• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

BipolarGuy

BipolarGuy

Enlightened
Aug 6, 2020
Since I'm planning on bringing things to an end pretty soon, I thought I would make a thread concerning lessons I have learned throughout my life.
Do feel free to add to the list.

I'm not entirely sure why I'm doing this. Perhaps just to feel as though I'm passing on some of the things I've learned.
Maybe this thread will help and encourage others in some small way. Maybe it will help some people to understand a situation they're in currently or have been in.
Who knows?

Some of the things I mention here are tough life lessons that you learn through experience, while some are just basic observations about people and society that are just worth bearing in mind.
Sometimes I will provide one example from my life to demonstrate the point.

1)
Don't live somebody else's life

When my dad was a young man he wanted to be a mechanic in the air force. He did not achieve this due to not grasping opportunities that were presented to him, including actually being initially accepted into the air force but then not following through with it!
He had other opportunities presented to him as well. For instance when he was between 18/19 his family organised to 'get him in the door' at Rolls Royce. His family used their contacts to get him an offer of an engineering apprenticeship. He accepted the offer of an apprenticeship but pulled out last minute because he didn't have the b***s to move away from home and build a life of his own.
Years later, he came to greatly regret not following his dreams earlier in life.
He projected this on to me, and when I was younger he tried to drive me towards being a mechanic in the air force despite me having no interest in this.

At 14/15, it got to the stage where I had to stand up to him and assert myself, telling him that I'll do what I want to do and not what he wanted to do himself.
I went on to follow the academic pathway, going to college and then university. I was the first member of my family to go to university.

You have to follow your own dreams, not live somebody else's life or do what somebody else thinks is best for you. Do not feel you have to do what somebody else wants just to make them happy, and do not feel guilty for following your own path.

2) Not every 'friend' will fight your corner

When I was at university, I worked at a supermarket during Summer and Christmas vacations.
I got to know a girl there quite well, and she liked me romantically. However I did not allow anything to happen due to her having a boyfriend. She was quite attractive, but I was put off of her making a move on me while in a relationship; "how could I possibly trust her if I was in a relationship with her", I thought to myself.
We lost touch when I stopped working there. She removed me from social media due to her boyfriend not wanting her to have contact with me.
9 years later I received a friend request from her on Facebook out of the blue.
She said she split up with her previous boyfriend and wants to reconnect.
We start meeting up, and it is clear that the old feelings are there.
We meet up a number of times and spend a lot of time messaging each other.
One time she asked me about how I'm feeling, as she saw a post on Facebook about me feeling really low. I tell her the truth, of course.
Now, bear in mind that at this point she is a trained paramedic and also tells me that she has gone through depression herself. She hasn't tried to end her life, but she says she had thought about how she would if she ever did.
Despite being in a position where she should know better, she says she wants nothing more to do with me, that I'm negative, and that she doesn't want dramatic BS in her life.
Cherry on the cake: she is the sort of person who uploads 'motivational quotes' and mental health awareness posts on social media.

Expecting people to be empathetic, logical or even consistent, while seemingly a reasonable thing to ask, will lead to frustration and disappointment.
No matter how well you think you know somebody, always be ready for a surprise.

3) The academic pathway isn't for everyone

Decades ago everyone understood the adage "it takes all kinds to make the world go round".
These days, you might be made to feel that you're valued less if you didn't go to college or university.

Your ability to contribute to society is not determined by whether you have a degree.
In fact many people who do have a degree then have to retrain when they come to get a job. For instance teachers have to go through teacher training after their degree, and accountants have to go through accountancy training. Plus, unless you go on to actually work in academic, most/all of what you learn at college or university will not be used in your career and will be completely forgotten.

That hot shot lawyer. Who maintains their car?
The cocky accountant. Who makes it possible for them to do their shopping?

The coronavirus lockdown has taught us a lot about who we really need in society.

Value yourself even if others don't.

4) Blood isn't always thicker than water

I have a very dysfunctional family.
I experienced emotional abuse as a child, from both my mother and father.
When I decided to follow my own pathway and go down the academic route, my family would literally gang up to mock me and wind me up. It was as though they couldn't understand that someone would want to do something other than have multiple children before reaching the age of 19.
Jealousy, gas-lighting and manipulation was rife.

Sometimes people feel they have a right to treat those closest to them worse than they would treat anybody else. Get away from it as soon as you are able.

5) Do the right thing, always!

I was working at a high school as a maths teacher. The school was going through a restructure and I was made redundant.
I started working at another school.
When I started working at this other school, one of the teachers got talking to me about the school I used to work at.
For some reason she was very interested in exactly what was going wrong at the school and who was to blame.
I just said that the school is going through a tough time and all teaching staff there are passionate about their ability to make a difference in the student's lives.
"Ohhh, keeping it professional, I see!", she replied.
There was a feeling that I was being professional because I was new at the school, but that she expected to be able to get info out of me once I had settled in.
Bear in mind that I could easily have engaged with this in order to pursue a sense of 'acceptance' or 'fitting in' with my new colleague(s).

Through getting to know the place, I discovered that this teacher was one of the 'in' crowd - you know what I mean, that small circle of chatterboxes that somehow get to know everything, even confidential stuff.
I discovered through observation that she was an incredibly bitchy person, and I felt relieved that I had not told her anything.

Just a few months into the academic year, the headteacher was forced to give her a formal reprimand as she was found to have been bitching about colleagues on social media. She was spreading baseless rumors and stirring things up.
After all this came out, nobody told her anything, her reputation was ruined and nobody had the same respect for her as they once had. She had, to an extent, isolated herself.

This is just one example of many that I could share.

Put your integrity above your desire to fit in. Fitting in is always temporary, whereas your integrity lasts forever.
If you feel as though you're right in a room full of people who you feel are wrong, don't be afraid of being the 'maverick'.

6) The dating game

I'm a young guy, but I have no idea what's going on with the dating scene these days!

Decades ago (maybe not even that long ago) people would tell each other if they had feelings for each other. Sure it took courage, but people would say it.
These days society makes a massive song and dance about it.
I mean sure, it's important to get to know each other before knowing if you'd like to spend the rest of your life with someone, but it's not as though you're going to go from dating straight to marriage. There is that in between period where you're in a relationship but are not married.

And it's so artificial too.
Afterward, you review the 'date'!
You judge the quality of the conversation and how easily it 'flowed'. You judge the amount of eye contact made.
Unless it was dead silent, or they were looking at you like a serial killer, it doesn't matter god damn it!
Besides, do you think that every conversation is going to be like this one conversation you had on this one date?

This point is just an observation.
I don't see this changing, but I wish things could go back to when it was simpler.

7) Don't expect to make a difference by complaining

This is especially true for government organisations, but also applies to some large companies.

More often than not making a formal complaint will not change anything unless something of such extraordinary seriousness has happened, and even then it isn't guaranteed!
Don't ever believe that internal complaints departments are unbiased or independent in any way, because they're not.
Internal complaints processes are designed to assure you that your complaint has been looked into in order to dissuade you from taking your complaint further, especially in the case where the next stage would be to an external authority.
Some organisations even have a response template that they change slightly depending on the details of each case.
If you try to be assertive and ask what has actually been done internally as a result of your complaint, you may even find that the organisation is unwilling to give you this information and will cite 'data protection' as the excuse.

Of course it shouldn't be like this, but it is.

8) Not everyone is altruistic

This may seem obvious at first but for genuine, honest people this is a difficult lesson to learn.

Not everybody has honest or genuine motivations or intentions, and not everybody does things for the right reasons.

The teacher who was motivated by 'making a difference', but now just cares about getting the next promotion.
That person who got their promotion not because of how brilliant they are at the job, but because they engage in 'office politics' and brown nosing.
The old friend who you haven't heard from in a long time who gets in touch to ask how you are....then stops messaging you when they've got the information/gossip they were after.
The church pastor who constantly asks for more money from the congregation, only to enrich himself.
The rich person who gives money to a charity in a public way and enjoys the publicity.
The politician whose job is to serve the public, but who ensures that contracts are handed to friend's businesses, for which he/she is rewarded.

I could go on, but you get the idea.
I have said before on this forum that I often feel that I'm too straight for this world. Sadly, people's intentions are very rarely genuine or pure. Sometimes I feel that the more bent you are the more you'll 'achieve'. Sometimes I feel that if you're a total sociopath, you'll rise to the top.
Again, this is not how it should be, but it is.

9) Don't forget to account for real life

This is just an observation.

People often get into debates about various things, but fail to account for individuality or the complexities or nuances of real life.
Politicians debate the future of a nation based only on their simplistic political ideology.
People, perhaps friends, will debate (for example on this forum) about various things. Points are made that sound good, but are too simplistic when applied to the real world.

People make plans for things in their life years in advance, but don't account for anything that might happen along the way.

I say this as a mathematician: the scientific method is used as a rigorous method for determining truth from untruth, but that doesn't mean that something isn't true just because there isn't scientific evidence for it!
We accept that things are true, or that they exist, without having a full understanding of them. Emotions, for instance.
We accept that our scientific understanding of the universe is incomplete.
If you look at the world only through the spectacles of the scientific method, you won't be able to see clearly.

10) Shop around

I know this may sound obvious, but you will be surprised by the number of people who shop around to get the best deal on their weekly shop but fail to assess all the options when making much more important decisions: buying a car, getting a mortgage, etc.

Buying a car:
The car sales office will helpfully offer you finance.
They don't finance the purchase themselves, they have a partnership with an external finance company.
The car sales office earns a commission on every customer they sell finance to on behalf of this finance company. It's another revenue stream for them.
If you want car finance, look around.
Typically you may be able to half the interest you'll pay if you shop around (even a bank will have a much lower interest than one of these third party finance companies).

Mortgage:
Don't settle for a bank, at least not directly.
A bank's headline interest rate isn't what rate they offer to the mortgage brokers that they work with, who get a lower rate.
Shop around. For instance ask mortgage brokers and use comparison sites.

These principles of course apply to other areas too.

11) Listen to understand, don't listen to respond

Do you ever feel like you're trying to explain something to someone and they seem to have an 'answer' for everything, even if you're not looking for an answer but are looking for empathy or understanding?

Perhaps you want people to understand how you're feeling inside. But all they do is offer cold practical advice (advice is fine, but sometimes you need to be understood).
Maybe you're in conversation with somebody who has a different opinion to you on something, and all they seem to want to do is convince you that they're right.

This happens when people listen to you so that they can use what you say to respond to what you've said, rather than listening to you to understand what you're saying.

In short, don't do this.
Aim to get your head out of the echo chamber!

That's it for now. I'll perhaps edit the post at a later date if I think of anything else.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, Worthless_nobody, Mr2005 and 23 others
G

GoneGoneGone

Enlightened
Apr 1, 2020
Thank you, this was very kind for you to share :hug:

Reactions: BipolarGuy
BipolarGuy

BipolarGuy

Enlightened
Aug 6, 2020
Thank you, this was very kind for you to share :hug:
Thank you.
They were genuine lessons I've learned myself, not just some rubbish I read on the internet.

The 'titles' of each point make the lesson sound obvious, but often in subtle or complex situations it may be unclear how to apply the principle, which is why I provided a few examples.

Reactions: GoneGoneGone
G

GoneGoneGone

Enlightened
Apr 1, 2020
Thank you.
They were genuine lessons I've learned myself, not just some rubbish I read on the internet.

The 'titles' of each point make the lesson sound obvious, but often in subtle or complex situations it may be unclear how to apply the principle, which is why I provided a few examples.
Any advice for dating?
You said you wish things were simpler.

VSAA

VSAA

Sep 21, 2020
Life's a bitch and then we die. That's my motto.

• Love
Reactions: Reach, Hazelnut and voidman
BipolarGuy

BipolarGuy

Enlightened
Aug 6, 2020
In what sense do you wish it was simpler?

I think 'society' makes a song and dance of 'dating' these days. At least more than it did years ago.

I like meeting people and feeling as though I can be myself. Yes of course you want to make a good impression, but I feel that the vast majority of people have such a wall up between each other than breaking through this can feel like an impossible hurdle.
I feel that a date, especially a first date, is wrapped up more than it needs to be in a weird need to 'make a good impression' rather than getting to know each other in a meaningful way.

I have met only three people in my life who I immediately connected with in a totally fluid way. I don't just mean we got on from day one, I mean we just instantly connected in quite a deep way.
I wish it could always be like that.

Last edited:
Reactions: mahakaliSS_MahaDurga and Hazelnut
Dreamless Sleep

Dreamless Sleep

The eternal night before chaos...
Feb 1, 2020
Very good info, and I agree with your observations. Especially the one about family. I think people just assume they have to maintain family relationships out of some genetic obligation.... no matter how toxic that person may be.

I cut off all communication with 2 immediate family members some years back when I finally realized all they did was bring pain into my life. No regrets.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Hazelnut and BipolarGuy
G

GoneGoneGone

Enlightened
Apr 1, 2020
I think 'society' makes a song and dance of 'dating' these days. At least more than it did years ago.

I like meeting people and feeling as though I can be myself. Yes of course you want to make a good impression, but I feel that the vast majority of people have such a wall up between each other than breaking through this can feel like an impossible hurdle.
I feel that a date, especially a first date, I wrapped up more than it needs to be in a weird need to 'make a good impression' rather than getting to know each other in a meaningful way.

I have met only three people in my life who I immediately connected with in a totally fluid way. I don't just mean we got on from day one, I mean we just instantly connected in quite a deep way.
I wish it could always be like that.
I mean sadly everyone pretends and postures for months sometimes in the beginning, trying to create a persona that they think it's desirable for the other person. Until one day the illusion is over and done with.

Reactions: Hazelnut
BipolarGuy

BipolarGuy

Enlightened
Aug 6, 2020
Very good info, and I agree with your observations. Especially the one about family. I think people just assume they have to maintain family relationships out of some genetic obligation.... no matter how toxic that person may be.

I cut off all communication with 2 immediate family members some years back when I finally realized all they did was bring pain into my life. No regrets.
Totally agree.

I did the same.
I now have nothing to do with either of my parents. I have kicked my sister out of my life, and have very little to do with the rest of the family (although I haven't actually kicked everyone out of my life).

• Hugs
Reactions: Hazelnut and Dreamless Sleep
Hazelnut

Hazelnut

Sep 15, 2020
Thank you so much for all these great advices! You obviously learned a lot through people's bullshit :heart:
I wish I knew some of them earlier in my life... Pretty sure it would have helped me to not end up in a lot of troubles, haha...

If I had one lesson that I should add, it would be the fact that people don't truly like or love you, even family members.
They just enjoy the way you make them feel, or the resources that you bring to them.
Absolutely nothing is genuine, even the most altruistic act.

Having such a rational opinion about it makes me incredibly hopeless and lonely. It feels impossible to truly "connect" with another human being... Like this unconditional and wonderful love that some people witness during near-death experience.
And I'm aware I might be wrong, but I guess it will help me at the end when SI will be back full force...

Reactions: it's_all_a_game, crybaby, BipolarGuy and 1 other person
HelloHell

HelloHell

Arcanist
Dec 26, 2019
Wow these are some great advices!
Thank you so much for sharing. I like your way of thinking, very similar to mine.

Reactions: BipolarGuy and Hazelnut
FewerMoats

FewerMoats

Sep 1, 2020
Don't let people treat you like shit. Stand up for yourself when dealing with toxic people, be it family or friends. You do NOT have to deal with those people.

• Love
Reactions: puppy9, BipolarGuy, Hazelnut and 1 other person
BipolarGuy

BipolarGuy

Enlightened
Aug 6, 2020
Don't let people treat you like shit. Stand up for yourself when dealing with toxic people, be it family or friends. You do NOT have to deal with those people.
I agree.

You are not obliged to accept abuse just because it's family that's abusing you.
You should be treated better by family, not worse!

K

kqlysrsly

Sep 15, 2020
Life lesson:
People hate people

Cherrypea

Cherrypea

I remember when all this will be again
May 3, 2020
Be kind and understand other people are often suffering in their own way.
And accept as many invites as you can, I feel so many lost opportunities behind me.
Oh and you can always park closer than you think.

Reactions: Sinkinshyp, Blueman, mahakaliSS_MahaDurga and 1 other person
BipolarGuy

BipolarGuy

Enlightened
Aug 6, 2020
Oh and you can always park closer than you think.
This is actually true.
Only yesterday we were visiting the in laws and my 'other half' said she didn't fancy walking, so I kept trying to find somewhere closer.
It's surprising how close you get when you try.
Anyway long story short, I'm now banned from the in law's.

Vauxhall Corsa skids on ice and smashes through familys living room window

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Ghost2211, Sinkinshyp, Cherrypea and 3 others
R

rt1989526

Paragon
Aug 2, 2020
Life Lesson: don't take SSRI medication or they'll make your dick numb and your urinary tract not work properly.

BipolarGuy

BipolarGuy

Enlightened
Aug 6, 2020
I have another genuine observation.
This one is mainly targeted at women.

12) Work from home 'business opportunities'

This one is mainly targeted at women as I have not seen as many targeted towards men.

These 'work from home business opportunities' that you see are mostly scams: pyramid schemes or multi-level marketing schemes.

Plenty are targeted towards women; selling candles, beauty products, supplements, etc.

There are many forms that these schemes might take but one example is that you sign-up and are invited on a "super duper fantastic amazing smiley training course" with a 'manager'.

You may be told that you'll "be your own boss" or that "you'll own your own business".

Then, you have to pay for the products that you'll then sell on!
Typically there is a no returns policy and so if you don't sell them you'll have to count your losses.

You may be encouraged to sign other people up to become an agent/rep/sales person.

It's all complete rubbish, and anyone with a living brain cell in their heads will be able to see it for what it is.

But people get sucked in, overcome by the "warmth and positivity" of the bluster, and end up passionately speaking up for a system that is literally scamming them.

• Love
Reactions: mahakaliSS_MahaDurga, Blueman and Deleted member 19654
Deleted member 19654

Deleted member 19654

Working towards recovery.
Jul 9, 2020
I hated seeing all that MLM/pyramid scheme bullshit all over Facebook before I deleted all my social media. It was annoying when people would send me long messages pretending to care about me, just so that they can try and rope me into joining their 'business' or to try and sell me essential oils that can cure you from all heath problems.

It's predatory behaviour and it targets people that are more vulnerable. A lot of them are like bloody cults.

Reactions: mahakaliSS_MahaDurga and BipolarGuy
BipolarGuy

BipolarGuy

Enlightened
Aug 6, 2020
I hated seeing all that MLM/pyramid scheme bullshit all over Facebook before I deleted all my social media. It was annoying when people would send me long messages pretending to care about me, just so that they can try and rope me into joining their 'business' or to try and sell me essential oils that can cure you from all heath problems.

It's predatory behaviour and it targets people that are more vulnerable. A lot of them are like bloody cults.
My way of dealing with it is to ask very technical questions and engage them in a deep conversation.

For example my cousin's girlfriend became ensnared by one of these, I forget the name of it, but selling supplements.
She once got in touch with me, and I engaged her in a massive conversation about the differences between D2 and D3 on the molecular level and how it reacts differently in the body (chemically).
She got bored and stopped messaging me.

Reactions: mahakaliSS_MahaDurga and Deleted member 19654
P

pole

Global Mod
Sep 18, 2018
hey, hope you're doing well.

very appreciative of you for taking your time out to sort of speak on life lessons that may help other people possibly experiencing and living through those at this very time. i've also bookmarked it and do feel it can help members down the road with just rethinking about possible experiences with a different perspective.

hope you find peace with whatever you choose to do.

take care.

• Love
Reactions: BipolarGuy
BipolarGuy

BipolarGuy

Enlightened
Aug 6, 2020
hey, hope you're doing well.

very appreciative of you for taking your time out to sort of speak on life lessons that may help other people possibly experiencing and living through those at this very time. i've also bookmarked it and do feel it can help members down the road with just rethinking about possible experiences with a different perspective.

hope you find peace with whatever you choose to do.

take care.
Hey :)
Many thanks for your message. I hope you're well too - it can't be easy owning or moderating a forum where you're constantly reading posts about depression or suicide?
Thanks for book marking my thread x

• Love
Reactions: pole
BipolarGuy

BipolarGuy

Enlightened
Aug 6, 2020
I have another observation to add.
I could probably write an entire thread just on this topic, so this is deserving of its own comment.

13) Religion and new age spiritualism

Firstly, this point is not about whether any claims made by religions or 'spiritualism' are true/false.
I cannot say for certain whether a God exists or not.
This post is about some of the practices and thinking behind such groups or organisations.

For information, I am an accountant.
For approximately 2.5 years I did the accounts, bookkeeping and other consulting work for a large Hillsong church.
I knew the numbers just as well if not better than anybody else there.
I became a member of that church - I was pretty much sucked into it. I am not a member of the church anymore and I am not religious.

Let's deal with 'new age spiritualism' to start with.
Although some of the ideas or practices may be very old, their popularity has exploded within the last 10 years.
Such ideas and practices include chakras, 'energy work', astrology, card readings, using stones or crystals for healing, past life therapy, etc.

None of this has any scientific basis whatsoever, and there is no indication at all that any of this is based in reality.

Sometimes you may witness proponents of such practices using pseudo-scientific jargon to explain how these practices work.
The words "quantum" or "physics" may be used, among others. These words are being used completely out of context and in a way that is contrary to the very definition of the words.

Now let's deal with religion.
I stated above that I have direct experience with this.

There are so called 'churches' around the world that market themselves as being 'fresh' and 'hip'. Examples include Hillsong and C3.
Whether you are religious or not, these so called 'churches' teach the Bible incorrectly.

Example:
Both 'churches' will tell you that Christians must give 10% of their income to the church.
"This is called a tithe", they will say.
This is false!
The definition of a tithe has three parts to it, not just one:
1. 10% gross (not net)
2. Given as a sacrifice to the Levitical priesthood by old testament believers
3. It is compulsory, not a choice
A tithe does not apply to modern day Christians, and anybody that tells you otherwise is a false teacher.

Moving on...ever wondered why these churches push the idea of giving them money (and use the bible to 'justify' this), but don't seem to care about other old testament laws such as not wearing clothes of multiple materials?

It's because they're wolves in sheep's clothing.
Trust me, I know!
I've seen how the money gets spent...

These churches have multiple 'opportunities' to give (read: pressure to hand over your money).
Such examples include Love Offerings and Kingdom Builders.

A Love Offering for instance is where the congregation would give money to a visiting speaker.
While it may be nice to cover their costs as a way of saying "thank you", I know for a fact that they are sent away with thousands of pounds, plus the church pays for their costs anyway (travel, accommodation, etc).

When I used to do the finances for the church, the pastor would have his costs covered by the church he would visit, but he would then claim back the expenses from his own church too!
Furthermore, he would not declare the Love Offerings he received on his tax return (we're talking thousands!).
This represents multiple counts of fraud.

Law enforcement is aware that fraud is being committed in religious circles, and are investigating.

I'm not a gay person myself, but these 'churches' are also anti-gay.
If questioned openly or publicly, they will say that they are a "home to everyone" and that they're a "broad church".
The reality is that gay people are on the quiet discouraged against seeking a relationship.
Some are even subtly encouraged to change.
I have seen this happen. I wouldn't say otherwise.

These churches also tightly control everything from who you get into a relationship with (must be someone inside the larger church), to how you interpret the bible.
The more you 'comply' or follow the lead of the 'elders' or pastor, the more respect you will be given by them. It's basically a circle: "we'll like you more if you do what we want of you".
Please understand that mostly all of this will be very subtle. It will mostly be driven by social pressures and the way people are towards you, rather than somebody coming out and directly trying to tell you what to do. If somebody is direct with you, things will be said under the guide of 'helpful advice'.

The reason I don't go there anymore is because they tried to manipulate me to give them money.
That didn't work!
Instead, they found themselves being presented with a 5 page document, written by me, that examined why their interpretation of tithing is biblically inaccurate.
They didn't like this one bit, and outright asked me not to share the document with others!
We fell out over this and I left them without an accountant.

There also tends to be an in-circle of people who get along with the pastor.
These people usually sit at the front, and often exchange infantile 'in jokes' even when preaching on stage. This in-circle tends to be people who the lead pastor has 'allowed' to preach.
In the church I was at each of the members of this group were given a credit card that granted them access to the church finances, which they used to pay for their personal car fuel and lunches. This is also fraud.

You'll find in 'churches' like this that the pastor is paid a decent wage. This is fair enough because nobody should live in poverty.
But their rent is also paid for by the church, their lease car is also paid for, along with their utility bills!
The pastor's wife is also given a full-time wage despite nobody really being able to say what she does, if anything. Maybe she'll preach once in a blue moon.

I've shared some of my experiences.
The greater point is this: don't assume that belief in a deity makes anybody a good person. You will be surprised how such places can become home to master manipulators. And I do mean master manipulators!
Don't let your guard down based on the fact that you're made to feel welcome.
They will ask you to judge them on a different standard that you would judge everything else. This is done in various ways, for instance by saying that "we hold ourself to a higher, biblical standard", but then asking you to accept things that would not be right in any other situation. In my case, as the finance guy, I had one guy tell me that finances work differently in churches and that it's ok to spend money you haven't got because you hope that god will provide what you need! This is obviously rubbish - you get the money together first, then spend it, not the other way around. If numbers don't add up then you're in the s**t, church or not!
There is a reason they try to get you to use a different standard to judge them: they're trying to blind you with religious dogma in an attempt to circumnavigate your intellect.

Last edited:
Reactions: mahakaliSS_MahaDurga, Worthless_nobody and Lilacmoon
Mr2005

Mr2005

Don't shoot the messenger, give me the gun
Sep 25, 2018
Nice post! Here's a few. "Time waits for no man" " Don't know what you've got until it's gone " "Youth is wasted on the young" . All these have come to have great significance for me. No doubt written by someone suffering as a consequence. "You live and learn" is another only I think learning from it and living with it are two different things

Last edited:
K

kqlysrsly

Sep 15, 2020
Nice post! Here's a few. "Time waits for no man" " Don't know what you've got until it's gone " "Youth is wasted on the young" . All these have come to have great significance for me. No doubt written by someone suffering as a consequence. "You live and learn" is another only I think learning from it and living with it are two different things
You live and learn.
Expand that pelease. What do you learn?