P

PhDone

Jul 29, 2024
Just order some meds from an international pharmacy. Seems to be shipping from India and they advertise non-labelled packaging. How do customs check if you have a prescription? What do they do if you don't or if theres no prescription with the package? The amount is within the 3mo meds allowance for import but the prescription side of it is ????

I also found another international pharmacy that will ship without and they mention labelling as a logistics company rather than pharmacy. But dont they get xrayed?

Btw I've had 3 lots of SN delivered unlabelled. Looking at a combo method (separate post).

Reactions: davidtorez
Darkover

Darkover

Angelic
Jul 29, 2021
you can only get a prescription for the country you reside in unless your in the EU known as a "cross-border prescription"

Plato'sCaveDweller

Plato'sCaveDweller

Sleep is good, death is better.
Sep 2, 2024
Just order some meds from an international pharmacy. Seems to be shipping from India and they advertise non-labelled packaging. How do customs check if you have a prescription? What do they do if you don't or if theres no prescription with the package? The amount is within the 3mo meds allowance for import but the prescription side of it is ????

I also found another international pharmacy that will ship without and they mention labelling as a logistics company rather than pharmacy. But dont they get xrayed?

Btw I've had 3 lots of SN delivered unlabelled. Looking at a combo method (separate post).
wondering this too. going to be ordering meto and propranolol (under 3mo supply) from an indian online pharmacy as soon as i'm able. but both of these drugs require prescriptions and customs might get curious.

Reactions: PhDone and davidtorez
P

PhDone

Jul 29, 2024
you can only get a prescription for the country you reside in unless your in the EU known as a "cross-border prescription"
Thanks for that. My countries import permissions say you should have a valid prescription for within this country though. How would they know?

Darkover

Darkover

Angelic
Jul 29, 2021
Thanks for that. My countries import permissions say you should have a valid prescription for within this country though. How would they know?
Import authorities typically determine whether a prescription is valid by requiring documentation, such as the prescription itself or a medical certificate, to accompany the imported medication. If the prescription is from a foreign healthcare provider, some countries may require it to be translated, verified, or endorsed by a local healthcare authority.

Customs or import authorities might cross-check details with local databases or require additional verification from the recipient. They could also flag packages containing prescription drugs for inspection, asking for proof of a valid local prescription before release. However, in practice, the level of scrutiny might depend on the volume of medication, the specific drug, or random checks.

Reactions: PhDone, Tonkpils, deathsisarelief and 3 others
Nikitatos

Nikitatos

Wizard
Apr 10, 2024
Customs doesn't care about prescription drugs from overseas pharmacies.....at least in the US. There's hundreds of pounds of fentanyl, heroin, and cocaine every day coming through that takes up their attention.

Reactions: PhDone and Plato'sCaveDweller
Darkover

Darkover

Angelic
Jul 29, 2021
Customs doesn't care about prescription drugs from overseas pharmacies.....at least in the US. There's hundreds of pounds of fentanyl, heroin, and cocaine every day coming through that takes up their attention.
while customs might not actively pursue every instance of prescription drug importation for personal use, it's still technically illegal to import prescription medications from overseas without proper authorization. Enforcement often depends on the type of drug and the quantity being imported. Customs might focus more on larger or more suspicious shipments, while smaller packages for personal use might pass through without much scrutiny.

Reactions: PhDone
Plato'sCaveDweller

Plato'sCaveDweller

Sep 2, 2024
while customs might not actively pursue every instance of prescription drug importation for personal use, it's still technically illegal to import prescription medications from overseas without proper authorization. Enforcement often depends on the type of drug and the quantity being imported. Customs might focus more on larger or more suspicious shipments, while smaller packages for personal use might pass through without much scrutiny.
According to what I've researched. In the US, it is legal to import prescription drugs as long as it's not being shipped in distribution quantity (personal use amount only), they are FDA approved, not classified as a controlled substance, and are licensed and not banned in the US. But perhaps I'm missing something?

Darkover

Darkover

Angelic
Jul 29, 2021
According to what I've researched. In the US, it is legal to import prescription drugs as long as it's not being shipped in distribution quantity (personal use amount only), they are FDA approved, not classified as a controlled substance, and are licensed and not banned in the US. But perhaps I'm missing something?
Your understanding is mostly correct, but there are a few nuances to keep in mind regarding the importation of prescription drugs into the U.S.:

1. FDA Regulations: The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) generally prohibits the importation of prescription drugs from other countries. However, the FDA does allow some exceptions for personal use, particularly if:
    • The drug is intended for personal use (typically a 90-day supply or less).
    • The drug is not available in the U.S. but is necessary for a serious condition.
    • There's no known commercialization or promotion of the drug to U.S. residents.
    • The patient provides contact information for a U.S.-based doctor overseeing their treatment, along with a valid prescription.

Reactions: Plato'sCaveDweller and Tonkpils
Plato'sCaveDweller

Plato'sCaveDweller

Sep 2, 2024
Your understanding is mostly correct, but there are a few nuances to keep in mind regarding the importation of prescription drugs into the U.S.:

1. FDA Regulations: The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) generally prohibits the importation of prescription drugs from other countries. However, the FDA does allow some exceptions for personal use, particularly if:
    • The drug is intended for personal use (typically a 90-day supply or less).
    • The drug is not available in the U.S. but is necessary for a serious condition.
    • There's no known commercialization or promotion of the drug to U.S. residents.
    • The patient provides contact information for a U.S.-based doctor overseeing their treatment, along with a valid prescription.
That last bullet point is probably the kicker, as it could mean that customs wants to see the prescription and doctor contact info. But I assume it could also be a guideline for online pharmacies themselves. I've seen many of them claim they need a prescription, but when you go to order you can simply leave the prescription section blank and they'll ship it regardless.

From what I've seen though, these indian pharmacies that ship without a prescription tend to be very reliable for shipping into the US (barring the sketchy scam sites). Some of them are even marketed towards US residents looking for cheaper drugs. Some pharmacies even falsely label their shipments, like the OP mentioned, so customs doesn't have any reason to go snooping in the package (DMC, the SN source most users are using, also does this with SN).

So I'm not sure here. I'm assuming that the other user is correct in that customs has bigger fish to fry than trying to catch some Metoclopramide and Propranolol (stuff you'd get for an SN protocol) in personal use quantity coming into the US.

• Informative
Reactions: PhDone and Darkover
T

Tonkpils

Jul 12, 2024
I have some insight on this as I used to work for a major shipping company processing import invoices for customs. I worked on FDA regulated items which includes drugs. For personal medications a prescription is required in order to import and the package will be held until that is received. It can be written by the shipping pharmacy and included with the invoice or you may provide it yourself to customs if your US doctor wrote it. There are also several points of information required relating to the drug itself such as manufacturer name and dates, temperature, expiration date, etc. TLDR is 99% of personal shipments I saw got held for more info and I never knew if they got released or returned. The worst that happens is it gets returned to sender, nobody's going to knock on your door.

Plato'sCaveDweller

Plato'sCaveDweller

Sep 2, 2024
I have some insight on this as I used to work for a major shipping company processing import invoices for customs. I worked on FDA regulated items which includes drugs. For personal medications a prescription is required in order to import and the package will be held until that is received. It can be written by the shipping pharmacy and included with the invoice or you may provide it yourself to customs if your US doctor wrote it. There are also several points of information required relating to the drug itself such as manufacturer name and dates, temperature, expiration date, etc. TLDR is 99% of personal shipments I saw got held for more info and I never knew if they got released or returned. The worst that happens is it gets returned to sender, nobody's going to knock on your door.
that last bit is a relief to hear. but this is still pretty awful news. at least the pharmacy i'm ordering from offers reshipments for orders that are refused by customs. they claim the chances of it getting held up by customs again is "very slim" so i'm assuming they falsely label it to get it through.

do you know if it's specific prescription meds that get held up at customs? or is it all (like you said, 99%)? i plan on ordering metoclopramide and propranolol, both of which are pretty innocuous and fall comfortably within the definition of what's required as a legal import.

T

Tonkpils

Jul 12, 2024
We didn't flag any specific drugs but I don't know if Customs looks harder at certain things. I don't think they have the time to go after personal use amounts anyway. If it's labeled as "herbal supplement" (something common not sketchy) nobodys gonna look at it.

Plato'sCaveDweller

Plato'sCaveDweller

Sep 2, 2024
We didn't flag any specific drugs but I don't know if Customs looks harder at certain things. I don't think they have the time to go after personal use amounts anyway. If it's labeled as "herbal supplement" (something common not sketchy) nobodys gonna look at it.
Gotcha. Well, hopefully my pharmacy labels it something harmless or customs just lets it be. I could probably do SN without these meds, but if I can successfully pull off this hail mary and get Meto and P, then I'll be golden.

If I have any additional questions in the future about shipments, customs, etc (something you may have info about), could I ask you? So far, you're the first person I've seen to have some personal experience with these matters. Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Reactions: PhDone and Tonkpils
T

Tonkpils

Jul 12, 2024
Gotcha. Well, hopefully my pharmacy labels it something harmless or customs just lets it be. I could probably do SN without these meds, but if I can successfully pull off this hail mary and get Meto and P, then I'll be golden.

If I have any additional questions in the future about shipments, customs, etc (something you may have info about), could I ask you? So far, you're the first person I've seen to have some personal experience with these matters. Thanks for taking the time to answer.
Sure, ask away. I'm glad my experience is useful for something.

• Hugs
P

PhDone

Jul 29, 2024

Same, and thanks for joining in the discussion, super helpful.
Thanks heaps for this. Massively appreciate your input.

• Love
Reactions: Tonkpils and Plato'sCaveDweller
Plato'sCaveDweller

Plato'sCaveDweller

Sep 2, 2024
Same, and thanks for joining in the discussion, super helpful.
sure thing. it's something I was wondering too, so thank you for making the original post! hopefully our meds come in just fine. good luck to you

Reactions: Tonkpils and PhDone
U

Unsure and alone

It's a slow fade
Dec 10, 2023
My last attempt to get meto failed.
Required a prescription and home address .

Can someone please PM me the source ?
I have SN .

After my last experience I would definitely like to have the meto to help

Even as I know not having it won't stop a next attempt.
Whenever that is .

I'm struggling with my choice .
Yet am still very certain that I want to be as prepared as possible for a way out.

Plato'sCaveDweller

Plato'sCaveDweller

Sep 2, 2024

I have SN .

Whenever that is .

Yet am still very certain that I want to be as prepared as possible for a way out.
was it customs that turned it away? or was it the pharmacy that wouldn't let you order? and you will need a home address in all likelihood as you have to sign for the package.

P

PhDone

Jul 29, 2024

I have SN .

Whenever that is .

You say "last experience", so did you try and fail before? If so, any sense why?

P

PhDone

Jul 29, 2024
Just an update, meds arrived today. Seems legit. Well, blister packs are appropriately printed anyway. Front of the packaging showed nothing relevant, even the sender's address wasnt anything obvious. Not sure if there's any risk in the quality or whats actually the contents of each pill. Would international pharms be questionable there?

Last edited: