WinterFaust

WinterFaust

Shimmer
Apr 13, 2020
Those of you who read manga/manhwa, what are some of your favorites and what are you currently reading? One of my current favorites Act-Age was canceled today due to the writer being a terrible person and I'm looking for a new series to fill the void.

I tend to like thrillers and mysteries like Monster or Liar Game. Good characterization is key. I pretty much read across genres as long as there are good characters and a good plot.

I recently finished Promised Neverland and Haikyuu, sort of dropped BNHA for now. Manhwa wise I've read Tower of God (currently dropped), Kubera, and others that I don't feel like listing lol.

I know a few of you watch anime. I've actually seen a lot of anime but I'm avoiding that because of my hearing loss for now. But what are your faves? Any genre is fine.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Deleted member 19276, Tragoedia Vitae and kinzokukae
kinzokukae

kinzokukae

get me out of here
Apr 30, 2020
hey, avid manga and anime fan here!

i would definitely recommend reading common favs like tokyo ghoul, food wars, soul eater, and fullmetal alchemist.

houseki no kuni (or land of the lustrous) is ongoing, but god is it good - i think a lot of ss users could relate to the main character, it's darker than it looks (;

would also recommend fruits basket, it touches on a lot of different subjects though it primarily is a slice of life/romance.

assassination classroom is my personal favourite series ever, so i may be biased in recommending it, but its quite entertaining, balancing humour and seriousness pretty well.

deadman wonderland is a very gory anime, and i believe it's an adaptation of a manga, so i think you'd like that if you like thrillers (:

last one (unless you want more!) is kakegurui - i've only watched the anime, but i know it has a manga, and it's a very new take on the thriller genre. hope you find something you like here!

• Love
Reactions: everydayiloveyou and WinterFaust
WinterFaust

WinterFaust

Shimmer
Apr 13, 2020
hey, avid manga and anime fan here!

i would definitely recommend reading common favs like tokyo ghoul, food wars, soul eater, and fullmetal alchemist.

houseki no kuni (or land of the lustrous) is ongoing, but god is it good - i think a lot of ss users could relate to the main character, it's darker than it looks (;

would also recommend fruits basket, it touches on a lot of different subjects though it primarily is a slice of life/romance.

assassination classroom is my personal favourite series ever, so i may be biased in recommending it, but its quite entertaining, balancing humour and seriousness pretty well.

deadman wonderland is a very gory anime, and i believe it's an adaptation of a manga, so i think you'd like that if you like thrillers (:

last one (unless you want more!) is kakegurui - i've only watched the anime, but i know it has a manga, and it's a very new take on the thriller genre. hope you find something you like here!

Ah. You have such good taste! I'll try not to gush too much lol.

I was obsessed with Houseki no Kuni. Gorgeous, gorgeous anime and that OST is amazing. Cinnabar from the ost is probably one of my favorite pieces from anime of all time. I own a few volumes actually, so thank you for reminding me of one of my favorites.

Tokyo ghoul, food wars, soul eater, and Fullmetal Alchemist - all fantastic. I'll give the soul eater manga a shot since I forgot to finish the last bit of the anime.

Assassination Classroom was so great. It was fun and heartwarming. I'm glad I watched it!

I watched the original fruits basket and read the manga. Once I get over my hearing woes I'll watch the new anime.

Kakegurui is amazing, gorgeous. Fun OP, fun soundtrack, fun characters! I'll check out the manga.

Deadman wonderland was great! Shame they never animated another season but I'll check out the manga.

Thank you for such a thoughtful list. I really appreciate it :)

Last edited:
Reactions: kinzokukae and Deleted member 19276
A

AllReturnsToNothing

I'm useless
Aug 5, 2020
I haven't read too much manga (and there's a hefty catalogue I have yet to get to), but as for what I have read I'd recommend the Nasuicaa of the Valley of the Wind manga, which diverges from the film quite a bit early on and really fleshes out the world as well as the characters and conflicts in it. If you've watched the movie and liked it, you'll definitely like the manga. Though be prepared for it to be a bit darker and more philosophical than the movie, especially later on it gets pretty heavy. I'd also recommend Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou which is about living in the aftermath of apocalypse but instead of it being dark and gritty it's more of a lighthearted slice of life story about living in the country and reflection on life and what it means to be human. The protagonist is also a cute andriod girl who runs a little cafe in the countryside and drives a scooter. Highly recommended.

• Love
Reactions: kinzokukae and WinterFaust
D

draw a circle

out.
Apr 10, 2020
I read some popular ones so I'll try recommending something less popular (maybe)

Ajin: Demi Human is about people who can go back to life after dying. It has terrorism, politics, gore, and the main character is really clever and I often feel "what the fuck" when reading it. It's still ongoing, give it a try.

The Phantom Tower/Yuureitou is about a man investigating an unsolved murder in a haunted mansion, driven by the rumor of a hidden treasure inside the clock tower. Really good, kinda gore and tbh a little bit disgusting at times because of sexual themes. Good read though.

Moriarty the Patriot is another Sherlock Holmes adaptation, but from the perspective of Moriarty. Everyone is bishounen and ikemen and the story is pretty good. Moriarty is an anti-hero in this one. Ongoing.

I'm reading a lot of comics but I can't remember anything right now and a lot of them are some really underrated manga lol. Also I tried to pick the ones with mystery because I like that genre too. My current favorites are Attack on Titan, Beastars, Detective Conan, and Mob Psycho 100.

• Love
Sinai Silence

Sinai Silence

I think I'ma die alone inside my room
Jul 6, 2020
Currently reading A Silent Voice, I would recommend if you haven't read them.

• Love
Reactions: kinzokukae, Deleted member 19276, WinterFaust and 1 other person
VIBRITANNIA

VIBRITANNIA

lelouch. any pronouns. pfp is by pixiv id 3217872.
Aug 10, 2020
my username and my icon makes it obligatory for me to say code geass. lovely fight scenes and character development.

black lagoon is also a favorite of mine. lots of mindless action, which is always fun, but at the same time it gets into the nitty gritty of what life really is.

• Love
Squiddy

Squiddy

Here Lies My Hopes And Dreams
Sep 4, 2019
Manga I recommend Tokyo Ghoul or Noragami. Manhwa, I recommend Lookism

• Love
TheSoulless

TheSoulless

I'd like to fly but my wings have been so denied
Jan 7, 2020
Oyasumi Punpun is amazing, but you've probably read it. I recently read Aku no Hana and Boku wa Mari no Naka by Shuuzou Oshimi. They were good. Psychological stuff (I guess?).

Attack on Titan is my favorite by far, and it's nearing its end.

• Love
Squiddy

Squiddy

Here Lies My Hopes And Dreams
Sep 4, 2019
Oyasumi Punpun is amazing, but you've probably read it. I recently read Aku no Hana and Boku wa Mari no Naka by Shuuzou Oshimi. They were good. Psychological stuff (I guess?).

Aku no hana anime was good. That one classroom scene with the paint though and the music lol

• Love
Reactions: Spaghettii, WinterFaust, kinzokukae and 1 other person
D

draw a circle

out.
Apr 10, 2020

boku wa mari no naka was kinda messed up lol the author also did Chi no Wadachi and it's also quite good i guess

Reactions: kinzokukae and TheSoulless
WinterFaust

WinterFaust

Shimmer
Apr 13, 2020

Thank you for the rec for Shuuzou Oshimi. I read a couple of his works so I decided to give Boku wa Mari no Naka a try. It was interesting. I'm still gathering my thoughts about it.

And I still haven't read Oyasumi Punpun yet so it's on the list!

And wow I haven't read AoT in a while. I heard it's very different now. I haven't gotten to the time skip yet. I'll add it back to the list. Thank you

Reactions: kinzokukae, Deleted member 19276 and TheSoulless
TheSoulless

TheSoulless

I'd like to fly but my wings have been so denied
Jan 7, 2020
Thank you for the rec for Shuuzou Oshimi. I read a couple of his works so I decided to give Boku wa Mari no Naka a try. It was interesting. I'm still gathering my thoughts about it.

And I still haven't read Oyasumi Punpun yet so it's on the list!

And wow I haven't read AoT in a while. I heard it's very different now. I haven't gotten to the time skip yet. I'll add it back to the list. Thank you
From the time skip onwards the story really starts to unfold, it's really good. It shows why it's important to plan the story beforehand.
boku wa mari no naka was kinda messed up lol the author also did Chi no Wadachi and it's also quite good i guess
Yeah, it was kind of messed up, but it was not bad. I definitely prefer Aku no Hana though. I'll probably read Chi no Wadachi too in the future.

Last edited:
  • Love
D

Deleted member 19276

Wizard
Jun 28, 2020
I am actually looking at a guide for how to draw manga, but some of the suggestions here are pretty good. :smiling:
A way to get me more educated if anything. :hug:

• Hugs
D

dieornottodie

Student
Aug 15, 2020
aku no hana

Reactions: kinzokukae, WinterFaust and TheSoulless
Leech

Leech

ɴᴏᴡ'ꜱ ᴛʜᴇ ᴏɴʟy ᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴛʜᴀᴛ'ꜱ ʀᴇᴀʟ
Aug 8, 2020
Came to say Oyasumi Punpun but I got beat to that :P

Anything by Junji Ito, honestly.

• Love
WinterFaust

WinterFaust

Shimmer
Apr 13, 2020
Aku no hana anime was good. That one classroom scene with the paint though and the music lol

That scene was amazing! I really should finish that one soon.
Came to say Oyasumi Punpun but I got beat to that :P

Anything by Junji Ito, honestly.

Okay looks like a lot of votes for Oyasumi Punpun so I'll start that today :)

Junji Ito is amazing. I love his work so much

Reactions: kinzokukae
D

draw a circle

out.
Apr 10, 2020
Oof junji ito is amazing. I don't like ghost-type horror but junji ito's work is simply great. He doesn't rely on ghosts, but the imagery he made is definitely haunting. Some of his works are weirdly funny in a dark way too. I don't read much since I can't buy his comics here but from what I've seen I definitely like it. Also the man himself is pretty wholesome lol I heard he was a dental technician before being a full time mangaka

• Love
Reactions: WinterFaust and kinzokukae
W

WFJ74

Student
Aug 18, 2020
I'll throw my hat in for Fullmetal Alchemist as well. It changed my life.

• Love
Tonberry

Tonberry

Sep 8, 2018
A manwha titled "Sweet Home".

• Love
Reactions: WinterFaust
almost_dead

almost_dead

Arcanist
Aug 7, 2020
manwha ? LOL most of them dont even have good plots

TriggerHappy

TriggerHappy

In the kingdom of th blind; the one-eyed are kings
Jan 24, 2021
UROTSUKODOJI -LEGEND OF THE OVERFIEND. a classic un-family-friendly favourite.
- mind-blowing - even without lsd / psilocybin

perfect blue and... and.... there are so many!

Sprite_Geist

Sprite_Geist

NULL
May 27, 2020
After watching the Bleach anime I decided to get the first 2 volumes of the Bleach 3-in-1 manga. It is definitely recommended if you enjoy that series.

W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
There's a manga related to suicide which I love and I bet you also will:

Suicide Island - Jisatsutou

Check it out!

◄✵火✵〇°Ø•WÅR•Ī°〇✵火✵►

Student
Feb 22, 2021
I prefer anime but when it comes to manga, I only read BL lol (and only when I ran out of BL anime to watch). But I have very specific taste so probably boring/not interesting/(maybe shocking or controversial) to most haha. Therefore, this comment is pointless, sorry for wasting your time. Jk. BL, I recommend BL. The stories (if you choose them right) are super sweet and wholesome and interesting and sometimes extra-feels-inducing.

There's Shounen Ai and Yaoi, these 2 genres are both BL but Shounen Ai is more um... innocent? Yaoi though, is.... spicy.

Anyway. I recommend the BL manga called "Given", it has an anime adaptation. I only watched the anime version though, but I recommend the manga for those who prefer mangas. I don't want to spoil too much, so I will just say that it's amazing and it hit hard (probably because of my own personal experience(s)), the music especially... Actually, it's the whole thing, the whole thing/story hit hard and that's what makes the music hit even harder...

Anyway, prepare yourself(ves) if you decide to watch/read it or any other BL material hehe.

Other BL anime (that exist in manga form) that I liked: Given, Junjou Romantica and the other stories related to it, Sekaiichi Hatsukoi, Dakaretai Otoko, Love Stage, etc. All the romantic very little drama stuff mostly.

Last edited: