• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

H

hematomatema

Feb 29, 2024
This is the second time I'll be attempting. First time I got referred to a psychiatrist, said I was feeling passively suicidal but better afterwards, and it was all fine. Had to go weekly to this councilling sort of thing but that was it for 12 weeks.

However I intend on attempting again and, while I'm fairly confident in my technique, there's still a sliver of a chance I survive, given how little solid information I can find on the method. If it goes wrong, what is the likelihood that they section me, be that informally or formally? If it is informal but I still have to whether I like it or not, is my only choice to flee from anyone who could actually section me? How long do they typically keep you? I live in the U.K. if this changes anything.

bunny_brownie9

bunny_brownie9

so terribly lost
Jan 1, 2024
there's a good chance that if you attempt they won't section you, they may, they may not.. but honestly even attempts don't usually get you sectioned anymore

Reactions: alltoomuch2
T

timetodie24

Mage
Apr 14, 2023
there's a good chance that if you attempt they won't section you, they may, they may not.. but honestly even attempts don't usually get you sectioned anymore
yeah seems to really vary in uk. I've had attempts and was only sectioned after 1 of them. It just depends on many things like who you get for assessment, history, diagnosis, seriousness of attempt, support you have at home, how much further assessment and treatment you need, risk (e.g do you regret attempt and have further plan) etc.
In my case - My MH team had already been considering sectioning prior to that attempt, my parents wanted me sectioned, was living with friends who were rarely home, i didn't agree to crisis team or informal admission. They were unsure on diagnosis and i had no idea what could help and neither did they. So i stupidly left them no choice.

if you are sectioned you are usually put on a section 2 first which lasts up to 28 days but they can decide to discharge at any point before it runs out. It can't be renewed but before it runs out they can transfer you to a section 3 which can last up to 6 months ( is less likely as stricter criteria. Unlike s2 there has to be a specific diagnosis) and can be renewed , first for 6 months then for 12 months at a time . You can request a tribunal to appeal sections and for s3 your nearest relative (like next of kin but automatically assigned) has a right to discharge you . Most likely you'd end up on a section 2 and discharged or made 'informal' within the 28 days. I was on section 2 for 3 weeks, stayed informal for a further week and then self-discharged.
If they suggested hospital and you agree, they may allow you to go 'informal/voluntary' instead . But often they will threaten section if you want to self-discharge from informal before they feel you're ready.
More info here - https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/legal-rights/sectioning/about-sectioning/

Last edited:
N

Neraul

Oct 25, 2023
This is the second time I'll be attempting. First time I got referred to a psychiatrist, said I was feeling passively suicidal but better afterwards, and it was all fine. Had to go weekly to this councilling sort of thing but that was it for 12 weeks.

However I intend on attempting again and, while I'm fairly confident in my technique, there's still a sliver of a chance I survive, given how little solid information I can find on the method. If it goes wrong, what is the likelihood that they section me, be that informally or formally? If it is informal but I still have to whether I like it or not, is my only choice to flee from anyone who could actually section me? How long do they typically keep you? I live in the U.K. if this changes anything.
I wasn't sectioned. I wasn't discharged until MH had seen me once I was medically stable. This was after an attempt that I barely recall, I woke up 12 hours later in resus and was hospitalised for 3 days. I had a good go but it wasn't in line with my original plan - I simply couldn't wait any longer.
I told them I wouldn't do it again as it had been impulsive and it would hurt people and they let me go. I was already under MH services and had had crisis intervention etc. I left with the intention of doing it again immediately as I went home alone to my empty home. Didn't realise my method had been removed. No threat of section. I should definitely have been sectioned tbh šŸ¤”

LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
I wouldn't say it's an absolute guarantee depending on a multitude of factors but it's likely enough to be a safe assumption.

U

UKscotty

Doesn't read PMs
May 20, 2021
Very unlikely, just like the prisons the mental health units are also all over capacity at the moment.

Unless you are an immediate risk, you will be sent back home with a emotions and thoughts work sheet and told to wait for an appointment with a therapist.

Reactions: alltoomuch2
Endless_suffering

Endless_suffering

I want out
Jul 12, 2024
I have a friend in the uk who had been in the picu on a section 3 for months now after an attempt. She's been fighting to be discharged for a long time. Apparently the UK is more anal retentive the the USA about suicide. Be careful