Anxieyote

Anxieyote

Sobriety over everything else • 30 • Midwest
Mar 24, 2021
The internet gives us so much to do, but I'm just not very interested in any of it anymore.

My emotional reaction to books and movies has been dulled over time. I can attribute some of that to depression, but I've also consumed enough media in my life that it's pretty difficult to get genuinely excited for something unless I numb my brain with drugs and alcohol.

I remember seeing Toy Story in theaters when I was a kid, and the sheer happiness of seeing 3D animated toys on a giant screen fired off enough dopamine charges to keep me happy for weeks.

Then years later, I watch Toy Story 3 in a vain attempt to recapture that feeling again, and I kind of felt something for a moment when I saw adult Andy give up his childhood toys, but the heartwarming feeling only lasted for a couple hours after I left the theater.

And when Toy Story 4 came out, I was already well into my doomer phase. I didn't even see it, and I still have no desire to see it.

What happened? You would think the brain of a grown adult would be sophisticated enough to figure out a way to recapture that sense of childlike wonder that we all love so much, but mine has just been destroying itself, and figuring out new ways to hate things.

• Hugs
Reactions: drakeramoraya158, artificial_ineptness, 3am.and.tired and 4 others
yabuki77

yabuki77

And then, all that remains is pure white ash.
Apr 29, 2022
We live in a digital age where we can constantly scroll through social media and get an endless source of dopamine and instant gratification. Your brain becomes used to those levels of dopamine and after many years of it you no longer feel anything. There's not really much you can do, you can either do drugs or cut your access to the internet as much as possible and do things that are more productive but give you less dopamine.

Reactions: drakeramoraya158, Anxieyote and demuic
S

SuicidallyCurious

Enlightened
Dec 20, 2020
What you say is normal

I'll give some insight on how I fixed this problem in life

I started paying attention to the real and spending more time in the real. Doing this made me feel like a child again as I stopped being on the digital BS and went back to the real

Reactions: Anxieyote and WanderingWater
W

WanderingWater

Student
Apr 7, 2022
Do not underestimate the Value of Sunrise & Sunset.

Reactions: Anxieyote, outrider567 and SuicidallyCurious
S

SuicidallyCurious

Enlightened
Dec 20, 2020
Do not underestimate the Value of Sunrise & Sunset.

You can find a lot of value there. The controllers of our world want you watching their televisions and to ignore the real

Reactions: Anxieyote and WanderingWater
Fadeawaaaay

Fadeawaaaay

Visionary
Nov 12, 2021
I've had to reduce outside stimulation (books, movies) because it brings up feelings and feelings hurt. And anything from the outside world reminds me of how alive the outside world is right now and how I'm too frightened to participate…

• Hugs
Reactions: Le_Dauphin, rationaltake and Anxieyote
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
Nothing really interests me at all personally. Life itself is so repetitive and tedious. All that life is, is just distracting ourselves until we die. All distractions are so meaningless to me. In my case, I struggle to concentrate as well. I'm sorry that you are suffering and I wish you the best.

Darkover

Darkover

Angelic
Jul 29, 2021
i'm bored from the moment i wake to the moment i sleep can't really concentrate on anything for very long time at all nothing here interests me anymore the same shit just a different day how boring, the only thing i get any enjoyment from is smoking weed

V

VapeAway

May 9, 2022
I feel very similar to how you're feeling. When I was a kid some tv cartoons made me so happy and excited. I tried to rewatch them in silly hopes to feel some of the excitement again, but it didn't work. Our brains are changing, children are naive, but we've been through so much, I think life and experiences altered our brains so it's hard to feel the same excitement we felt as kids. We've faced so many hardships, things are not the same anymore. I think alcohol and drugs also play a big part because they mess with our dopamine levels.
These days I can only feel relaxed when I'm drunk, then I can get some excitement from tv shows/movies/cartoons.

Last edited:
Reactions: Anxieyote
L

long4rest

May 5, 2022
Things seem pointless as I don't plan to be around much longer. Hopefully I am able to get the means to ctb together soon. Then I will have the planning, preparing, closing out stuff, etc. to keep me occupied.

freedompass

freedompass

Warlock
Jan 27, 2021
Hmmm well I fucking love the internet and highly doubt I'll quit anytime soon but it's been a few years now that I've barely read a book. I used to love reading so much and I really do regret that. I still hope to pick it back up. I'm sure the dopamine thing is real and feel worse for the younger people who perhaps become saturated with consuming media earlier than we did. My son is 26 and has a fraction of the real life experience I had at his age. I have a lot of grief and regret over what he's missed out on and feel partly responsible but that's another story.

S

SuicidallyCurious

Enlightened
Dec 20, 2020
Hmmm well I fucking love the internet and highly doubt I'll quit anytime soon but it's been a few years now that I've barely read a book. I used to love reading so much and I really do regret that. I still hope to pick it back up. I'm sure the dopamine thing is real and feel worse for the younger people who perhaps become saturated with consuming media earlier than we did. My son is 26 and has a fraction of the real life experience I had at his age. I have a lot of grief and regret over what he's missed out on and feel partly responsible but that's another story.

Yeh the young gens are broken in a way due to the media consumption

Huge difference between us and the generations that are low or pre tv