futurebuscatcher

futurebuscatcher

Cat Connoisseur
Sep 15, 2024
I know this is stupid and showing my ignorance here but I keep hearing from my Candian friends about MAID over there.

Apparently its real easy access to people with mental issues and some of my friends were really upset talking about saying how anyone with Bipolar or BPD or are disabled can get it done.

I tried to do research and only saw that it isn't implemented yet and all, and it's still being debating how liberal the rules will be. But ive also seen peoole say how easy it is.

Idk, can any Candians weigh in on this? I'm gonna try to ask my friends about it again and I'll post here.

EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

|| What Else Could I Be But a Jester ||
Oct 21, 2023
Yeah, no it isn't. A lot of people like to blow things out of proportion. You likely wouldn't be able to get MAID for a mental illness alone and MAID is only available to those who are eligible for health insurance here (only Canadian citizens and permanent residents).

Reactions: waiting93, NearlyIrrelevantCake and futurebuscatcher
futurebuscatcher

futurebuscatcher

Cat Connoisseur
Sep 15, 2024
Yeah, no it isn't. A lot of people like to blow things out of proportion. You likely wouldn't be able to get MAID for a mental illness alone and MAID is only available to those who are eligible for health insurance here (only Canadian citizens and permanent residents).
I had a feeling that was the case. Thank you homie

-Link-

-Link-

Deep Breaths
Aug 25, 2018
Some people in years past have had assisted dying for mental illness, but only because (I suppose) the legislation at the time was subject to interpretation. But that's not a happening thing right now because Canada's legislation currently specifically excludes mental illness.

MAID is scheduled to officially expand to the mentally ill in March 2027, but next year is an election year in which we're likely going to see a Conservative government take over from the current Liberals. The Conservative leader has specifically stated that if he's elected, he's going to put a stop to it altogether, so the March 2027 date doesn't really mean anything.

A constitutional challenge was recently filed in the province of Ontario, but I imagine it'll take a while before it makes its way up to our Supreme Court which, if they were to rule in our favour, would leave the government (of any party) no choice but to expand access to the mentally ill. Eventually.

I'd expect the likely-incoming Conservative government to fight it all the way to the bitter end, so it'll be the Supreme Court that makes the call.

Regardless, following what @EvisceratedJester said, I've never heard any talk at any point of opening up assisted dying services to foreign visitors. Canada will not become another option to Switzerland.

Reactions: waiting93, EvisceratedJester and NearlyIrrelevantCake
EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

|| What Else Could I Be But a Jester ||
Oct 21, 2023
Regardless, following what @EvisceratedJester said, I've never heard any talk at any point of opening up assisted dying services to foreign visitors.
The government is actively working against death tourism. They really don't want people coming here for MAID.

• Informative
Reactions: NearlyIrrelevantCake and -Link-