TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
There are even more misconceptions that I found (maybe they have been discussed or listed before) regarding pro-lifers' understanding on current right to die laws, death with dignity, assisted suicide, and voluntary euthanasia.

Of course, I won't be listing all the most common ones since those have been talked about plenty. Instead I will focus on the less discussed and more specific ones as I believe there are still lots of work to do to bust those myths and correct those misconceptions.

Misconception #1 – Dignitas will accept just about anyone who is terminally/severely ill
Many prolifers and people assume that getting access to the right to die for those who qualify are as easy as applying and then getting accepted if someone has a qualifying condition. This is far from the truth and I will specifically be addressing Dignitas (one of many right to die organizations). In order for someone to qualify for Dignitas in Switzerland, one has to meet the conditions laid out by the organization, which includes being ill enough to qualify (usually terminal illness, or severe chronic illness – though less guaranteed), yet healthy enough to make the trip as well as administer the drug to a peaceful exit. Furthermore, this isn't even accounting for all the red tape, the huge price tag (over $10K, possibly more in present day due to inflation and other costs), and all the steps needed to get there. Also, there is a chance where one could be turned down as well.

Misconception #2 – CTB is easy, lots of people die/CTB each day/month/year!
This couldn't be further from the truth. People who CTB have to overcome their SI (survival instinct), plan ahead, do their homework research, evade interference and intervention, and more WHILE going through all their existing issues. Furthermore, even after having everything ready, prepared ahead of time, there is still the miscellaneous factor that leads to failure. It takes just as much courage (perhaps even more I would argue to die by one's own hands than it does to actually 'live') to CTB as it does to have a life worth living for an individual. While there are many people who CTB each day, month, or year, there are FAR MORE attempts that are unsuccessful and likely lead to further diminished quality of life for the individual as well as permanent injuries. Just because there are people who died accidentally (when they don't want to), doesn't mean that the majority of people can die easily nor would end up in such situations. They are considered 'accidents' rather than deliberate actions.

Misconception #3 – If you are severely crippled, disabled and don't have money, gov't will let you die!
Definitely not entirely true. Sure, maybe in other less developed nations and with poorer quality of healthcare, that may be the case, but certainly not in a first world, Western country, especially in the US. Ever heard of becoming a "ward of the state" or "legal guardianship"? Even if one doesn't have the funds or family members/close people to take care of one, the State essentially assigns someone to them from the State (social workers and other professionals). The State would likely keep one alive, albeit in poor quality of life, but still clinically 'alive' until natural causes. Furthermore, being a ward of the State is not only undignified, one would have even fewer rights than someone who may be in poverty, but on the streets (no offense to destitute and homeless people).

There are likely more misconceptions about right to die laws and CTB itself, but these are just a few major ones that I could think of. If there are more, feel free to add to the thread.

Reactions: OceanBlue and CentreMid