourself should still seem plausible enough. One more thing in regards to the car, could you maybe hide the guns under the backseat or spare tire compartment? I'm a little paranoid about them ever borrowing your car or something, although I do feel they're probably safer there than in your room. What's more, if they were to discover them in the car, you could always tell them it was out of respect that you knew they'd disapprove if you stored them in the house. This should earn you some brownie points.

One last thing on matters "complicated". I didn't mean that I don't understand your predicament in regards to your parents, but rather the fact that we're probably being too paranoid about you getting caught. There's probably a million ways how you could sneak them in without any hassle, say while they're in the shower, shopping, sleeping, under a blanket etc. But cloak and dagger is probably better.

Reactions: color_me_gone, WingedFallen and TAW122
TAW122

TAW122

Aug 30, 2018
Thanks, I think I'll have to wait until there is a perfect moment (an opening) then just quickly and quietly get my firearm into the house and then into concealment in my bedroom's closet (buried with other boxes and other stuff). As far as the night time method, I guess it could work if I bring in other boxes and stuff into the house, this way it would make it seem like I am moving stuff from my vehicle into the house and it would seem less conspicuous.

• Hugs
Reactions: WingedFallen and voyager
L

lymestolemylife

Student
Nov 27, 2019
As you know, I'm moving back to my parents' place at the end of this month. Therefore, I would need to figure out where to store my firearm since I believe my parents don't like firearms in general and especially when they know about my emotional issues. I have considered pawn shops or gun stores to storing my firearm, but I'm not sure about the cost per month for such storage. My firearm costs roughly $200 or so (depending on the current market, but that's how much I bought it for) and while the cost isn't that high, it's the availability of such a weapon in the future as well as having a method ready should things ever go down to shit in the future. I am willing to pay somewhere between $15-$20 per month, but I feel that if I am storing it away for long term, be it a year or two or more), the cost of storage will exceed the actual cost of the firearm itself. Also, with the weapon less accessible but hidden from my parents/family, it is still not within ease of access when shit hits the fan, so I don't want to lose the method itself (I'd feel more desolate and vulnerable, no (easy) way out.).

Alternatively, I have considered just moving it home (quietly) and hiding it in my bedroom closet, but there are risks to that. First off, when I am moving home, my parents are on holiday break, thus they are present, at home the whole time. That would make it more difficult to transport a gun case (into my bedroom) with them being home the whole time. While I could leave the gun case in my trunk of my car, it's winter, so I don't know if that is best for the firearm itself (being in a dry, but cold environment). Even assuming that I am able to transport it into my bedroom and hide it well in my bedroom closet, if at any time my parents decide to do house cleaning or other rearrangements, then it may be unexpectedly discovered, which also goes against the whole intention of hiding said method.

As of now, neither my family, my parents, or anyone IRL knows that I own a firearm and I plan to keep it secret because it would do more harm if they knew that I owned one, especially given my circumstances. So with all that said, which of the options would be the best for me to take? The pawnshop/gunstore or sneak it into my parents' home (and hope they don't find out)? If you recommended the latter, also, could you give me tips and advice on how to do it discreetly, safely, without arousing suspicion?
Bury it in the yard someplace inconspicuous that you can remember.

W

WingedFallen

Dec 21, 2019
From all of my knowledge of firearms your gun will be safe in the trunk for a few days, at least from a temperature perspective. I understand wanting to care for it properly (that's what you're supposed to do!) but most guns are more durable than you'd think, and the cold shouldn't hurt it. I'd be more worried about theft or it becoming damaged in a wreck.

I don't know your parents or your whole history to gauge their reaction, but you could try to sit them down and tell them you have it. You could argue personal protection, the hobby angle, or both. If you don't see that as even a remote option, the closet is probably your best bet, maybe in a case and then cover it with a blanket or something.

TAW122

TAW122

Aug 30, 2018
@WingedFallen I think it would be better for me to not have that conversation because I see more harm than good and given that I am going to be moving back with parents, especially at their home, I want to remain on good terms as much as possible. The worst case (barring getting kicked out) is having to give up the firearm, which then would be when I make concessions into planning on selling it (hasn't been fired yet, and still in relatively new condition, thus it should retain it's value). Thus, I would be better off hiding it and doing ALL I can to avoid such a situation in the first place.

TAW122

TAW122

Aug 30, 2018
Just a little update, I'm in a tough situation in terms of the risk of getting busted for having a firearm (legally acquired and also within my right to own one) under my parents' roof and dealing with the fallout, or getting rid of it before I head back home. Just today, my parents have explicitly stated that while I may move home, there is a catch to it, they told me: it is only a temporary living arrangement (I assume like 3 months or something -- they didn't say exactly how long and when) and don't get too comfortable and mistake it as a long stay.

As a result, this puts a big pressure on me to somehow make it financially. Realistically, knowing how the job market is, from applying to getting an interview, and then starting said job, it is not always an easy one and would likely take more time. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate them allowing me to stay there, but it seems like the situation is more fickle than what I have initially hoped for. Trying to rent an apartment isn't easy either, because you'd have to be financially well off (usually having a job, able to make 3 months of rent, and of course, paying a security deposit (usually equal to the first month's of rent). Then you have utilities (Internet, electricty, water, etc.) and other costs to account for, so it's just not easy to make it unlike what others say it is. I believe that people who have secure jobs and are making it almost take it for granted, making it sound so 'easy'. Though in reality, most people are only a paycheck or a few away from going into a financial crisis (which leads to homelessness - can't afford a place to rent/stay and then not having enough money for food and other necessities).

The thing is that I have nothing that would legally disqualify me from legitimately owning a firearm and while I may buy another firearm in the future, one cannot always know whether the firearm will be available again, let alone if my financial situation warrants it. It is imperative that I have a clean record (no serious misdemeanors, felonies, no involuntary commitments, adjudications of mentally defective, etc.) and never get any red flags for my 2nd amendment rights because this is one of the methods that I hold dear to myself.

I now prioritize guarding my method very closely, especially given the uncertainty of my future and also walking a very fine line here in terms of relations with my parents. I want to coexist peacefully and amiable, yet at the same time, I want to guard my method (so that I have an way out if anything really gets too tough), so I cannot afford to lose it in any sort of way.

I feel that if I ever end up in a situation where I am having to fend for myself (homeless, braving the elements, having to protect myself on the streets, etc.), then I would rather check out on my own terms than to succumb to that fate or any other unpredictable death. As of now, while I may have a bit of stability, it isn't really long term, it is rather short term and not sure what will happen in the coming months.

Last edited:
snowman626

snowman626

Mage
Jan 28, 2019
As a result, this puts a big pressure on me to somehow make it financially. Realistically, knowing how the job market is, from applying to getting an interview, and then starting said job, it is not always an easy one and would likely take more time.

since you have a car, have you thought about doing gig jobs like delivering for Door Dash, Skip The Dishes, Instacart, etc? anyone can sign up and there's no interview or anything, you sign up and you just start working. i see people on youtube saying they make like $3000 a month from this

TAW122

TAW122

Aug 30, 2018
I have thought about it and will be giving it more research before jumping on it.

R

realjunes

Warlock
Oct 1, 2019
I've checked with my bank in the past (not for firearm storage but other items) and one of their policies forbids storage of firearms and what not. Also, the storage fee is still pricey. Maybe I just need to think of a way to move my firearm to my home without arousing suspicion, be it in a innocuous container or moving it when I have an opening (preferably at night since it's under the cover of darkness -- also my neighborhood is generally safe, it is an middle class neighborhood).

I've checked with my bank in the past (not for firearm storage but other items) and one of their policies forbids storage of firearms and what not. Also, the storage fee is still pricey. Maybe I just need to think of a way to move my firearm to my home without arousing suspicion, be it in a innocuous container or moving it when I have an opening (preferably at night since it's under the cover of darkness -- also my neighborhood is generally safe, it is an middle class neighborhood).$5

IJean4 has same idea as I would suggest, a bank safe deposit box. Despite what bank says their policies are, bank deposit boxes all over the US are holding guns, drugs, and anything that will fit. When i go into visit my safe deposit box, I always carry a briefcase or zipped bag, as if I have papers to put in the box. I have NEVER had anyone ask what is in the bag/case, no one would. And they always give you privacy as you put items in and out of the box. You could first put your gun in a brown paper sack, something opaque, so when it goes from bag to box, it is unseen. Make sure you keep the gun UNLOADED at all times, and you can store your bullets in the same box, different bag.
As far as cost, it is very affordable. I have a box that is only $65 for an entire year, $5 per month, and you said you would pay $15-20 month. First, call or stop by the bank and ask the dimensions of the boxes and cost, and determine what size would fit your gun. Then take it in your briefcase and store it and forget it. Nothing is safer for you, under your circumstances.
Also, I have kept an unloaded revolver in my trunk for decades. I wouldn't keep bullets in the gun or trunk, but the gun doesn't deteriorate regardless of temperature. And other posters have suggested where in the trunk you could hide it.
Last, since you have cats, buy two (2) of those large plastic kitty litter containers, and if asked, say they were on sale. Put your gun and bullets in zip lock bags. Pour some loose kitty litter in the container, maybe about 1/3, then put the bagged gun / bullets in the container and fill the rest of it to conceal. When you move, just take the kitty litter box with you. I suggest 2, to make it appear you got them on sale, but also to have a second one available for "use" as kitty litter with the gun container one kept back.

Reactions: TAW122
TAW122

TAW122

Aug 30, 2018
Thanks @realjunes I haven't thought of the kitty litter box idea. I think it is a good inconspicuous container. Also, since I'm moving home, I will have multiple boxes to carry so if I have multiple boxes together and if I time it right I might be able to sneak stuff in without drawing any attention or suspicion. Yes, the gun will be unloaded and bullets and ammo in a separate container, usually away from the gun (for safety reasons too).

I have checked the weather in my area, and it looks like it is cold but not too terribly cold (even late at night), so I suppose if the firearm is in a locked, dry container, then moisture won't accumulate (at least shouldn't). I could have it in the trunk for a night or two (while waiting for the right time to move my stuff into the house.

TAW122

TAW122

Aug 30, 2018
I have made the decision to store it with an FFL. Yes, they would (I think it's required by law, as firearms changing hands between client and FFL is still considered a transaction - unless it's for repair or modification) need to run a BG check when I retrieve it at a later date.

Pros/Advantages
The advantages with that is that no one (except the store people) will know that I possess a firearm and only storing it there (friends, peers, family are none the wiser) and that it is more straightforward and cheaper than renting out storage space (The risk of storage spaces, especially those that aren't well guarded are: that it could be broken into, it could be too hot/too cold (dependent on weather and season) thus possibly hurting the gun itself).

Cons/Disadvantages
The only downsides I see to this are: entrusting my property to a third party, having to run another BG check when I come back to retrieve it, and in the coming future and it is not a long term solution, but rather a short term solution (whenever I move out again).

I suppose this means that in the interim and while I work towards getting back on my feet, financially and moving out, is of course to not get into any trouble. I always stay within the law and also make sure that I don't get anything that could disqualify or prohibit me from legally owning a firearm. Furthermore, as someone who is trying to look for jobs, it is doubly imperative that have a clean record (no mental health related holds, misdemeanors, felonies, or anything that would stain my record/background). While the standards/bar to legally possess a firearm at the federal level (At the federal level it is only required that one is: Not a fugitive from justice, no warrants out for one's arrest, no DV related misdemeanors, no felonies, no illicit drug use (that includes marijuana/cannibis even if legal/decriminalized at the state level), a US citizen, not dishonorably discharged from the military (armed forces), has not renounced US citizenship, not adjudicated mentally defective (involuntary committed by court order), etc.) is lower than that of getting into certain professions, I am also looking to be independent, thus when I am looking for jobs, I also need to remain clean at all times. There are other important reasons to have a squeaky clean record to and that includes travel as well (which I think may have just as strict or more stringent requirements than an NICS bg check).

Last edited:
Reactions: realjunes
R

realjunes

Warlock
Oct 1, 2019
I have made the decision to store it with an FFL. Yes, they would (I think it's required by law, as firearms changing hands between client and FFL is still considered a transaction - unless it's for repair or modification) need to run a BG check when I retrieve it at a later date.

Pros/Advantages
The advantages with that is that no one (except the store people) will know that I possess a firearm and only storing it there (friends, peers, family are none the wiser) and that it is more straightforward and cheaper than renting out storage space (The risk of storage spaces, especially those that aren't well guarded are: that it could be broken into, it could be too hot/too cold (dependent on weather and season) thus possibly hurting the gun itself).

Cons/Disadvantages
The only downsides I see to this are: entrusting my property to a third party, having to run another BG check when I come back to retrieve it, and in the coming future and it is not a long term solution, but rather a short term solution (whenever I move out again).

I suppose this means that in the interim and while I work towards getting back on my feet, financially and moving out, is of course to not get into any trouble. I always stay within the law and also make sure that I don't get anything that could disqualify or prohibit me from legally owning a firearm. Furthermore, as someone who is trying to look for jobs, it is doubly imperative that have a clean record (no mental health related holds, misdemeanors, felonies, or anything that would stain my record/background). While the standards/bar to legally possess a firearm at the federal level (At the federal level it is only required that one is: Not a fugitive from justice, no warrants out for one's arrest, no DV related misdemeanors, no felonies, no illicit drug use (that includes marijuana/cannibis even if legal/decriminalized at the state level), a US citizen, not dishonorably discharged from the military (armed forces), has not renounced US citizenship, not adjudicated mentally defective (involuntary committed by court order), etc.) is lower than that of getting into certain professions, I am also looking to be independent, thus when I am looking for jobs, I also need to remain clean at all times. There are other important reasons to have a squeaky clean record to and that includes travel as well (which I think may have just as strict or more stringent requirements than an NICS bg check).
Okay, I would say you literally made your list of pros and cons, and made an informed reasonable choice of what is best for you. So I in turn wish the best for you, including on the job hunt, and your determination.

Reactions: TAW122
LADY007

LADY007

Specialist
Feb 25, 2020

As far as getting the gun from one place to another invisibly.. I ordered black knit palazzo pants and wore it in an ankle holster.

whatevs

whatevs

Mining for copium in the weirdest places.
Jan 15, 2022
C

Capsicum_Corral

Experienced
Dec 10, 2021
If it's a handgun, get one of those small safes. Not sure what's available for long guns, but it's worth looking into. You really just need a container that locks, and perhaps is disguised as something else.