BasilThePlant

BasilThePlant

Aug 13, 2024
Exactly as the title says. I have no access to blades. I still live with my parents, and as long as I do, they will continue to forcibly check me for SH. Any methods that look non-self-inflicted, or heal within a matter of days? Be creative pls!

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: rotten, dagyu, Heartaches and 1 other person
zadyszka

zadyszka

professional boyfailure
Feb 15, 2024
I don't want to encourage SH, you should use this as an opportunity to get clean..

However, you've probably heard that thousands of times before, and considering I'm in the exact same situation right now, I shouldn't be one to tell you to get clean. I personally like to bruise or scratch myself, since both of those methods can easily be passed off as accidents. I'm a smoker, so occasionally i also burn myself with cigarettes, although this one would be harder to pass off as accident.

I hope you can get better soon, and you should really consider getting clean. I know it can be hard, but you should give it a try.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: BasilThePlant, Heartaches and Bocchi
Heartaches

Heartaches

Apologizing for my life and ever entering yours
May 6, 2021
Hitting yourself, picking your skin, hitting your skin with rubber bands, letting an ice cube melt (no rubbing), putting tape and then taking it off. Those are the ones that come to mind. Please be careful.

• Hugs
Reactions: gayayi4811 and BasilThePlant
BasilThePlant

BasilThePlant

Aug 13, 2024
I don't want to encourage SH, you should use this as an opportunity to get clean..

However, you've probably heard that thousands of times before, and considering I'm in the exact same situation right now, I shouldn't be one to tell you to get clean. I personally like to bruise or scratch myself, since both of those methods can easily be passed off as accidents. I'm a smoker, so occasionally i also burn myself with cigarettes, although this one would be harder to pass off as accident.

I hope you can get better soon, and you should really consider getting clean. I know it can be hard, but you should give it a try.
Tysm.

• Love
Reactions: zadyszka
gayayi4811

gayayi4811

Aug 23, 2024
please try harder to stop

Last edited:
Reactions: Jon Arbuckle
rotten

rotten

Student
Apr 14, 2021
I tend to use shallow needle pricks or bite the inside of my mouth, but be careful and hygienic about it.

nembutal

nembutal

everything will be okay in the end
Jul 14, 2022
be creative lol. self harm doesn't do jack shit, it's illogical and leaves you with nothing but scarring at the end of the day. realizing how pointless it is is how ive maintained a clean streak of a few months. now i have to live with the scarring of my stupid impulse all over my arms for the rest of my life. i barely have clean space for tattoos.

Reactions: dagyu
Soupster

Soupster

Chasing dreams, catching nightmares
Aug 14, 2024
I'll echo other sentiments in this thread - try to look as this as an opportunity to kick SH behaviors if you can. If you can't/won't then I'll simply present my personal methods since I don't allow myself to cut anymore.

My personal favorite is using my keys. They can obviously scratch without actually doing much harm. Though repeating over and over can drive positive results. I have a decent number of keys and have the keyring attached to a caribeener. I will swing them against my arms, legs, torso repeatedly harder and harder until I achieve the desired effect.

Less effective, but also less harmful is the rubber band on the wrist. Snapped enough times the skin becomes quite raw and painful.

Reactions: cowboypants
antihydra

antihydra

nomad
Aug 31, 2024
be creative lol. self harm doesn't do jack shit, it's illogical and leaves you with nothing but scarring at the end of the day. realizing how pointless it is is how ive maintained a clean streak of a few months. now i have to live with the scarring of my stupid impulse all over my arms for the rest of my life. i barely have clean space for tattoos.
you probably already know this but scars can be tattooed over - it depends on the age and type of the scar and whether or not your artist specializes in/offers tattooing over scars. A good article on the topic if you'd like: https://www.naohoa.com/tattooing-over-scars/

M

MyTimeIsUp

Perhaps I'll be important when I'm long gone?
Feb 27, 2024
you probably already know this but scars can be tattooed over - it depends on the age and type of the scar and whether or not your artist specializes in/offers tattooing over scars. A good article on the topic if you'd like: https://www.naohoa.com/tattooing-over-scars/
This isn't true. Some can't be tattooed over because the skin is so thin.

@BasilThePlant

Asking for methods on how to hurt yourself isn't helpful to you.

It comes naturally to those that just do it, like when you first started cutting, I'm sure you didn't ask for tips. I stopped cutting years ago, but I still self harm and I've done the same thing for years (and when I was cutting) but not as much as I did.

It is a good thing you can't self harm, because all it does it cause scarring, and not all scars can be tattooed over. You don't want those scars, trust me. Later in life, you will hate them and you won't be able to cover them.

Distraction is always helpful. There must be ways you can do this. The thoughts will remain, but this is about making them less intense so you don't focus on it, and end up hurting yourself.

Distraction techniques do work, it takes time though - it won't happen overnight - take it from someone that used to cut and other forms of self harm daily.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: antihydra and let.me.let.go87
let.me.let.go87

let.me.let.go87

Experienced
Jul 12, 2024
Honestly, eraser burns. But as someone with 62 days no self harm (it's been a struggle sometimes not gonna lie) I'm proud of myself. I believe in you, you can get over this. Admittedly I still have a naughty drawer. I have full access to lighters, carry a blade in my phone case and in my wallet, have a box of like over 100 straight razors in a room in my house hidden so my husband don't know where. But I've held back. For two whole months now. I've been cutting since I was 12. I'm 37. With all the chaos in my life lately, an ex friend harassing and stalking me basically, fighting at home, bullshit charges I'm fighting (they should be dropped hopefully, long story) the nightmares and depression sinking back in, and everything else going on I've been able to hold back. I believe in you. You can do it too.
Not really. Not if you cut as much or as deep as I had. Only if they're like cat scratch scars. My scars are thick white scars. I tried to cover them. It can't be done. Several opinions later I gave up. Even with tattoos the scars are plain as day. And even here they're not very well hidden ijs

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: MyTimeIsUp
M

MyTimeIsUp

Feb 27, 2024
Honestly, eraser burns. But as someone with 62 days no self harm (it's been a struggle sometimes not gonna lie) I'm proud of myself. I believe in you, you can get over this. Admittedly I still have a naughty drawer. I have full access to lighters, carry a blade in my phone case and in my wallet, have a box of like over 100 straight razors in a room in my house hidden so my husband don't know where. But I've held back. For two whole months now. I've been cutting since I was 12. I'm 37. With all the chaos in my life lately, an ex friend harassing and stalking me basically, fighting at home, bullshit charges I'm fighting (they should be dropped hopefully, long story) the nightmares and depression sinking back in, and everything else going on I've been able to hold back. I believe in you. You can do it too.

Not really. Not if you cut as much or as deep as I had. Only if they're like cat scratch scars. My scars are thick white scars. I tried to cover them. It can't be done. Several opinions later I gave up. Even with tattoos the scars are plain as day. And even here they're not very well hidden ijs
2 months is amazing! If you did have a blip, it's important to remind yourself it's not the end of the world (I know it may feel that way), because if you do focus on it, you'll do it again, and before you know it, you're back in that cycle.

Do you have support for your mental health? I understand the need to have a self harm draw, it's like having a bunch of pills you can overdose on (I used to) but not actually doing it, it's kinda a comfort, knowing it's there?

You're so right about the tattoos - I have deep self harm scars on my left inner forearm and the scars are still obvious, but deceiving to the eye if my arm isn't in close eye shot. I know they're there, they're visible, but it makes me feel better knowing I have something that makes them less obvious.

People used to STARE at my arm before I had them tattooed over. Like obviously staring, and I'd be asked shit, but since tattoos, not at all.

EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

|| What Else Could I Be But a Jester ||
Oct 21, 2023
self harm doesn't do jack shit, it's illogical and leaves you with nothing but scarring at the end of the day.
Not all self harm methods leave you with scarring. Methods, such as hitting yourself or banging your head against something hard, aren't going to leave any permanent marks, just bruising.

Mirrory Me

Mirrory Me

"Life's a mirror, but 'whose' mirror?"
Mar 23, 2023
SH isn't really solving any of your problems. It's like stabbing your vehicle's tire while some other part needs fixing (or perhaps it's stuck in the mud, or run out of fuel, etc...).

Reactions: ladylazarus4
Ashu

Ashu

novelist, sanskritist, Canadian living in India
Nov 13, 2021
When I was a homeless seventeen year old in Toronto, I started picking up rubber bands off the sidewalk, putting them on my fingers like rings, and pulling and snapping them against the skin, causing sharp pain, which eventually led to painful open wounds. The original motivation was actually to distract myself from terrifying obsessive thoughts.

ladylazarus4

ladylazarus4

exhausted
May 12, 2024
SH isn't really solving any of your problems. It's like stabbing your vehicle's tire while some other part needs fixing (or perhaps it's stuck in the mud, or run out of fuel, etc...).
it's hard because logically I know this (and I bet most people who sh know this) but it works quite well at alleviating distress in the moment (even tho it's obviously bad long term) so it's hard to stop even if you know it's bad for you.

antihydra

antihydra

nomad
Aug 31, 2024
This isn't true. Some can't be tattooed over because the skin is so thin.

I'm replying to this to ask you to read my full reply, and to point out to you that I did mention whether or not a scar can be tattooed over is conditional. I do not want misinformation to be spread. Thank you.

It comes naturally to those that just do it, like when you first started cutting, I'm sure you didn't ask for tips. I stopped cutting years ago, but I still self harm and I've done the same thing for years (and when I was cutting) but not as much as I did.

It is a good thing you can't self harm, because all it does it cause scarring, and not all scars can be tattooed over. You don't want those scars, trust me. Later in life, you will hate them and you won't be able to cover them.

Distraction is always helpful. There must be ways you can do this. The thoughts will remain, but this is about making them less intense so you don't focus on it, and end up hurting yourself.

Distraction techniques do work, it takes time though - it won't happen overnight - take it from someone that used to cut and other forms of self harm daily.
I am autistic, so I am going to say this bluntly, but please do not take offence from this - I truly mean the best.

Your comment is very black and white. You gave entirely definitive answers, stating that so-and-so is the way things are going to be, no matter what. I do not believe that's true, nor helpful. For example; "It comes naturally to those that just do it […] I'm sure you didn't ask for tips."

In my case, when I was 11-13, I was manipulated into it. It did not come naturally to me. The person who taught me how held 'competitions' between myself, him and my now ex-partner, and would consistently goad us into more and more destructive forms of self-harm that neither of us had heard about, let alone considered.

"You will hate [your scars] and won't be able to cover them."

This may be true for you, but not for everybody. Maybe this person does not hate their scars. I hate to focus this on my experience, but to speak from the knowledge I have, one of my best friends has come to terms with his scars. Another one of my best friends likes theirs - to her they're a reminder of his strength, and that she can recover on their own. It is different for anybody, and I simply ask you to acknowledge that.
Tattooing over self-harm scars is possible. Again, it varies for each person, but if you find the right artist you may be able to work something out. Sometimes the scar cannot be tattooed over, but it is not always the case.

On a more uplifting note, I do heavily commend you on recommending distraction! It is an extremely helpful technique. Sometimes just taking time to attempt diverting focus onto something else can work wonders.

let.me.let.go87

let.me.let.go87

Experienced
Jul 12, 2024
2 months is amazing! If you did have a blip, it's important to remind yourself it's not the end of the world (I know it may feel that way), because if you do focus on it, you'll do it again, and before you know it, you're back in that cycle.

Do you have support for your mental health? I understand the need to have a self harm draw, it's like having a bunch of pills you can overdose on (I used to) but not actually doing it, it's kinda a comfort, knowing it's there?

You're so right about the tattoos - I have deep self harm scars on my left inner forearm and the scars are still obvious, but deceiving to the eye if my arm isn't in close eye shot. I know they're there, they're visible, but it makes me feel better knowing I have something that makes them less obvious.

People used to STARE at my arm before I had them tattooed over. Like obviously staring, and I'd be asked shit, but since tattoos, not at all.
Sorta kinda but not really. My last therapist was a disaster so I won't have another therapist until the end of October. Right now all I have is weekly ECT sessions but they don't do much in the way of support. And yeah before I tattoed over my scars people stared a lot too. They're still there and too me quite obvious but you have to be within a few feet

M

MyTimeIsUp

Feb 27, 2024
I'm replying to this to ask you to read my full reply, and to point out to you that I did mention whether or not a scar can be tattooed over is conditional. I do not want misinformation to be spread. Thank you.

I am autistic, so I am going to say this bluntly, but please do not take offence from this - I truly mean the best.

Your comment is very black and white. You gave entirely definitive answers, stating that so-and-so is the way things are going to be, no matter what. I do not believe that's true, nor helpful. For example; "It comes naturally to those that just do it […] I'm sure you didn't ask for tips."

In my case, when I was 11-13, I was manipulated into it. It did not come naturally to me. The person who taught me how held 'competitions' between myself, him and my now ex-partner, and would consistently goad us into more and more destructive forms of self-harm that neither of us had heard about, let alone considered.

"You will hate [your scars] and won't be able to cover them."

This may be true for you, but not for everybody. Maybe this person does not hate their scars. I hate to focus this on my experience, but to speak from the knowledge I have, one of my best friends has come to terms with his scars. Another one of my best friends likes theirs - to her they're a reminder of his strength, and that she can recover on their own. It is different for anybody, and I simply ask you to acknowledge that.
Tattooing over self-harm scars is possible. Again, it varies for each person, but if you find the right artist you may be able to work something out. Sometimes the scar cannot be tattooed over, but it is not always the case.

On a more uplifting note, I do heavily commend you on recommending distraction! It is an extremely helpful technique. Sometimes just taking time to attempt diverting focus onto something else can work wonders.
I don't reply often to quoted messages (much) but I thought I would, to add some clarity, and leave it at that, because I feel like I'm repeating myself here.

That was perceived completely wrong, that is definitely not what was said, nor implied. But that's absolutely fine if you want to perceive it that way - everyone has their own ways of looking at things. I'm not easily offended, so it's fine :-) and even if I was, that would be my issue - some are more sensitive that others, and that's ok

Correct. Like I said previously, not all tattoos can be tattooed over, it is a fact. I didn't say all can't (as your comment "self harm scars can be tattooed over. It is possible") implies - I said 'sometimes', and that certainly doesn't mean all, does it? Once again, sometimes the skin is too thin - I have literally spoken to tattoo artists about this - and I know of people that have that issue, and as a result they only have half of their scars tattooed over. I was luck enough not to have that problem.

OK, but we're not talking about someone being forced to do something are we? We are talking about someone asking how to hurt themselves (with methods and to 'be creative') - that was the actual question, there is absolutely no comparison.

The things I've done to myself I haven't heard of, but it's literally because I wanted to hurt myself? If you really want to hurt yourself, you find a way? Quite literally any form of pain, or mark on yourself is a form of self harm - or even self destructive behaviours like risky sex, binge eating, doing stupid things that you'd never normally do - the list is endless. Perhaps you don't realise self harm comes in various forms, but it does.

Yes, but that's not the case for the majority of people, is it? It is a reminder of how mentally unwell you were at the time, and not everyone wants to be reminded of that horrific time in their life. In my opinion, that would be like getting a tattoo of a traumatic event (I mean a tattoo of the literal event) - there is a reason why people cut themselves - it is not a sign of strength, it is a sign of how much pain you were in.

The distraction thing is relatively new to me, I've been doing it for years, but not anywhere near as much as I do now. It's helped me so much, and has stopped me from killing myself and focusing on shit I don't need to, so that's positive :-) it does take a lot of time though, and effort - and plenty of blips in the road. To try and try, and keep trying is key, but that's like anything really - it's about trying to change your mindset, which is SO hard, but it is possible. I would recommend trying it at least.

I wish you all the best with whatever your future holds :-)