M

Midnight-rain

Student
Jan 1, 2020
The past two or three days I started chatting with a guy on a certain site. Not gonna name it for privacy reasons. It was going pretty well I thought, and I foolishly got my hopes up about us becoming friends. I'm a chronically lonely person and I broke up with my partner two or so months ago. I talked to my ex on the daily, so although I was relieved to have broken up with them the loneliness came back.

Hoping to fill the void, I recklessly messaged this guy, who'll be called H for the remainder of this post. I was shocked H responded at all. But we had a pleasant conversation. He complimented me a couple times...and I let myself believe them. I never learn, do I?

At some point H jokes about us meeting up at my place. I then decide to reply by saying, "I may wanna die but I'm not giving you my address." It was partially a joke about the safety of meeting an internet stranger and partially a confession of my suicidality. This blew up in my face. H's tone turned borderline aggressive and started telling me to not fucking kill myself, in his words. I try to explain myself and give him a list of my reasons but he either ignores what I have to say or tells me generic anti-ctb platitude #456973. After my endless attempts of trying to reason with him, I tell him I'm tired and am going to sleep.

The next day rolls around and he doesn't say anything. No good morning, no checking in, nothing. This worried me. I still wanted to befriend him even if I had to shut up about suicide permanently. It's not that different from previous "friendships" I've had in the past. I decide to open the wound and ask him to explain something. He's older than me by a decade, and H had exclaimed that, "You're young. Perspective changes." This makes me ask how he can explain the countless amount of older people who have ctb. Of course he ignores that and starts making me feel like garbage, only giving blanket statements similar to, "Your take is trash. I'm not gonna be convinced you're right because you're depressed."

The previous day H sent me a link to a discord server that he encouraged me to join and be involved in. I joined and sent my first message today. Not much time passed when I noticed that I didn't have access to the server anymore. Confused, I told H. He had kicked me himself. Or was responsible for it. I don't know. He said that he had hoped I hadn't joined because he felt I had been harassing him about the suicide "argument" (I only sought out a good faith discussion, but alas...). I never insulted him or said anything inflammatory.

Heart in my stomach I asked him upfront for clarification. He said he was cool with being friends with me not too long ago. I could just never bring up suicide again and still chat.

H said his feelings changed after our discussion. He claims I kept nagging him about it. So I told him, "This hurts me but do you want me to never speak to you again?"
"Yes."

I find it ironic (or hypocritical, sorry my mind is mush as I'm still very distraught from this and am likely using the terms incorrectly) that this man who claimed to care soooo much about me switches his attitude and blocks me from a resource HE shared to try and make me feel better. And this is what is especially rich, "Don't talk to me again but also don't kill yourself." As if he'd ever know the difference. Scumbag.

H breaking me off from both him and the server only made me more suicidal and proved my damn point.

I hate that people like this spew out the lies that they care. They fucking don't.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Tmbass, watchingthewheels, OpheliasFlowers and 13 others
BluesRunTheGame

BluesRunTheGame

Blackpilled
Dec 15, 2020
Don't waste another single second thinking about him. This is a suicide forum ffs and frankly he should be reported at the very least for being pro-life.

• Love
Reactions: ooglah, Euthanza, JealousOfTheElderly and 1 other person
M

Midnight-rain

Student
Jan 1, 2020
Don't waste another single second thinking about him. This is a suicide forum ffs and frankly he should be reported at the very least for being pro-life.
Sorry for the confusion. He wasn't on this forum. I know I worded it weird, I edited the post now. But thanks for this. At least he showed his true self to me quickly.

BluesRunTheGame

BluesRunTheGame

Blackpilled
Dec 15, 2020
Sorry for the confusion. He wasn't on this forum. I know I worded it weird, I edited the post now. But thanks for this. At least he showed his true self to me quickly.
Okay but yeah either way you're best off out of it.

• Love
Reactions: JealousOfTheElderly and Midnight-rain
C

Coffeebean77

Well… I tried.
Jul 28, 2022
That really sucks and sounds extra painful for a lonely person. Sorry you went through it. At least here, people will understand.

Reactions: OpheliasFlowers and Midnight-rain
L

Lone Wanderer

Student
Jul 28, 2022
It's okay. Not everyone will agree with what we want in the end, and that's okay. In the end all we have is ourselves. But hey, if you need a friend, you got me and pretty much everyone else on here.

• Hugs
Reactions: vindica, Tmbass, OpheliasFlowers and 3 others
M

Midnight-rain

Student
Jan 1, 2020
That really sucks and sounds extra painful for a lonely person. Sorry you went through it. At least here, people will understand.
Very much so. Considered relapsing tonight. But writting this out calmed me down.
SS is a new Tinder?
Thankfully this interaction did not occur on SS. If it had I'd have reported him.

• Hugs
Reactions: Zegers and Lone Wanderer
hungry_ghost

hungry_ghost

جهاد
Feb 21, 2022
Jesus.

People are fucking fickle, man.

With most people, you just can't talk about anything real.

As soon as shit gets real, they tune out.

It's like the Agent Smith effect.

Reactions: Tmbass, OpheliasFlowers, Isisnefert and 2 others
hellispink

hellispink

poisonous
May 26, 2022
Sadly, other people that do not feel like we do would never be able to understand none of our statements. That's why I avoid making comments about my feelings to other people, to avoid uncomfortable situations. I am sorry you went through this difficulty.

• Love
Reactions: OpheliasFlowers, katagiri83, chloramine and 2 others
S

summers

Visionary
Nov 4, 2020
The past two or three days I started chatting with a guy on this site.
This still sounds like you met him on SS.

Don't tell people about or burden people with you suicidality. I have never told anyone off this site about my plans, including people I sleep with. Maybe if you're going to enter a committed relationship, but before that - like on a first date - kind of a big downer.

Also, considering this guy's reaction - very very smart move not to give him your address. Glad that worked out - he sounds like the type that may resort to violence when he doesn't get his way...
SS is a new Tinder?
I mean, I'm not saying I've hooked with people on here, but I'm also not denying it...

• Wow
Reactions: Tarantula Girl, Iamchickenhat, Zegers and 2 others
Fadeawaaaay

Fadeawaaaay

Visionary
Nov 12, 2021
Sounds like a frustrating and disappointing experience. Sorry you had to go through that.

Reactions: Midnight-rain
M

Midnight-rain

Student
Jan 1, 2020
Sadly, other people that do not feel like we do would never be able to understand none of our statements. That's why I avoid making comments about my feelings to other people, to avoid uncomfortable situations. I am sorry you went through this difficulty.
It's truly frustrating because even the people who've been in our shoes once can and do still recite the lies of the anti-suicide movement. "Talk to someone" they say...yet the negative reactions I've had outnumber the positive ones. Hoping I can put this behind me.
This still sounds like you met him on SS.

Don't tell people about or burden people with you suicidality. I have never told anyone off this site about my plans, including people I sleep with. Maybe if you're going to enter a committed relationship, but before that - like on a first date - kind of a big downer.

Also, considering this guy's reaction - very very smart move not to give him your address. Glad that worked out - he sounds like the type that may resort to violence when he doesn't get his way...

I mean, I'm not saying I've hooked with people on here, but I'm also not denying it...
No worries, edited the post again. This is sound advice. Kinda tougher for me since I do have scars, but in that case I can lie and say it's behind me and will never do it again.

Last edited:
Reactions: hellispink
katagiri83

katagiri83

Like tears in rain
Jan 4, 2022
@Midnight-rain, It actually sounds like you're lucky to have found out about this kind of behavior in the early stage, instead of putting yourself in danger IRL.

Reactions: Iamchickenhat, Grav, chloramine and 1 other person
M

Midnight-rain

Student
Jan 1, 2020
@Midnight-rain, It actually sounds like you're lucky to have found out about this kind of behavior in the early stage, instead of putting yourself in danger IRL.
Very much so. Before this nasty altercation, I had started to consider talking about meeting irl in the future. Can't tell you how glad I am that that idea fell through.

Reactions: katagiri83
S

summers

Visionary
Nov 4, 2020
It's truly frustrating because even the people who've been in our shoes once can and do still recite the lies of the anti-suicide movement. "Talk to someone" they say...yet the negative reactions I've had outnumber the positive ones. Hoping I can put this behind me.

No worries, edited the post again. This is sound advice. Kinda tougher for me since I do have scars, but in that case I can lie and say it's behind me and will never do it again.
Honestly, even if the scars are obviously from an attempt, you can say they are from something weird. Scars on your wrist - you tried to sneak into a place with razor wire on the fence. Neck - an accident at a fair or amusement park. Car accidents are a cover-all.

Just be careful, if you lie about this, and wind up in a relationship, they will find out.
Very much so. Before this nasty altercation, I had started to consider talking about meeting irl in the future. Can't tell you how glad I am that that idea fell through.
100% always meet at a coffee shop, store, or someplace public. Don't go to a guys house in their car - drive yourself.

Reactions: katagiri83 and Midnight-rain
M

Midnight-rain

Student
Jan 1, 2020
Jesus.

People are fucking fickle, man.

With most people, you just can't talk about anything real.

As soon as shit gets real, they tune out.

It's like the Agent Smith effect.
Agreed. H also reassured me that he wanted to be trusted by me and that he had my safety in mind (pre "argument"). Glad this didn't turn out worse for me and I only wasted a few days on H.

• Hugs
Reactions: Iamchickenhat and katagiri83
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I do feel sad for you and I'm sorry that this happened. He sounded pretty aggressive in his response- which I don't think there is any excuse for. Plus, the whole thing about the server sounds very petty and vindictive.

That said- maybe he just didn't want to get hurt. If you feel really deeply and make close connections with people, it hurts like hell when you loose them. Most especially through suicide I imagine because the person chose it.

I'm sorry to have a go at you. I do understand that it's hard to cope with the loneliness. I expect you only said what you did because you felt comfortable enough to open up and be completely truthful about yourself.

From his point of view though, you have actively found and started communicating with him online. You seem to be wanting to build a close friendship with him but then you warn him that you may just leave via suicide. I agree that the way he handled it wasn't very sensitive but some people aren't strong enough to support someone 'end of life' as it were. I'm not saying that this is what you are asking for but maybe it's how he saw it.

I think- unless they have considered it themselves- so can empathise, or are extremely pro choice, or they believe you are only talking about it rather than considering doing it, many people (especially friends/loved ones) are going to struggle with the emotional response of loosing you to have a rational discussion about suicide.

I'd say- the majority of us are asking people to condone suicide when we talk about it- but they're likely not going to do this if that is not their own belief. If they get the hint that we might be considering it ourselves, they're likely to clam up even more.

I'm sorry that this has happened- I think having the hope of a deep friendship that is then lost is sometimes worse than having nothing. I hope you are able to recover from this and go on to find more understanding friends.

Reactions: Midnight-rain, Iamchickenhat and katagiri83
H

HoneyandGlass

Student
Jun 22, 2022
Sorry this happened. Good thing you did not give him your address and good you found out his true colours before investing too much time on him. I hope you soon find a way through the hurt and find friends who are worthy of your friendship.

FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
In my opinion, nothing good can come from trying to have conversations with pro lifers about suicide. Pro lifers are deluded as to the cruel reality of this existence. We are already suffering enough without others making things worse. It's sad how we live in a world where suicide is so stigmatised. There could never be anything wrong with suicide as there are no disadvantages to being dead. Suicide should be accepted and respected as being a personal choice.

• Love
W

William01

Student
Nov 2, 2021
The past two or three days I started chatting with a guy on a certain site. Not gonna name it for privacy reasons. It was going pretty well I thought, and I foolishly got my hopes up about us becoming friends. I'm a chronically lonely person and I broke up with my partner two or so months ago. I talked to my ex on the daily, so although I was relieved to have broken up with them the loneliness came back.

Hoping to fill the void, I recklessly messaged this guy, who'll be called H for the remainder of this post. I was shocked H responded at all. But we had a pleasant conversation. He complimented me a couple times...and I let myself believe them. I never learn, do I?

At some point H jokes about us meeting up at my place. I then decide to reply by saying, "I may wanna die but I'm not giving you my address." It was partially a joke about the safety of meeting an internet stranger and partially a confession of my suicidality. This blew up in my face. H's tone turned borderline aggressive and started telling me to not fucking kill myself, in his words. I try to explain myself and give him a list of my reasons but he either ignores what I have to say or tells me generic anti-ctb platitude #456973. After my endless attempts of trying to reason with him, I tell him I'm tired and am going to sleep.

The next day rolls around and he doesn't say anything. No good morning, no checking in, nothing. This worried me. I still wanted to befriend him even if I had to shut up about suicide permanently. It's not that different from previous "friendships" I've had in the past. I decide to open the wound and ask him to explain something. He's older than me by a decade, and H had exclaimed that, "You're young. Perspective changes." This makes me ask how he can explain the countless amount of older people who have ctb. Of course he ignores that and starts making me feel like garbage, only giving blanket statements similar to, "Your take is trash. I'm not gonna be convinced you're right because you're depressed."

The previous day H sent me a link to a discord server that he encouraged me to join and be involved in. I joined and sent my first message today. Not much time passed when I noticed that I didn't have access to the server anymore. Confused, I told H. He had kicked me himself. Or was responsible for it. I don't know. He said that he had hoped I hadn't joined because he felt I had been harassing him about the suicide "argument" (I only sought out a good faith discussion, but alas...). I never insulted him or said anything inflammatory.

Heart in my stomach I asked him upfront for clarification. He said he was cool with being friends with me not too long ago. I could just never bring up suicide again and still chat.

H said his feelings changed after our discussion. He claims I kept nagging him about it. So I told him, "This hurts me but do you want me to never speak to you again?"
"Yes."

I find it ironic (or hypocritical, sorry my mind is mush as I'm still very distraught from this and am likely using the terms incorrectly) that this man who claimed to care soooo much about me switches his attitude and blocks me from a resource HE shared to try and make me feel better. And this is what is especially rich, "Don't talk to me again but also don't kill yourself." As if he'd ever know the difference. Scumbag.

H breaking me off from both him and the server only made me more suicidal and proved my damn point.

I hate that people like this spew out the lies that they care. They fucking don't.
I no how hurtful this is... haven't read your full post. Am a bit drunk 🥴.... but yes I've had this experience thru the church ppl as well. In my experience ppl like that aren't worth bothering about.

M

Midnight-rain

Student
Jan 1, 2020
I do feel sad for you and I'm sorry that this happened. He sounded pretty aggressive in his response- which I don't think there is any excuse for. Plus, the whole thing about the server sounds very petty and vindictive.

That said- maybe he just didn't want to get hurt. If you feel really deeply and make close connections with people, it hurts like hell when you loose them. Most especially through suicide I imagine because the person chose it.

I'm sorry to have a go at you. I do understand that it's hard to cope with the loneliness. I expect you only said what you did because you felt comfortable enough to open up and be completely truthful about yourself.

From his point of view though, you have actively found and started communicating with him online. You seem to be wanting to build a close friendship with him but then you warn him that you may just leave via suicide. I agree that the way he handled it wasn't very sensitive but some people aren't strong enough to support someone 'end of life' as it were. I'm not saying that this is what you are asking for but maybe it's how he saw it.

I think- unless they have considered it themselves- so can empathise, or are extremely pro choice, or they believe you are only talking about it rather than considering doing it, many people (especially friends/loved ones) are going to struggle with the emotional response of loosing you to have a rational discussion about suicide.

I'd say- the majority of us are asking people to condone suicide when we talk about it- but they're likely not going to do this if that is not their own belief. If they get the hint that we might be considering it ourselves, they're likely to clam up even more.

I'm sorry that this has happened- I think having the hope of a deep friendship that is then lost is sometimes worse than having nothing. I hope you are able to recover from this and go on to find more understanding friends.
He created a welcoming atmosphere for me from the start which is why I had no problem revealing that about myself. And suicidality is my normal anyway and I've long since shed the tragedy connotation from the act in my mind. And don't worry I wasn't offended or anything by your comment. You are explaining his actions which frankly does make me feel a little better.

Explaining isn't excusing. It's unfortunate that he reacted so explosively but I can't let that bring me down. His emotions got in the way but that is in no way a reflection of myself or anyone else who successfully ctbs.

I'm in a dilemma. I simultaneously want friends and a partner and all that jazz but know that the more people I bring closer, the more hurt I'll cause when I ctb. But isolating myself only makes me feel more depressed. It's a lose-lose situation.
Sorry this happened. Good thing you did not give him your address and good you found out his true colours before investing too much time on him. I hope you soon find a way through the hurt and find friends who are worthy of your friendship.
Wish friendships were easier to create and maintain.

Reactions: Forever Sleep
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
He created a welcoming atmosphere for me from the start which is why I had no problem revealing that about myself. And suicidality is my normal anyway and I've long since shed the tragedy connotation from the act in my mind. And don't worry I wasn't offended or anything by your comment. You are explaining his actions which frankly does make me feel a little better.

Explaining isn't excusing. It's unfortunate that he reacted so explosively but I can't let that bring me down. His emotions got in the way but that is in no way a reflection of myself or anyone else who successfully ctbs.

I'm in a dilemma. I simultaneously want friends and a partner and all that jazz but know that the more people I bring closer, the more hurt I'll cause when I ctb. But isolating myself only makes me feel more depressed. It's a lose-lose situation.

Wish friendships were easier to create and maintain.
I'm glad I didn't offend you. I agree- it's a very difficult situation to be in. Many of us don't really know how long we will be here until we decide to ctb and it's very hard to isolate ourselves from everyone. I agree- it only leads to more depression. I just hope you are able to find more sympathetic friends in future. All the best to you.

• Love
rationaltake

rationaltake

I'm rocking it - in another universe
Sep 28, 2021
I'd be surprised if there wasn't a suicidal friendship site somewhere online. Coded I expect.

Last edited:
W

Why Me?

Experienced
Apr 5, 2022

"Yes."

People are weird as hell. He will be friends with you as long as you don't bring up that you're suicidal? Basically he wants to be able to use you for companionship without really caring about you, or having to deal with you making him uncomfortable even if your life is on the line. His character is exposed, and he is not friendship material.

I had an experience in high school where a guy had a crush on me, and we were talking on the phone once. I told him that I had taken a bunch of pills, and he hung up on me. There was no conversation, he just got upset, and hung up on me.

Another time, I was trying to become friends with a neighbor who lived in the same apartment building, and I opened up to her that I was going thru a dark time. She kept her distance, and then would call me like once every 2 weeks to "check on me," but I knew she was just checking to see if she felt I was worth talking to by no longer needing her emotional support.

People can be really selfish, but they will never admit it, they will just gaslight you. Don't let people like this drive you crazy, just cut them off and move on.

• Aww..
Reactions: Lost Magic and Marktheghost
KuriGohan&Kamehameha

KuriGohan&Kamehameha

想死不能 - 想活不能
Nov 23, 2020
You're better off without a friend like that. Anyone who would deliberately cut you off from outside sources of support like that server, while knowing you're suicidal, is severely lacking in compassion.

Reactions: Why Me?