lwlaiet8887

lwlaiet8887

Embodiment of failure/Doom poster/Compassionate
Sep 14, 2023
Called a few of the hotlines because I wanted someone to vent to about my issues, it's like talking to a robot. The really don't care about your issues unless you're actively trying to hurt yourself. Why is it so hard to speak to a genuine normal person instead of someone's who's been told to act like a fucking bot instead of a real living breathing person with sympathy? The most helpful were Samaritans I suppose but they're extremely impartial and just listen. For such an anti-suicide country the methods of prevention are awful. I've used all of them on a few occasions over the years. Even the doctor I spoke to in person recently for anti-depressants was completely insensitive and treated me like an object.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: KuriGohan&Kamehameha, girlsboysthems, StellaSomnus and 11 others
N

NoHorizon

Experienced
Nov 22, 2022
Yeah, my experience of mental health services in the UK has been pretty poor. When my GP last reviewed my antidepressants he asked how I was getting on with them and I said "I feel terrible and still want to kill myself" and his reply was "OK, well keep taking them until 6 months after you feel better. I don't need to review them with you again" - I started weaning myself off of them the next day.

I have encountered a few people who genuinely seemed to care (ironically, the police officer who attended for my SN welfare check was one of them), but the people who care don't tend to have much power/ability to help. All the ones that do just appear jaded by the whole profession or treat you like another item on their assembly line conveyor belt.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: raindrop9, losing hope, darkenmydoorstep and 2 others
lwlaiet8887

lwlaiet8887

Sep 14, 2023
Yeah, my experience of mental health services in the UK has been pretty poor. When my GP last reviewed my antidepressants he asked how I was getting on with them and I said "I feel terrible and still want to kill myself" and his reply was "OK, well keep taking them until 6 months after you feel better. I don't need to review them with you again" - I started weaning myself off of them the next day.

I have encountered a few people who genuinely seemed to care (ironically, the police officer who attended for my SN welfare check was one of them), but the people who care don't tend to have much power/ability to help. All the ones that do just appear jaded by the whole profession or treat you like another item on their assembly line conveyor belt.
It's 100% like this.

kittyswift

kittyswift

getting tired even for a phoenix..
Sep 29, 2023
yeah its awful :( when i reached out for help they said there was nothing they could do because i hadn't been hospitalised. but when i WAS hospitalised multiple times they still said there was nothing they can do… its a joke

• Aww..
  • Love
Reactions: LittleBlackCat, lwlaiet8887 and NoHorizon
Sunoo

Sunoo

Student
Sep 25, 2023
Called a few of the hotlines because I wanted someone to vent to about my issues, it's like talking to a robot. The really don't care about your issues unless you're actively trying to hurt yourself. Why is it so hard to speak to a genuine normal person instead of someone's who's been told to act like a fucking bot instead of a real living breathing person with sympathy? The most helpful were Samaritans I suppose but they're extremely impartial and just listen. For such an anti-suicide country the methods of prevention are awful. I've used all of them on a few occasions over the years. Even the doctor I spoke to in person recently for anti-depressants was completely insensitive and treated me like an object.
All they do is diagnose you and prescribe you medicine and send you away lmao

Reactions: NoHorizon
Neverfeltdeader

Neverfeltdeader

Can you hear me drift away?
Dec 12, 2021
Same in the US. Suicide hotlines are an absolute joke and nobody really knows how to care for/treat a suicidal individual. You can't really tell anyone that you're actively suicidal without being forced to go to the ER where they treat you like a fucking criminal.

Reactions: raindrop9 and darknesscomesquick
Ferret77

Ferret77

Jun 2, 2023
I've never been to UK specifically, but I'm also from Europe and I would say, from my experience, that it's this way almost everywhere. I went to a therapist and almost like the second session, she was already forcing pills onto me, when all I've wanted was to just talk to somebody. And the worst thing was, that she never actually listened to me....I was expressing how I feel, and she basically went...."Nope, not true"....Like ...What the hell?
I've heard so much stories of people going to places, that are supposed to help us, and instead they just made it so much worse, by trigerring their trauma and invalidating them. All they do is just force pills with horrible side effects down our throats, cause they don't care at all, but it makes them money. I hate when people hurt themselfs or ctb, people act like if they could turn back time and prevent it in any way, they would, but when a person who's struggling actually actively seeks out help, all that happens, is that they get ignored, thrown around, dismissed and invalidated...It makes me so fucking mad.

• Love
Reactions: BurningSita, Clut and lwlaiet8887
NPCaesar

NPCaesar

Jun 15, 2023
Well, thats quite funny, because when I was in Britain last holidays (Iam from Germany) there were those signs on like every tall bridge with the suicide hotline number on them.

A

alterationitfinds

Sep 21, 2023
The NHS mental health services have nearly killed me multiple times no joke. i think i've had 3 different 'therapists' the first one was only about 4 years older than me, early to mid 20s. we got on really well, so well that she would literally not do her job at all and just talk to me about how she was getting married soon and talk to me about sex stuff. it was like having a friend timetabled into your life. yes i needed a friend but also, i waited months for your helps and this is…it? i used to talk to her about really awful shit and she'd just be like "god that's so bad.. anyway" not to mention the only reason i stopped seeing her was because i inadvertently got her a promotion because she was able to showcase to her boss how well she "connects" with her patients. absolute scammery.
the second is an absolute cliche of all cliches, like "come here give me a hug" "aw pet your gonna be fine" type of vibes. not once did we actually talk about any of my problems, she just heard me say them and then gave me a hug. it was like just an excuse to be heavily petted, needless to say i asked for a new one.
but the third proved me wrong on why i shouldn't have asked for a new one.. because when i tell youuuuuu she is literally the poster child for the hippie movement. she'd show up 20 mins late wearing yoga pants and holding a herbal tea and within two sessions she had signed me up for 'clay therapy' where i convert my trauma into pottery.
i am no longer under the nhs mental health services because i quit lmao.
it takes so much willpower to go for help in the first place and they tear down every shred of hope for finding empathy and help everytime.
so when i do find a way to ctb, their hands are red. and i don't think it would be that bold of me to say that their hands get redder everyday because of how poor the state of the mental health service is.
it's awful

Reactions: KuriGohan&Kamehameha, LittleBlackCat, lwlaiet8887 and 1 other person
darknesscomesquick

darknesscomesquick

Not all who wander are lost—trying to find an exit
Sep 19, 2023
Same in the US. Suicide hotlines are an absolute joke and nobody really knows how to care for/treat a suicidal individual. You can't really tell anyone that you're actively suicidal without being forced to go to the ER where they treat you like a fucking criminal.
I was just thinking this! Even if you get a decent therapist, it's like they try to make you fit the diagnosis and if you don't they will force it on you. Then the meds...I mean if they can find a med to control you, they will. Sounds like same shit, different side of the pond.

Reactions: Neverfeltdeader
U

UKscotty

Doesn't read PMs
May 20, 2021
It's not just the UK. No one really knows what to do other than ram a load of pills down someone to calm them down.

Talking and ranting doesn't help or work for most.

I personally think its unfair to blame the services and volunteers, it's just there is nothing they can do to help.

SadPingu

SadPingu

Go out like a spark, my trauma and me.
Jul 27, 2023
My experience with the CMHT has always been awful and my first psychiatrist had more issues than me I think...

My current GP is amazing and couldn't have done more for me but obviously she's limited in what she can do. She really pushed for the CMHT to re-assess me and then apologised when they were shit.

I'm in a fortunate enough position to pay privately for a psych and he's great. He diagnosed me two years ago so when I got back in contact to ask for another assessment he did a discounted rate.

Overall the system is failing people though even my GP believes so. 😢

• Love
Reactions: lwlaiet8887
Garf125

Garf125

Sep 21, 2023
My primary UK mental health "care" experience has been through the children's service CAMHS and it is infamous. I think a large part of the problem with modern therapy is that it's ran for profit and so theyre heavily incentivized to use inefficient patchwork methods like Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (psychiatrical gaslighting) that work just well enough that they can convince you they're helping you before sending you out of the revolving door just for you to come back a year later more suicidal than ever and more willing to shill out more money in the vain hope of getting better.

• Love
Clut

Clut

Feb 28, 2020
I really relate to all of this. And I can't bear the social media posts saying you're not alone, reach out! Of course I'm alone and reach out to who? Nobody has time or gives a shit and you're just told you need to learn to help yourself but not told how. I hate it here.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: BurningSita, LittleBlackCat, SadPingu and 3 others
M

missinginactions

Jun 29, 2023
This. I told my therapist I had tried weed once. They kicked me out of therapy and ended everything. After witnessing a rape, I tried to get help again, but the therapists said I had to go to rehab to deal with my weed addiction first?!?! I ended up self harming cuz it made me feel like I don't deserve getting help or better. The system is rigged against us..

• Love
LittleBlackCat

LittleBlackCat

Experienced
Feb 6, 2020
I think the UK as a whole is a joke. 😢

M

Meteora

Ignorance is bliss
Jun 27, 2023
Called a few of the hotlines because I wanted someone to vent to about my issues, it's like talking to a robot. The really don't care about your issues unless you're actively trying to hurt yourself. Why is it so hard to speak to a genuine normal person insteads of someone's who's been told to act like a fucking bot instead of a real living breathing person with sympathy? The most helpful were Samaritans I suppose but they're extremely impartial and just listen. For such an anti-suicide country the methods of prevention are awful. I've used all of them on a few occasions over the years. Even the doctor I spoke to in person recently for anti-depressants was completely insensitive and treated me like an object.
Its the same here in Switzerland. Big, big double standards, on one hand anti-suicide campaigns, on the other hand they treat sufferers like sh....
I have no words for this. It makes me wanna blow up their f*cking institutions.

HyugaHarbor

HyugaHarbor

Oct 1, 2023
I'm genuinely sorry to hear about your experiences with mental health services in the UK. It's incredibly frustrating to seek genuine support and understanding only to feel like you're talking to a wall. Everyone deserves to be treated with empathy and respect, especially when vulnerable.
Unfortunately, many systems, even those designed to help, can sometimes feel impersonal. But please know that your feelings and experiences are valid. It's essential to keep reaching out, even if it's just to friends, online communities, or other avenues where you feel heard and understood.
Remember, you're not alone in this. Many people have faced similar challenges with mental health services, and your voice is essential in highlighting areas that need improvement. Stay strong, and keep advocating for yourself. You deserve better.
I wanted to mention a platform I've come across called BetterHelp.com
It's an online counseling service that connects individuals with licensed therapists worldwide. I've heard positive feedback about it, and it might offer a more personalized and empathetic approach compared to some traditional services. I also heard It's known to be relatively affordable and that they offer financial aid options.
Of course, it's just a suggestion, and finding what works best for you is essential. Your feelings and experiences are valid, and you deserve support that resonates with you. Stay strong, and I hope you find the help and understanding you seek.
Anime hug

Neverfeltdeader

Neverfeltdeader

Can you hear me drift away?
Dec 12, 2021
I was just thinking this! Even if you get a decent therapist, it's like they try to make you fit the diagnosis and if you don't they will force it on you. Then the meds...I mean if they can find a med to control you, they will. Sounds like same shit, different side of the pond.
That's all so very true! The mh system is terribly flawed and fucked up.

Reactions: darknesscomesquick
lwlaiet8887

lwlaiet8887

Sep 14, 2023
Meds have done nothing for me either. They just killed my d*ck and took away my ability to experiment happiness.I've also been a lot more impulsive after taking them since I just don't feel much of anything.